“A home away from home...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Courtyard

Hotel Courtyard
Ranked #89 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
Wilton Manors, Florida
“A home away from home...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

I had researched and researched before my trip to Kathmandu and looked at countless hotels, etc in the area that I wanted to stay. I actually even had recommendations from a friend who stayed down the street from Hotel Courtyard to stay somewhere else...on top of even booking my first night with Another hotel in the area...but then about 2 weeks before I was to leave, I came across Hotel Courtyard and based on reviews and a Promptly returned email from one of the owners - I decided to book with them and I couldn't have been happier! The hotel is located right in the middle of Thamel and although a very busy and crazy area, this hotel is set far enough back from the street and in its own little haven of tranquility, that I felt rested and safe at All times!!! This place is warm and welcoming, clean and safe, and serves a great "home-cooked" breakfast in the morning! After flying in from the US and being sick, I was greeted at the airport by one of their drivers with a smile and a Namaste! After safely getting me back to the hotel - I was greeted in the courtyard by one of the owners and my bag placed in the lobby - and then offered a nice glass of wine in the quaint bar/lounge area where I was greeted by the ever charismatic Pujan (owner) and several other guests! This place really is "diamond in the rough" and I am soo happy that I have had a chance to stay there and become friends with them. They make you feel welcome and at home, and also treat you like part of their family!!!
The hotel has a very "open" concept in regards to how it is set up -- open courtyard and traditional wooden windows in the common areas (lobby and stairs/hallways) so if you are there in the colder months - it will be chilly. But my room was extremely comfortable, cozy and quiet. They have back up generators that run when the power is off (they give you a schedule when you arrive so you know what to expect - and this is gov't scheduled "black outs") So, you never are without power and Always have a hot shower!!! Rooms and common areas were clean and someone was always at the gate and in the lobby to greet you when you left and came back. Free wi-fi so you are always connected. What more can I say? They can also arrange Very affordable trips (day and longer term) for you!!! Hotel Courtyard will Always be my Home away from Home when I travel to Kathmandu and I will Always recommend! At $50/night US - it is a little more on the expensive side for the area - but hot water, safety, cleanliness, and hospitality are worth it to me. Easy access to all the areas that you'd like to visit in Thamel and surrounding areas!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank gingerdeVeghphoto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

By accident I found this oasis in the centre of Kathmandu, I needed a place to stay at short notice. Michelle and Pujan are the owners/hosts/directors/managers...so kind, friendly, welcoming and helpful. Their business is their life and their home and they make the best hosts I have come across in many years of travel. The staff are smiling and kind, helpful and nothing seems too much trouble. The hotel is behind gates in the centre of the city and is lovely and peaceful. The front area is a beautiful courtyard with the sound of running water, big comfy chairs, wifi, a bar and opportunity to chat to other guests or read in peace.
There is an air of calm and relaxation everywhere.
Their hotel car makes the journey lovely, cars ad trips can be arranged for you, there is even somebody who can help with recommending tailors.
The room I stayed in was I think a deluxe or a suite - room 209 big, comfortable, had lovely aircon, tv, dvd player et etc. there is a lovely cosy library with guitars, books, magazines, games and LOADS of dvds.
As you can tell from my review I loved this place, I only wish I could have stayed longer, I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and the reason I chose it was because of the reviews on trip advisor and the lovely Michelle who I spoke to over the phone when I booked.
A real gem, a must for a relaxing stay. I will be going back!

Room Tip: sorry clicked excellent for swimming pool by mistake, there isn't one. Ask for a suite overlooki...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank louise s
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for about 3 weeks, and in our opinion, the experience you'll have at this hotel depends entirely on your expectations. If you're expecting something like a "luxurious hostel" located in the heart of the touristic "Thamel" neighborhood, this place might be perfect for you. The hotel is easy to access, and is set in a private courtyard which is peaceful and hides the noise of streets. The owners are friendly, and there's usually plenty of people around, if you enjoy meeting others. The rooms are nice, and there is a room in the hotel called the "library", where you can find hundreds of English dvd's, and many books, which you can borrow or exchange, and for the dvd's (watch in your room). The owners are always nearby, and often organize field trips to different types of restaurants, and sometimes they do their own grilling. Also, they're extremely willing to offer advice on restaurants and attractions. As another positive, there is always plenty of hot water, and they are exceptional at managing during power cuts. Once, during a power cut, the owner showed me a place I could plug in to a generator to continue using my laptop. I found this extremely kind.

Aside from the positives, there were some things we didn't find so appealing or professional about the hotel. First, we agree with another reviewer's comment about the breakfast--that "it might be acceptable at base-camp, but not at a decent hotel". Besides the unappealing layout of the foods, the entire room looks and feels dirty. Our main point about the breakfast is that its simply "not appealing". The items are plentiful, and the cook will make you anything, from banana pancakes to fried eggs with potatoes. They offer coffee, tea, yogurt, and cereal...but unfortunately their efforts to provide so many types of food seem wasted in such a dirty and un-appealing environment.

About the staff, aside from two receptionists who didn't even respond back as we walked past and said "good morning", most employees are friendly and willing to help. The hotel definitely feels more like a house than a professionally run hotel.

The decoration of the hotel fits very well with the landscape of Kathmandu, but everything in the hotel (outside of the rooms) seems quite over-used, especially in the lobby, breakfast area, and the library room. The sofa's look like they're falling apart, and the hotel would definitely benefit from renovations.

Overall-we're confident that this hotel is one of the best options in Thamel, but the hotel really needs some changes in order to call itself a boutique or high-quality hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure to request an inside (or courtyard facing room) in order to escape unbelievably loud dog bar...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mikezgi
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

Despite my late arrival, I was welcomed by 'the lady of the house' with a very appreciated glass of beer.This hotel is pleasantly quiet located in the busy and touristic Thamel area. The entrance and the hallways are a bit dark. The pretty large comfortable rooms are all different and homely decorated. I stayed in two of them. The ensuite bathroom has a rain shower. There's a good free internet connection. I loved to stay at this clean place. The breakfast is simple (regarding the room charge).
The owners gave me good advice on the possible trips in Nepal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank DiederickPhoto
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

The location is fantastic , in the middle of Thamel. The hotel is up and running smoothly and the staff are helpful but the building of the hotel needs a bit of renovation and so the rooms. The breakfast was terrible I should say!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShirinBiria
Killeen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

It is so nice for so cheep. The rooms are really nice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

I was only in Kathmandu for one day, but these lovely people left a lasting impression. From the moment I arrived I received a warm welcome. Michelle told me to drop my bags and I was led to the outdoor furniture in the courtyard. Soon after that I had a cold beer in my hands and was chatting to Michelle and a number of other guests who shared their stories. Although I was tired, I really felt like I'd just come home and was visiting long lost friends. Later after I'd cleaned up, I was introduced to Pujan (Michelle's husband) who was equally hospitable and was soon sharing jokes with some of the other guests.

The quality of the accommodation was outstanding (beautiful decor, magnificent room) and the company was wonderful (these guys really know how to look after their guests!)

My only regret was only staying one night. I'm definitely going back one day.

Thanks guys!!!