“Peace and tranquility in Pokhara” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fish Tail Lodge

Fish Tail Lodge
Ranked #14 of 99 Hotels in Pokhara
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Peace and tranquility in Pokhara”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

My family and I stayed here for three nights in between trekking and rafting. It was very pretty, the lake is wonderful, it was efficient and well run with a nice swimming pool, and the food was good. The bedrooms are very tired, and uninspiring however, and this was a disappointment. There is a sweet little ferry that takes you to and from Fishtails small island and once off the ferry you are right in the hussle and bustle of Pokhara, which is a nice contrast. The views of the mountains are Magnificent. This hotel and the rest of our trip was beautifully organised by Imagine India, who I can thoroughly recommend. In summary, Fishtail Lodge was a happy resting point in beautiful surroundings, but not outstanding.

Room Tip: Definitely get a rondaval room. The ones in the two story blocks are very dull, dark and tired.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Victoria E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Like all hotels in Nepal - you will be sold the fact that Prince Charles of the UK once stayed here amongst many other celebrities. But that was over 25years ago - an it appears no money has been spent on this hotel since. The flowers surrounding the garden in this place and the lake view are pretty, and the ferry man takes you over to the small island upon which the hotel sits. You can hire a rowing boat (extra charge and row your beloved out across the lake to see the mountains) But the illusion of comfort ends there! - the hotel rooms themselves - are very damp (and in my opinion as an asthmatic were dangerous to my health as they contain spores of fungi and bacteria.) The blankets on the beds are damp and the rooms themselves were constructed of painted hardboard - and the rooms very tiny. The shower being a tiny room with black mould in the crevices. We were initially not provided with a kettle or tea making facilities and told that this would be an extra $50US per day - we were paying around $130!USDollars. In Nepal - the hoteliers have no idea of Western Hotel standards and have every intention of charging over the odds for poor facilities and bad service and generally ripping off tourists. The Restaurant food was buffet style and represented very poor value for money being barely edible. The swimming pool was smaller than my duckpond, dirty with missing tiles and generally useless. The hotel ads show you viewing the mountains from this pool - which was impossible when we were there in April 2013. The employees at the hotel seem to be having a better time than the guests, I smelt dope being smoked by one of the gardeners!
So that my health didn't deteriorate we checked out after two days and continued our stay at the Pokhara Grand Hotel - which gave us a huge suite with a view of the Annapurna Mountain range from our windows - they also offered more reasonable trips, microlight flights and paragliding all at cheaper rates than those offered at Fish Tail. All hotels in Nepal are effected by poor hot water supply and poor electricity supply - so you can expect to be stuck in lifts and eating of using the bathroom in the dark at random times during the day. Sadly I have nothing good to say about Fish Tail - it needs bulldozing and rebuilding again! Its surviving on past memories of glory when it was probably the only hotel in Pokhara!

Room Tip: None of the rooms we saw where good - we stayed in one of the hexagonal rooms next to the one Prince...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Clive A
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Myself and my wife stayed in the Fish Tail Lodge for two nights in March 2013. The location of the hotel is superb, in an island, middle of the Fewa Lake. In the midst of nature where 'emotion recollected in tranquility'. The staffs are very friendly and good in behavior. Rooms are nice and comfortable. Food quality is Great. Obviously the hotel is expensive but it is well deserved. I strongly recommend Fish Tail Lodge to those who intend to visit Pokhara in near future.

Room Tip: Stay in the cottage and book early.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Partho_66
Avik S, Director of Sales at Fish Tail Lodge, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Partho_66,

Greeting from Fish Tail Lodge!

Thank you for your kind feedback and we are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the resort and describe our property as an “Awesome Hotel in Pokhara”.

While the resort has been synonymous over the years with many words like excellent, stunningly beautiful,fabulous setting etc “emotion recollected in tranquility” truly portrays the resort.

Best regards

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

this is an excellent place to stay wen in Pokhara.. no complaints. The food, service, location, hospitality, rooms, scenic beauty, approach every thing is sepctacular!!! the way they take u from parking area to reception and main resort. osam!!! Their staff is very polite and humble. while we were having breakfast, they took care of our toddler.. which was very pleasing for us! I will def recommend this place to others and would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: all rooms are well made and located!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Partho_66,

Greetings from Fish Tail Lodge!

Thank you for your kind feedback, we are delighted to read that your stay at our resort was “excellent”.

Our team at the resort strives to provide each guests a high level of personalized service. This reflects not only at certain areas of the property but at all levels of our team and at every area of the resort. This is the benchmark of our hospitality and we take great pride when we receive compliments like your’s that justify our continued efforts.

Best regards

udaipur, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

we stayed in this hotel for 2 ngts. rooms are gud no tea & coffee maker in the rooms which is quite surprising as small hotel now days providing it.
Location is gud near to market. Food is excellent & economic also.
They not provide the free wifi even for 1 hrs which is again surprising.
overall gud option in Pokhara.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ritesh_amantra
Dear Mr Amantra,

Greeting from Fish Tail Lodge!

We would like to thank you for your kind feedback and are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at our resort.

I would like to highlight that we do offer complimentary internet access at the resort in the restaurant for all our valued guests. One can access this via a smart phone, PDA or a laptop while staying with us in the hotel.

Best regards.

Kiato, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Having experienced now a number of "Hotels" in our travels, I've learned that there can be a wide variety in one's stay at these in-between a hotel and a B&B facilities. Turn down service and extras make this a great place for a stay. Beds and pillows were excellent! The staff is courteous and friendly and responds quickly to needs. Would definitel come back here over other places!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Avik S, Director of Sales at Fish Tail Lodge, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Katyin K,

Greetings from Fish Tail Lodge!

Thank you for your response. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us at the resort.

We definitely try and succeed to offer personalized touches at every levels of our guest interactions so as to ensure that it enriches the overall guests experience at the resort.

With best regards

Jodhpur, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Fishtail Lodge lived up to my expectations that I had when I was planning for my Honeymoon trip. I could not have imagined a more tranquil setting with all amenities at hand.

Although May is not the perfect time for a trip to Pokhara, I think I could not have found a better place to run away from the sweltering, North Indian heat after my summer wedding. For those who are planning a trip in the month of May, do understand that the chance of visibility of the mighty, snow clad mountain in the backdrop of the lake is pretty low.

I have nothing but pleasant memories from my two days, two night's stay at Fish Tail. I preferably took boat rides to and fro over the lake instead of the floating barge, but I think the barge is very quaint when a bigger group is to be moved. We felt welcome all the time with smiles all around. We were first offered one of rear side rooms, but were offered room 19 when I inquired. Room 19 is not the one with the best view, but the hammock in front of the room offered the perfect perch whenever we were craving to look at the beautiful lake. I sincerely wish I got one of the rooms with big names (16,17,18) though... just so that I could boast ;-)

The swimming pool is not as big as I had imagined but was clean and inviting. Owing to the circular design of buildings, I felt that the bathrooms were slightly small and a tub or a Jacuzzi would have been a cherry on top. We just had breakfast at the hotel since we were mostly out in the afternoons and evenings but it was, hands down, the best breakfast we had on the trip- with slight variations on the two mornings we were there. I did go through the menu though and the bar looked very inviting and cozy.

This place is all about its setting. Being the niche property of Pokhara, of course it is slightly expensive but I would not think twice in recommending it for the experience it offers. If I could get a chance for a longer stay (even in an off season), I am sure I could write a book too :-)

Room Tip: Do make it a point to ask for rooms 16, 17, 18 even if you have not paid premium price for them. Who...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear gk1089,

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the resort.

Whilst I agree that staying in the resort in May might not offer the ideal views of the mountain, there are still many things to do in Pokhara and particularly in the monsoon as Pokhara offers a unique charm. I shall definitely pass on your feedback about breakfast to our chef’s.

Room numbers 16,17 & 18 offer the most majestic views of the Mt Fishtail and the Fewa Lake. These rooms have actually hosted distinguished guests HRH Prince Charles and HRH Princess Anne of England, Crown Prince Narihito of Japan, former Indian President N. Sanjiva Reddy, former US President Jimmy Carter, former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, former UN Secretary General Kurt Waldhiem, HRH Crown Prince V. Mahidol of Thailand etc.

Please let us know when you intend to stay with us during your next visit and I assure you that we will offer you a pleasant surprise.

With best regards,