“Great Opportunity To Learn about the Tibetan Situation”

The Tibetan Encounter Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 145 Tours in Pokhara
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Tibetan Encounter tour is an unique opportunity to spend a day in a local Tibetan communities and have an opportunity to learn about Tibet and rich Buddhist culture/heritage in Nepal under the guidance from His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Tibetan encounter wasn't really part of my itinerary when I went to Pokhara last week, but when i read about it, i suddenly got interested about going through this experience. I'm glad I did because i learned a lot about the situation of the refugees and their lives. Although, it was raining non-stop that day, the weather only added a whole new dimension to the experience. We have met only quite a few of the refugees since most where in their homes keeping dry that day, so i think that made it all the more unique and real. And the highlight of the day was the lunch in a Tibetan restaurant, the mixed Thukpa (noodle soup and momo) was the best one i've had in Nepal. I have to thank Mr. Thupten for this wonderful experience - his extensive knowledge and his wonderful insights - you know everytime he speaks about his country and his heritage it comes from his heart. I'll definitely do this all over again.

thupten g, Owner at The Tibetan Encounter Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Tashi Delek! Thank you so much for taking your previous time in writing a review for our tour. It's my great pleasure to show and explain about our rich Tibetan culture, tradition, religion,language etc. to you. Like to show and explain more in future if needed.

Best regards,
Thupten Gyatso ( Tour Operator ).

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I really wanted to know more about tibetan culture, thanks to this tour I have been able to see how tibetan refugees lived in nepal as well as learning from locals about tibetan medicine, buddhism, culture and also political struggle. Thanks a lot to our guide for this great experience.

Tashi Delek ! It's my great pleasure to show and share some of my experiences about our rich Tibetan culture, tradition, religion, language etc. Thank you very much for participating in my tour to know a little bit about our country " TIBET". Once again than you so much for taking your previous time in writing your great review.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Like many people, I did not know much about the Tibetan situation. So when I came to Nepal and found out there were many Tibetan refugee settlements, I was very interested in knowing more. This tour is a great way to see how the refugees and the current generations are currently living in Nepal today. I chose to do the two day tour and it will be an experience I will most definitely remember about my time in Nepal. It is a chance to see and experience temporarily of what life is like in this Tibetan community. Thupten is a great guide. He is very informative and passionate about his work. If you have some time after all the trekking or want a more cultural aspect to your trip to Nepal, I highly recommend this tour.

thupten g, Owner at The Tibetan Encounter Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Hi Chris, thank you so much for taking time in writing your great review about my program. I am very happy to know that you now know more about Tibet and our rich culture, tradition and Tibetan refugees living in Nepal. Thank you so much for participating in my program.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

In 2010 I had the pleasure of going on a full day tour with The Tibetan Encounter. The tour was an experience that still stands for me as one of the clearest memories of my trip to Nepal. Having seen the usual guidebook tourist attractions, this seemed like an opportunity to get a special experience and a realistic idea about what life is like for Tibetan refugees in Nepal.
I went on a full day tour to the village called Jampaling located about an hour outside Pokhara. Just going to a village where you normally wouldn't go on your own was exciting in itself. In Jampaling people were friendly and greeted us. Among the different activities, I found the home of the elderly and the school to be especially interesting. I got to hear a woman's story about how she left Tibet in 1959 and how her life has been before and after. That was quite a moving experience. In the school I had the pleasure of playing soccer with some of the children. It's amazing how people who speak different languages can suddenly understand each other when you play games. Thupten, the guide, showed us around and told us about the village. I can't imagine a better or more devoted guide.
All in all, I just wish I had taken the two day tour. Next time I go Nepal (hopefully soon), I'm going for two days.

thupten g, Owner at The Tibetan Encounter Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Tashi Delek, Jens la, First of all, I would like to say thank you so much for sharing our feelings and stories of our Tibetan refugee's living in Nepal. I was really very happy to know that you still had a many good memories of my tour and specially Tibetan people living in Jampaling Tibetan Settlement. I felt also good to hear that you love our elderly people in the "Old Age People's Home" and our school children. Sure, I am very excited to see you again and would like to show and share more of our Tibetan culture, tradition, language, religion, livelihood etc for the next time.
Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

This program is a really good chance to discover tibetan culture, to understand their problematics through the daily life of tibetan refugees in Nepal. What they were able to achieve with very few means in terms of education, agriculture, handicrafts is very interesting and should inspire us in our everyday life. We enjoyed a lot the company of our guide throughout the journey ; his welcome and his great explanations enlightened us... thanks a lot Thupten.

tibetanencounter, Owner at The Tibetan Encounter Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Tashi Delek, Thank you for taking your precious time to write a review on the tripadvisor. It sounds like you really enjoyed yourselves which is so great to hear. Hope to see you again in Pokhara, next time.