Review Highlights
Perfect guide and tour

We enjoined so much the tour with Sheba, it gives you an insight of Kathmandu local life and you... read more

Reviewed today
M6562ZHjenniferc
Munich, Germany
via mobile
Free walking tour Kathmandu

Steady walk through certain places in Kathmandu that aren't main tourists spots, and that gives... read more

Reviewed yesterday
sylwiagac
United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews walking tour monkey temple great tour free tour free walking highly recommend this tour hour tour meeting point great introduction happy to answer any questions real kathmandu nepali culture wealth of knowledge private tour local life an excellent guide durbar square
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Shiva was a fantastic guide. He was happy to answer all of our questions and he gave us a very interesting and worthwhile tour of Kathmandu. He tailored the tour to our interests. Would highly recommend Shiva!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have taken 2 awesome half day tours through Himkala Adventure. I never would have learned so much about the meaning of the sights I was seeing if it had not been for Shiva, our guide. I took his half day free walking tour through the main part of Kathmandu and to the monkey temple (Swoyambhunath) and after hearing that one of the guests was interested in some sights in another part of town, he organized a tour for us a few days later. He met us in Thamel and then, because we wanted an authentic adventure, he took us on the public bus system to the other part of town. I really enjoyed traveling this way but definitely would have never been able to manage it without him there guiding us! (If you've never been, let me tell you, busses in Kathmandu are crazy). (Also if you don't want to attempt the public busses, Shiva can help you get there a different way - don't worry). We went to the largest Buddhist stuppah in Southeast Asia (Boudhanath) and then a Hindu temple (Pashupatinath). At both sights, Shiva was informative and patiently answered all my many questions about what we were seeing and the background behind it. Pashupatinath was especially interesting. The day we went they were doing some cremation ceremonies and Shiva explained all parts of the ceremony in a very thorough way. He is very open and honest and will give you some of his personal stories too, so you feel like you are really getting to know the real Nepal. Not to mention, Shiva is a kind and fun person and I genuinely enjoyed talking to him. Also, Shiva can help you plan the rest of your trip throughout Nepal. He is very knowledgeable so if you have any questions or interest in anything Nepal (hiking, seeing other towns, going to the national parks, etc), ask Shiva and your plans will come together. Please make sure you tip him - he deserves it!

Reviewed September 6, 2019

I wanted to experience some of the popular sights around Kathmandu while visiting but didn’t know what was going to be worthwhile. I am extremely happy that I found this walking tour. I had done some wandering and research on places to see and things to do but it made a world of difference to be shown around by a local on this tour. Shiva was the best! His smile, enthusiastic attitude and calm warming nature made everyone in the tour group feel welcome and comfortable throughout the entire experience. He is extremely knowledgeable in the history and traditions of the local temples and communities throughout Kathmandu. He took us from Thamel all the way to the Swayambhunath Temple (Monkey temple), taking us through small alleys to markets and temples we probably would never have found on our own.
If you need something to do while in Kathmandu, I can’t recommend this tour enough!
P.s Shiva is also a registered trekking guide who owns his own trekking company based in Thamel called himkala adventures. So if you are interested in exploring nepal through some trekking it may be worth your while to shoot him a few questions :)

Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

Shiva was wonderful in bringing us to the less trotted areas outside of Thamel. The entire walk was very engaging as Shiva shares many anecdotes on Nepalese way of life, culture and religion. We thoroughly enjoyed our time, and highly recommend this to all.

Reviewed September 2, 2019

I had an amazing and unforgettable experience with Himkala Adventure! After going on the ONLY free walking tour in Kathmandu I decided I wanted to do a bit of trekking in the nearby Valley Fringe. I came to Shiva, Himkala Adventure’s director, to ask him what he thought was the best next step. Before I knew it, he had come up with a complete itinerary for 3 days and 2 nights with some fantastic sightseeing included. Shiva was an excellent guide! He is easy going, kind and very knowledgeable. If you are looking to do some trekking in Nepal, I very highly recommend going with Himkala Adventure!

Date of experience: August 2019