“Excellent Hotel and Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Tropicana

Hotel Tropicana
Hotel Tropicana
Ranked #156 of 271 Pokhara B&B and Inns
Wondervu
“Excellent Hotel and Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

After being guided by my trusty guide book, I called Hotel Tropicana in advance as I would be arriving in Pokhara after dark. The staff was very friendly and assured me that they would hold a room for me. I arrived later than previously expected but when I arrived at Tropicana, I was greeted and shown a room. The room was exceptionally clean and quiet. Upon waking up the next morning, I saw a beautiful view of the lake from my room. The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. After a day trip, I had planned on going to Annapurna Base Camp the following day but the staff told me that "the best" guide would not be available until the following day. It was worth the wait. The guide was excellent. I met other trekkers that did not fair as well and they told me that I, indeed, had the best guide. I highly recommend Hotel Tropicana to anyone interested in staying in Pokhara. Competitive rates, clean and quiet rooms, a very accommodating staff with excellent guide services.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Now, on lakeside in Pokhara there is probably a higher concentration of accommodation than we've seen anywhere. We walked around and checked out about 15 of them before settling here. So, why did we stay for 18 days. Firstly, there's a blissful absence of grief. They don't try and force trips on you, it's quiet, the location is good, they're helpful and I doubt I've seen a cleaner hotel. If there's anything you don't like they'll do their best to sort it out, unlike many places I could mention. Whereas all the other places we looked at started prices higher and you knocked them down, Tropicana set their prices lower and that was that. Have you ever arrived at a lonely planet listed place and, a) the prices were much lower than listed and, b) they hadn't let their listing adversely affect the service/cost? But to be brief, we were left alone with a great view (roof room) and a good price.

Room Tip: The room at the front of the roof has one of the best views on Lakeside, and it's quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Cheap hotel (USD 11 per room) in OK location in Lakeside North. We were here between Christmas and New Year's, and it was freezing. The rooms are large, the beds extra firm, the bathroom window had no glass. When we arrived, the toilet didn't fuction, but they sent for a plumber and fixed that. The water was lukewarm throughout our stay. We were provided with extra blankets and fan heaters, but when the power is down for many hours during the night, it gets very cold. We considered moving after the first night, but stayed on for another two and spent the money saved on daytime attractions and a better hotel in the next town. Good choice for backpackers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cooktown, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

Great deal by more than helpful staff. Staff where knowledgeable of any local attractions and travel options. The rooms each had great lake views with warm sunny afternoon balconies. Catered for our whole family. Loved it so much we stayed for over a week.
Location was perfect, Walking distance to anywhere lakeside. But the best restaurants where just across the road. We mostly had our own breakfasts on the roof (cereal and/or fresh bakery products).

Room Tip: third floor, fourth or roof would all be choice options. View the rooms before negotiating. Solar...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Whiteys000
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

excellent view of the lake from the room with private balcony .Nice roof top with swing .many solar panels for hot water and during the bad weather they put the electric on and provide hot water .I had best shower after my round annapurna trek .Room was very big with king size bed .Me and my wife loved it very much.Staffs are friendly and helpful.About the staff i did not found any complain as it was mentioned in review 1(dutchj).The price was also reasonable .Wifi working in my room .They made all the travel arrangements for us .We are so glad to stay in Tropicana and again we will come to Nepal and stay in the Hotel Tropicana

Justin Berger
Paramata Road Ashfield Sydney
Australia

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are excellent with private balcony
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
13 Thank justin b
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

We chose this hostel based on its location (at the quiet end of town but still close enough to the centre) and its price. The rooms were fairly comfortable with views over the lake, and they were clean. It would have been ok and standard quality for Nepal for that price if it weren't for one thing: the staff.

When I'm travelling on a tight budget I don't expect cleanliness or comfort or peace; but I would still expect to be treated with an ounce of respect. Whatever price I'm paying, I don't expect to be treated badly or rudely. The problems started when the wifi stopped working. No, I don't expect everywhere to have wifi, but if something I have specifically asked for (and something that is used to attract customers and to justify a higher price) doesn't exist, then it's a bit annoying. Even so, things happen and I wouldn't have cared so much if they had apologised, or looked like they cared at all.

Instead, they just shrugged their shoulders and went back to their game of cards with their mates. They spent most of the time there playing cards, and if we ever asked for anything we were made to feel as if we were being very rude by interrupting them. It made us feel very uncomfortable. Various other problems arose, including electricity, water and other essential amenities, but again I would accept those as a normal part of the Nepalese experience, had the staff not so blatantly ignored us.

Finally we left, not before I dared ask for a discount given the problems we had incurred. Suddenly the owner was more than attentive. "Get out, you bloody idiot!" he shouted. How lovely.

Room Tip: Ones facing the lake are best.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple