“Incredible stay”
Review of Hotel Courtyard

Hotel Courtyard
Ranked #108 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Our arrival to nepal was a tad stressful but on arrival at the courtyard hotel Michelle sat my wife and I in the library and served us a much needed drink and we chatted to other guests with her and soon became relaxed. The friendly atmosphere about this place is incredible and the rooms are quite large. We stayed here on 2 occasions during our visit and would head strait back if in nepal again.

Room Tip: Both rooms we stayed in faced the courtyard and enterance with a nice view of the front garden. As t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank phil w

Reviewed April 12, 2012

We had 2 nights before and after our Gokyo Lake trek and wanted to stay within walking distance of the sites around Thamel. This being my 3rd visit to Nepal, I'd say this was the best place I've stayed in for comfort, quiet and location. We booked a suite and were surprised by the size of the rooms. It was very spacious and comfortable and allowed us to easily pack and organize our gear before and after the trek. The airport transfers and breakfast were a bonus. Our very late arrival didn't deter the owner Michelle from being in the lobby to welcome us with bottles of water and an introduction. Would recommend to all travellers!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

If you have to or really want to stay in Kathmandu, then I'd highly recommend the Courtyard (where we stayed three nights). It's comfortable, friendly, spacious, clean and value for money - way better than Shanker (where we stayed just one night).

Room Tip: We had a deluxe double that was the size of some hotel suites.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Steve D
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed in Hotel Courtyard twice during my stay in Nepal. The hotel is conveniently located in Thamel, however it is set back from the noise of the streets. The only noises we heard were a few dogs barking during the night and a rooster in a nearby yard. Rooms were clean, beds comfortable and hot water was always available. The hotel staff and owners were friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were tasty - especially the banana pancakes! The hosts have a good library with a range of books and dvds. We had a dvd player provided in our room and took the opportunity to relax and catch up on some movies during our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are quieter during the middle of the night, however, guests do sit and dr...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2012

My favourite hotel in Kathmandu! The hotel is in the heart of Thamel but in a quiet backstreet so you really don't hear all the noise of the surrounding area but are still in a perfect location. Michelle and Pujan are great hosts and welcome everyone to the hotel, ensuring that they feel part of the 'guest community'. The rooms are all different and done out well providing a great level of style and comfort for Nepal! It is a great place to meet and chat with other like minded travellers and swap trekking stories over a beer in the courtyard. HIghly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Kathmandu is noisy and busy. It is great to come to an oasis like this hotel. Our room (a suite) was huge and comfortable.

Hotel owners are very hospitable and helpful. They organised a nice trek up into the hills surrounding the city for us.

The breakfast was good and free wifi reliable.

No hesitation recommending this hotel. Plenty of others at the hotel were repeat guests and I can see why.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RTWTripping
Reviewed March 26, 2012

First I want to say, Hotel Courtyard is a good clean hotel with very Friendly owners and good breakfast. However, There are just a few things that happened to me during my stay that I didn't really enjoy.

First I had to waiting about 20mins for the Hotel Driver to pick me up from the Airport, while all the other less enpensive hotels had their drivers with signs waiting patiently for their guests. Arriving in a country not knowing after a long fight if someone will come or not is not a good feeling. One other thing, we had planned to stay at the hotel for 2 nights and come back to stay 2 nights more. After checking out on the first 2 nights and leaving all of our bags with them, the hotel manager insist that we pay for the first 2 nights while I told him that I checked with the owner Michelle that it was okay to come back and pay. And the same manager arranged a taxi for us to travel to a place for 300repees higher then market price.

I don't really mind spending a little bit for a good hotel and there are lots of okay hotels around Kathmandu for 20-30 dollars. But, I pay around 60 dollars expecting to be treated sincerely and a hotel that is know for service and friendliness, I really didn't get that from some of the staff in Courtyard.

Room Tip: 10 hours of power cuts everyday and dog barking most of the night.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple