“Good budget place”
Review of Hotel Ganesh Himal

Hotel Ganesh Himal
Ranked #19 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Probably the pick of the "budget" places you can book online.

Still, there is better quality elsewhere if you walk around.

Free wifi was nice, rooms were clean and there was plenty of hot water. A generator kept the lights on during load shedding.

A bit out of the way, but only a few minutes walk to Thamel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed April 22, 2011

Ganesh Himal is a very nice place to stay, thanks to its staff. Vishnu (waiter) is the best! The responsible for Travel Desk too. He was extremelly honest all the time, prices were good! The only complain about this hotel is about location, a little bit far from central Thamel. Also sometimes at reception we asked for something and after 10 minutes nobody even started to help us, so we needed to ask again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fernanda_vianna
Reviewed April 15, 2011

After making a decision based on lonely planet and other positive review on the Internet, me and my girlfriend decided to stay here.

Once we arived at the airport from Pokhara with airport pickup reques confirmation, the hotel rep didn't show up which make us wait in the rain for about 20 mins. Then, we decided to pay for prepaid taxi about 550 rupees to go to the hotel. Once we arrived and asked them about the pickup, they said there was internet problem so they got confused.

How could they got confused because they replied us to confirm on an email that they are going to pick us up!?

Then we show them an email and all answers they got is your flight is delayed. But our flight was delayed for 2 hours and New Pokhara Lodge rep still wait for us. So that's a bad excuses. Then, we asked them to provide us a free airport ride for departure flight. First they don't want to pay and accuses us for being gullible and stupid enough to pay 550 rupees for taxi.

That's just plain rude.

Finally, they End up agreeing to pay, but the cost of going to the airport is half of when you are coming in to KTM.

When we went up to the room, I stepped on a sharp plastic hidden inside the carpet, which causes me to bleed. It's kind of -- if you have a wound on your feet after trekking.

Rooms are dusty and toilet take about minimum 5 times to say goodbye to your dumps.

Last word, we won't coming back here again. This is Karnma. You get what you did.

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank Zolashine
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I booked for the deluxe room but when i got there i get a standard room which small and very dissappointed but i got a deluxe room on the next day which look better and larger, all the staff was good and very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chanaanong
Reviewed March 27, 2011

My spouse and I booked 2 nights at Hotel Ganesh Himal for our arrival in Kathmandu and we ended up staying 3. The hotel's driver was waiting for us at the airport on arrival at the Kathmandu Airport. We were welcomed to the hotel and given a welcome cup of tea to drink while (I suspect) they finished preparing our room (it was maybe 3pm). Standard room was a bit dark, but perfectly comfortable and great hot water shower (the most reliable hot water during our whole stay in Nepal).

The WiFi wasn't working the first day we arrived, but they said they'd called someone to fix it and it worked on day 2 and for the rest of our stay. We had one breakfast at the hotel restaurant -- breakfast of porridge and fruit -- and it was pretty good and prices were reasonable. The garden is also lovely for chatting with other travelers or having a cup of coffee (they serve illy espresso based drinks -- we had a couple americanos and they were served lukewarm).

Some other reviews were negative about the location, but we loved it. The super-touristy Thamel district gave us a headache and we were very happy to have a hotel in a quiet residential area to retreat to. Durbar Square is a 10 minute walk away and there's lots of great street food like samosas and pakoura nearby.

The only negative about the hotel was the persistence of the staff trying to sell us onward travel packages. Our next destination was Chitwan National Park and we said quite clearly that we definitely did not want to book a package tour (we are experienced independent travelers), but one lady in particular kept trying to plan our whole 10 day trip in Nepal!

She asked us where we were staying in Chitwan and what the price was, then said she would call to confirm our reservation and we could pay her and she would write us a voucher for the hotel in Chitwan. This seemed really odd considering we had made our own reservation and like a shameless grab for commissions, so we didn't tell them where we were going next.

We did however buy our bus ticket to Chitwan from the hotel -- 500 Rupees each -- and later learned that every other travel agency in town sold them from 350 Rupees. The hotel didn't even include transport or directions to the bus station 5 minutes away - they just told us to take a taxi!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Its everything that the other reviews promise - its well priced, really quiet at night, lots of foreign travellers to meet up with, great courtyard, HOT water and free reliable wi fi.

I found my experience with the staff mixed actually. The security man at the gate is a delight and one of the front desk men are really nice, but there was one male receptionist who I found very surly and unhelpful. I had booked for 2 weeks online and after a week I enquired if I could extend my stay for 5 more days. I was told to "check on the last day and see if there is space" It seems the online bookings needed to be tallied first which made no sense to me as I was already there, and trying to book in the flesh. Three days of asking him and him saying "we dont know, we may be full" and finally I spoke to the female receptionists who werent too helpful either. The booking was never confirmed so I checked out on the original date. Strange?!

The food is good-ish but some weird stuff to watch out for. Porridge and tea (including Nepali tea) comes heavily sugared so ordering the two together is a total head rush. The pizzas are so heavely cheesed that I had to remove half the cheese to eat it, and Im really into cheese. The chicken on the same pizza, totally concealed under all that cheese had small bones in it so it was really unpalatable. The "Fruit salad with curd" comes covered in unexpected muesli too which could be to your liking or not.

I got a bad cold for 3 days and took to my bed for an afternoon but as luck would have it the cleaning and waiting staff had their social corner at my door and shouting, laughing and giggling went all all day so I went and dozed in the courtyard in the hammock !

I like the quieter area and I was working close by so the location suited me but to warn you that after dark the surrounding area is pitch black and you need a torch to negogiate the potholes and dogs.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank LeanneStefans
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Ganesh Himal is a small family run hotel which is maintained & managed extremely well.

The place is not luxurious or fancy but it is clean (cleaner than some of the so called 'STAR' hotels in Kathmandu) and neat with extremely friendly & helpful staff starting with the security guard at the gate all the way into the kitchen & housekeeping.

Special thanks to all the staff in front office, restaurant / kitchen & housekeeping for making my multiple stay there so comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2011