“We felt like that we were at home”

Hotel Grand Holiday
Ranked #2 of 271 Pokhara B&B and Inns
Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia, Sri Lanka
“We felt like that we were at home”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The staff was very friendly, specially Mr. Janak(Managing Director), Mr.Ramesh(Receptionist) and even the chef and all the ohter staff. They always look for the needs of the customers. They even helped a lot for our trips and where to find things. Eventhough it's a budget hotel the treatment and the service is better than a five star hotel standard. Even the price is very reasonable.

Prabhath Nawaratne
Sri Lanka

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Prabhath N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed July 30, 2011

This hotel was a wonderful surprise. The price was so amazing we were not expecting that much. When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff that were ready to help us with various planned activities. Rooms are spotless and beds are incredibly comfortable! On top of everything, on the day I left, I unknowingly left my camara battery and charger plugged into the wall. While sitting on the bus waiting to leave Pokera a staff member from Grand Holiday ran onto the bus and returned my belongings. I couldn't believe this person rushed over in his car from the hotel to make sure I didn't leave these precious items behind. I was so shocked I didnt even have time to express how greateful I was.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank wolfpack18
Porec, Croatia
Reviewed July 10, 2011

There are many choices that a person has when picking a hotel in Pokhara. But out of the 350+ hotels in Pokhara my choice was the Hotel Grand Holiday. I didn’t know what to expect when I first booked this hotel as the price for the hotel room was very cheap. Once I arrived there, I noticed that the pictures I saw on the internet didn’t do it justice. The hotel is spotless, the staff is overly accommodating and friendly, and the owner is making sure that you are comfortable 24/7. The property is beautiful with a rooftop and a garden setting where you can have breakfast and the room is clean with all of the amenities you might need. I planned to stay for 3 days and ended up staying for 10 and had to leave because I had a commitment in Kathmandu, otherwise I would have stayed longer. My room was on the 3rd floor and had a beautiful view of the Annapurna range. It was priceless waking up in the morning and seeing the sunrise and the pinkish colors of the snow-capped mountains. The breakfast was wonderful. Try the Tibetan breakfast. It is delicious. Janek (the owner) also helped me book a tour and organized everything for me. Needless to say, at the end of the 10 days I felt like I was part of the family and to today’s date we still keep in touch over email. You have a choice when making a booking, but if you book the Grand Holiday you will not be disappointed. As a matter of fact, if you are thinking of spending 3 days add another 7 to 10 to it because the beauty of Grand Holiday and Pokhara is mesmerizing. I know I will stay with the Grand Holiday family again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank ss2257
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 8, 2011

With so many hotels in Pokhara to choose from I opted for the ‘Hotel Grand Holiday’ and the deciding factor was the lure (promise) of a view of the beautiful Himalaya range from the hotel’s roof top. I made a prior booking in Nepal for 2 nights – one at the beginning of our trek and one at the end. In total we eventually spent 4 nights at this hotel.

On arrival at Pokhara airport we were greeted by the hotel rep. A short drive later (10-15mins) we arrived at the hotel and everything was in order. Twin en-suite room was adequate and met the needs for a comfortable night’s sleep quite well. The hotel is nicely situated on the edge of the main drag (lake side) – so it’s quieter than further down the main street. Within a few metres walk there is a convenience store, laundry, a few restaurants and the lake. There is an ATM really close too. The main street along Lake Side is one long street with restaurants, bars, shops, etc. and the core of this is approx. 10 mins walk from the hotel.

The selling point for me was the ‘roof top views’ which can sound a bit exaggerated in a small flyer but it’s true – it’s truly an amazing sight at sunrise – and you can see the Himalaya from your bed too. The lure of the beautiful Machhapuchhre ‘Fish Tail’ is all too much though and within seconds you’ll be on the roof, 4-Something-AM or not! The hotel offers free speedy Wi-Fi (which is reliable!), full restaurant/ bar service, kept luggage service, free airport pick-up, and they arrange many other things; you just need to ask. You can have your cold drinks on the roof top to savour the views or in the small garden adjacent to the reception. Both are nice areas to chill and relax. Overall, I was impressed by the owner (Janak) and his friendly efficient staff, who were always on hand. I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shamrock67
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed in Nepal for 30 days and spent nearly a week in this amazing hotel in Pokhara. This location was right close to the breathtaking lake with views of the mountains all around, it was absolutely stunning. There are many shops and restaurants nearby, and many good hotels and guest houses are a plenty. One of the most amazing places to stay was the Grand Hotel Holiday, great staff very tentative and helpful, great management always there to lend a hand or offer advice on the local amenities and the many attractions nearby. The most spectacular part of the trip was the Annapurna Base Came, we spent two weeks trekking the sanctuary of Annapurna, and it was a trip never to be forgotten...First Class.... Written by; Brain Wiltshire...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank mepppz
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed July 4, 2011

The staff at Hotel Grand Holiday made our trip to Pokhara much more enjoyable and comforting. They made us feel welcome every time we saw them. When our 10 year old daughter was hospitalised with food poisoning (not from this hotel) the staff could not help us enough. Even whilst she was in hospital they came to visit her in hospital, helped make plans for us with our onward travel and greeted us and made sure she was improving if they saw us on the street. Now months later they are still checking how we are going via email.
As for the hotel, from our window we had the best view of the Annapurna range, even better than going on the steep climb up the viewing point of the range.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Dobso
john n, Owner at Hotel Grand Holiday, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing our property.we are glad that you had great experience in our hotel.Thank you for commenting about our staff.our staff team is all the time ready to help our clients.it,s our pleasure to help our clients.we would love to host you again!greetings from hotel grandholiday team.
Malaysia
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Location - right in Pokhara tourist area near Lake side just off the main road, not noisy at night. Easily accessible to all the tourist eating and shopping places.
Service - friendly owner but the staff seems a bit distant and don't smile that much
Rooms - bed tend to sink in when you lie on it and I am not that heavy. Simple room, good enough for sleeping and that's about it. Don't expect any fancy decor. See the photos.
Breakfast - is thrown into the room rate, always the same, toast, jam, butter, tea/coffee..

Choose this hotel as it was part of the trekking package that I sign up on. So not much choice to change it. Like I said if all you need is a place to sleep then this place will do, I think the rate we got was 25 usd per night for a double bed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple