“excellent hotel”

The Fulbari Resort & Spa
Ranked #61 of 108 Hotels in Pokhara
Reviewed June 14, 2011

better then hilton in united kingdom, i highly apprecaite such facilities in nepal, a place to be, really good, overall nepali people are so friendly, i got lots of change regarding room service and check in and check out, it was much better, the panoromic view with the annapurna range is awesome, u feel as if u are in paradise, i had a lovely time with my girlfren, she enjoyed the place very much. i recommend people to be there, and i recommend everyone, u be in this hotel or not but be in epal for a great holiday and adventure ***** 5 stars

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ashwinlamichhane

Reviewed April 16, 2011

I have just checked into this hotel a couple of hours ago, and I'm so disappointed that I am forced to write this review right away. I had chosen this one based on the statement on their website that it's Nepal's only 5 star deluxe resort - so my expectations were set accordingly (plus, I was paying over $150 per night).

- First up, when I checked in I had to carry my luggage all the way from their gate to reception (which is roughly 10 mins walk). No porter was even visible to help me with the luggage.

- When I entered, the mini bar was empty, refrigerator was not working and TV's cable was plugged out. Half of the lights are non-functioning as well. Bathroom has no tooth-brush/paste or hand-towels. Room has a weird smell, as if nobody has occupied this for a while.

- The AC of the room wasn't working. First I called them and waited for 30 minutes. Nothing happened. Then I called again. 15 more minutes nothing happened. Then I ask the room service guy (whom I had asked to get bottled water) to help me - he got someone who said that somebody has gone to market to fetch batteries for remote (wow!). I said ok. 3 hours later - nothing still. Call up reception - and they say that they would not switch the AC of entire hotel on. What? Are you kidding me? I ask them for a table fan - and it's already been an hour and nothing yet. (Oh: finally I get a remote for the AC after 4 hours)

- Went to the reception to ask about Internet. They said that they have Internet package only for 1 hr ($5 an hour) or for a week. I asked for something in between - 1 day or 2 days. The lady at front-desk gave me such a look and replied so rudely, as if I had committed a crime. Eventually, I had to buy for a week. Now, things get better. I give her my debit card and they said they would not accept it. So, I come back to my room to get my credit card. And when I give that, they say that they cannot accept (machine has not been working for some days, and they do not know when it'll be working next). After 10 minutes or arguments, and me stating that I do not have any cash, they get my credit card authorized by calling up their Kathmandu office. So much for "Nepal's only 5 star deluxe resort".

- The room also didn't have any drinking water. Had to order 3 bottles from room service, and then upon a further call came to know that 2 bottles are complimentary per day. Now since the room service had billed me for 3, they argued that I've to pay for 3 (even though 2 were complimentary). Though, finally we were stern that we would not pay for what we should get as an essential.

- The quality of soap/toleitries and even toilet rolls were one of the worst I've seen.

- The customer service at the front-desk is pathetic. The room service guys are well behaved and helpful, though.

- Oh, and went to the casino and it was closed - on a Saturday noon!

Sadly, I'll have to stay here for 2 more days as I've pre-paid.

The pro is that their outdoors (garden) is very beautiful, though the pool and water bodies need a lot of cleaning - you can see algae all around. The view outside the hotel is also nice.

I would not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel, unless you've really run out of options. Even then, find a friend's place!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank PallavN
Reviewed February 20, 2011

The Fulbari Resort in Pokhara is one of those places that survive solely on the awesome views it provides. It would just die if it wasn't situated at the base of the Himalayas. Nothing beats waking up to see the snow-capped peaks of some of the world's highest mountains. That incredibly romantic sight makes a stay there truly memorable., but you can't but feel let down when you venture out of your room to avail of the hotel's services.
I guess it is the price the hotel and you pay for being located on a cliff with stunning views of the valley below and the mountains. Things seem to be lacking or a bit off here and there all over the place.
The hotel is reached via a road - if you can call it that. Apparently public maintenance ends about a kilometer from the hotel and you are faced with an adventure trail as challenging as any car can hope to navigate.
The check in and check out were eventful and not smooth. The food was okay but definitely not special and totally unimaginative. The spa was a ghost town with no attendants anywhere. The hot water only works in the morning. Brrrrrrrrrr. The bed was very comfortable in an otherwise forgettable guestroom. Wi-fi Internet service was available for a price but no package over two hours long!
After a night there, you crave for some human society near the lake area. Pokhara has great vibes, which do not extend to where Fulbari is. Many colleagues checked out after two nights to stay closer to the action (and hot water).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We reached Pokhara in the afternoon and found that the hotel car was already there waiting for us. The moment we reached the hotel we were greeted by Hotel Manager Mr. Pardeep, and the check in was smooth. The room was spacious, clean and had a breath-taking view of the mountains.
The food was also good. We stayed there for 3 days and it was surely an enjoyable stay.

Negatives: Road to the hotel is bad, A little far from the city, service quality sometimes let us down but it was above average for sure. Worth staying here

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2011

This place is huge - large an impresive both inside and out with extensive park like grounds and magnificent views of the Annapurna.
Closer inspection suggests this hotel/resort was probably at its best twenty years ago and maintenance and upkeep are fast becoming major issues. Serious money needs to be spent soon to maintain this once fabulous resort. Nevertheless the hotel is still grand and reasonably clean and well serviced.
The hotel is out of town a bit and the biggest drawback is getting there from Pokhara. The last couple of kilometres is over an appaling section of road which is basicaly potholes joined together by rocks. Personaly next time I would want to stay in Pokhara nearer Lakeside than have to travel in and out in tiny Suzuki Alto taxis which try and over charge for the trip.
The food was Ok, there is free internet in the hotel lobby but ocasionaly this dropped out and had to be restarted or plugged back in, on a couple of occasions I had to do this for the front desk staff as they had no idea. The rooms were large and well furnished and the bed comfortable. The hot water constantly ran out when returning groups wanted to shower in the same time period.
In conclusion Fulbari is an OK place to stay especialy if you just want to read books, have a massage and look at the Annapurna. Its probably a bit over priced and I suspect there is better for cheaper closer to the action in Pokhara.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed December 7, 2010

This hotel has what one might call "great bones" the layout and idea is great but the implementation and attention to detail wasn't well executed. Bathrooms have vents for fans that are either broken or never installed so the walls are covered with mold stains. Nice marble counters with sinks that aren't fitted or sealed/grouted so water runs out on to the floor. I could go on with other examples of a place that had a lot of potential but the construction and maintance are so poor there isn't much hope.

BTW the hot water is only turned on between 8pm and 8am.

However, I did like the staff and to the extent they could make our stay nice they tried their best and were as helpful as possible. It's not their fault that the building is falling apart and I'm sure they bare the brunt of alot of guests displeasure with the hotel. I appreciated that the waiter in the bar was willing to get some hot chocolate for me(while I waited for the hot water to come on) from the restaurant even though it wasn't on the bar menu! I also thought the food was decent at the restuarant.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 1, 2010

The drive to the hotel itself is soo bumpy and so grinding that by the time you get there you are almost half dead. This was once a beautiful hotel made with good intentions but is just run down now. Everything has a crumbling feel to it. Restuarant is either closed with has a buffet dinner consisting of 3-4 items. The bar is deserted and the shops are empty.
The room and bathroom was nice enough and clean as well but the tolietries were not even adequate and the room has no inroom provisions for tea/coffee which is unheard of in a property of this cadre.
The breakfast buffet hardly had 2-3 items worth tasting and even they were sub standard. The whole area had an abandoned look to it. Too huge and ill kept with a handful of people strewn about. The staff were indifferent and callous.
We stayed just one night and were glad to make it back the bumpy road with no broken bones. What a waste of money!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple