“Comfortable and friendly”

Hotel Mandap
Hotel Mandap
Ranked #83 of 108 Hotels in Pokhara
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I've stayed at Mandap 3 different times over the past few yearts. Invariably friendly and helpful staff. The restaurant with its open fire is just the place to have breakfast on a crisp winters day. Have stayed with family and longer times when volunteering.
Courtyard protected from the road by a bakery..with 'real'coffee but try the masala chai instead...brilliant.
Good wifi in the restaurant and on the 1st floor balcony..but not in the rest of the rooms...which is not necessarily a problem when on holiday.
...and hot water is abundant...a bonus in this wonderful city

Room Tip: rooms on the higher floors and left hand side (facing away from the street) are the pick. Laundry s...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank James D

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Cheap place to stay in Thamel, that's about it. Bedspread was dirty, no hot water for the shower until I complained, lights went out periodically. No elevator. Breakfast was included and it was great.

Room Tip: Kathmandu is cheap. Scrounge up a bit more money and stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Didn't stay at the hotel but have visited the restaurant a few times and not been disappointed with the food. Has a nice fireplace and cosy atmosphere inside and the menu is extensive - good vegetarian options. Plates are large... The veg moussaka was nice although maybe not really a moussaka and the spaghetti was a little overcooked but had good flavour and generous portions of cheese. The spinach burger was the highlight although was not served in a bun so more like spinach parties than a burger. However the seasonal vegetables were cooked very well and still had a nice crunch to them - there's nothing worse than badly overcooked veg! The palak paneer was also very tasty. Dessert menu was not very good but there is a bakery adjoining the restaurant so you can get cakes and decent coffee served at your table from there. First time we visited with friends and it was quiet so service was very good and the staff were friendly. They even waved to us as we walked past the next few days, especially the manager who was wonderful. Felt like high service for each low prices, although Mandap is more expensive than other restaurants in Thamel but relative to home currency still only really paid £30 for 4 people to have meals and desserts including drinks.
Second time we visited was as a couple and the restaurant was far busier so the service was not as good or attentive but no major complaints and food was still nice, although moussaka tasted different but still palatable and no complaints.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. It is in the Thamel area of Kathmandu.
I found it clean and comfortable and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. At night there is an open fire in the restaurant that is very cosy and welcoming in winter.There is a coffee shop on site .
The only thing that is inconvenient is the powercuts!! But that is not their fault.
I was prepared and took a small flashlight for my trip to the bathroom at night.
Food is good, but a bit pricey, I ate traditional Nepali food at the Takali Kitchen, about 5 min walk from my hotel.

Room Tip: Bring a small flashlight for nightly powercuts!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We did not stay at this hotel but went to their restaurant for breakfasts and dinner. Their coffee and muesli were off-the-hook and the gentleman who served us during our first 3 visits was very helpful and professional. We asked for a latte with 2 extra shots of espresso and he served it with a smile! Unfortunately, our trip to this restaurant came to a screeching halt when we encountered a new server who was completely UN-professional! He'd not only interject as we are placing our orders but also was too busy chatting with his colleagues to notice our waving hand. He did not even provide us with a receipt but a kindergarden-level hand-scratched torn piece of paper. Beside that, he comes back saying that our credit card was declined. Unbelievable, considering we've been using it for our past 3 meals! It was more uncomfortable when those very server-friends of his would be staring at us with utter disrespect.

I regret not being able to compliment the first guy. I wish I could contact the management to have this guy taken care of so that I can go back to the restaurant and start recommending to my friends and family.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 20TinTin12
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had our last dinner here in Mandap Hotel. It was the greatest momo we have had in Nepal. Although I have lost my appetite may be because of the melancholy of the return journey, the soup and the veg. rice were excellent. Plus it is just at the heart of the Thamel

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2012

If you dont know how hotels are in Nepal, it will be very confusing for you. In Nepal, electry city is during 6 hours, 18 hours there is no electry city.. Hotel Mandap has electry city 24 hours, hot shower and WIFI.. I was very very ok during my stay and its very located in Thamel..
I definitely recommend it..

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo