“Good location but staff could be better”
Review of Hotel Courtyard

Hotel Courtyard
Ranked #107 of 209 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The location for this hotel is awesome. It is in the heart of Thamel but down a quiet side-street. The hotel itself boasts some awesome rooms and a great included breakfast. However, I found some of the staff to be less than helpful when trying to print out plane tickets. It took 3 attempts before one would direct me to another cyber cafe (even though they claimed to offer printing in the lobby). I also found the owners to be a bit odd. One always had her dog around and would occasionally bark and growl at guests. I like dogs but not at the hotel I am staying at.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Great spot and great hosts< nothing is too much for Michelle and Pujan, stayed elsewhere in Katmandu and Nepal and this was definitely the most comfortable (even had hot water), wish we had found this place at the start! will definitely recommend this hotel to other Aussies!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Wow! We arrive into Kathmandu for our first time at night and are driven into the Hotel Courtyard where we are met by both Michelle and Pujan and ushered into the library for complimentary welcome drinks. From this beginning, we only continued to be incredibly satisfied with our experience. We stayed here for total 7nights in between trekking. Pujan is an energetic person with an impeccable skill in coordinating. Anything you need he can get for you whether it be flights or permits for trekking. Obviously well-respected entrepeneurs in Thamel, they have the who's who in trekking stayjng with them. We met a couple of mountaineering celebrities during our stay at this fun relaxed oasis. The rooms are uniquely different but all elegantly styled. When we returned from trekking, lazing about the hotel was an enjoyable as we sat on the leather couches in the courtyard with drinks chatting with Michelle and Tibby and swapping stories with other international travellers. There are burger nights, steak nights and Slideshow nights run by Chris Biel. They got it all, highly recommend!!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully decorated, none will disappoint
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Well what can I say,

This was my second trip to Kathmandu and my second time at the Hotel Courtyard in Thamel.

This hotel which is owned and run by Pujan and Michelle, such a formidable team.

Upon my arrival I was whisked away to the bar, while my luggage was taken care of. What a great way to start the holiday.

Eventually, when I made it to my room after a lenghty re-aquaintance with the bar and meeting some new guests, I was soooooooo ready for a nice hot shower. A must in Kathmandu

I stayed in a suite room, which was huge and very welcoming. I slept so well the first night, as it is tranquil oasis once you come through the security gates of the hotel.

Breakfast is basic, but for me totally sufficient, especially as I was able to eat bacon, lol. I live in Kuwait so do not have this luxury.

Pujan, Michelle and their staff are so helpful at anytime of the day. Just ask for help if you need anything and they will be there.

You must also experience the culinary delights of Pujan. He is an amazing chef. You can taste his passion through the delicious meals he cooks.

Having come back for the second time this year I feel and am treated like family.

I have to tell you I am planning to go back again. I left my heart in Kathmandu.

I would like to thank all my friends at the Courtyard for making my stay such a wonderful and memorable experience.

Best Wishes

Brian

Room Tip: All the rooms I am sure will meet you expectations.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank cygnetboy69
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Having read all the glowing reviews, we desperately wanted to stay here, and tried to book here via email months ahead, asour itinerary meant we would be in and out of Kathmandu 4 times over a 3 1/2 week period. Despite chasing these emails up on a regular basis, the response was lacking, and the final outcome was that we were only able to stay here for 2 out of our 5 nights (having been booked out on the other nights). This actually ended up as a really good thing!! This gave us the opportunity to try out 2 other hotels in Thamel, and have a comparison to Hotel Courtyard.The rooms here are large & well appointed , and Michelle herself was friendly. However, Hotel Courtyards is let down by surly staff who didn't seem happy to be interrupted or asked questions,and they certainly were the most lacking in customer service of any hotel staff we encountered in Nepal. The breakfast staff just sat at the back, so we only found out on our second stay that eggs/pancakes were included in the breakfast - if you asked them, as they were not forthcoming. There are little things lacking (like no kettle and coffee/tea sachets in room), which the other much less expensive hotels provided (plus much more). Having said that, it was pleasant & comfortable , and if we hadn't stayed anywhere else, we would no doubt have been more satisfied. However, we were very pleased to have the comparison by staying in other hotels, which cost less & fabulous, happy staff which provided us with a far better experience. We would definitely would return to our favourite one of those hotels , rather than stay at Hotel Courtyard again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here at the end of our trip this year, it was my second time staying with this amazing hotel. From the great location to beautiful rooms this is a special find in Kathmandu, but what makes it so special is the wonderful hosts!! Michelle was a great help, when my friend was unwell and we needed to extend our stay. While the staff brought us tea to the room, without us asking to help her feel better!! The rooms are large, clean and well maintained. I would say this place is a must stay if you come to the city!!! Staying here was one of highlights to my trips, both times I have visited!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2012

In October this year my girlfriend and I travelled to Nepal for a couple of weeks of site seeing, trekking and nature watching. We met in Kathmandu as I flew in from London to meet her, part way through her trip (she has been travelling for most of this year).

I wanted somewhere which was a real treat but also affordable and also in a good location (i.e. in back-packer central). We decided to go for The Hotel Courtyard as it ticked all the boxes.

We had a suite for the first couple of nights there and it was beautiful. Really spacious, clean, comfortable and as an amazing touch, they even had roses put in our room as they knew that we had not seen each other for a few months (and they even told my other half that it was my idea although I had to be honest and let her know it was all their own doing!). To do this unrequested, I thought was just superb.

The building is beautiful, the owners are lovely and so helpful and welcoming. The breakfasts are also awesome! Amazing banana pancakes.

We left after our first couple of nights and then stayed there again for another couple of nights after travelling around the country for a couple of weeks and before I flew back to London. We didn't go for a suite this time but a deluxe double which, whilst smaller, was still beautiful.

In short, if you are going to Kathmandu and are looking for something a bit more special but also affordable, I cannot rate this place highly enough. Stay here. It is an easy decision to make.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple