“Wonderful stay in Nepal”

Hotel Holy Himalaya
Ranked #41 of 196 Hotels in Kathmandu
Manama, Bahrain
“Wonderful stay in Nepal”
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We used Eco Trek for our trip to Nepal this December. It was a very good choice and I think we were lucky to visit the country and to choose the right people. The hotel (Holy Himalaya) is 3 star, but is run efficiently: free internet, good location in Thamel, friendly and warm staff, clean, hot water (you need it in a city like Kathmandu). The program for 8 nights was good enough to cover major attractions in Nepal and enjoy natural beauty and ice peak mountains, although If I'm to go back once more, will spend more time in the far villages, but will probably be through the same people. I would like to thank Jyoti (and family), Rabi and Saroj for making it a memorable trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
India
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Hotel rooms are pretty much the same everywhere; what makes a place special is the service and location . Both are amazing in Hotel Holy Himalaya. The manager, Mr. Jyothi welcomed us to the hotel, and we were served nepali chai while they checked us in. The rooms are clean and comfortable - nothing amazing, but then,you don't come to a new place to stay in the room. Breakfast is complimentary. Jyothi , and his colleagues (I'm very sorry, I've forgotten their names) treated us like family. They gave us advice about sightseeing, told us where to shop, which restaurants to visit and so on.
Gaia , a good mid price restaurant with all day breakfast is 10 steps away. Thamel House Restaurant , with it's authentic Newari food, cultural program and friendly service is a 8 minute walk away. Do visit the Kaiser cafe at the Garden of dreams - a 10 minute walk from the hotel.
On the main Jyatha Thamel road outside the hotel, there is a phone booth and internet browsing centre - The proprietor cheats big time, and gets violent if you argue! Avoid!
If you are travelling from India, when told that the fare or the cost of something is x rupees, always clarify that it is Nepali rupees. A common con is for a taxi driver to say the cost of the journey is 200 rupees, and then demand Indian rupees at the end of the trip.
Indian Rs. 100 notes are accepted everywhere, but I believe it is illegal to carry Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes.
Don't miss Bhaktapur, Nagarkot, Patan, Pashupathinath and Boudhnath.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank gypsybloood
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 6, 2010

It has a pretty good location, fairly central, but quiet. Otherwise, in any civilized place it would be 1.5-2 star hotel. While recently freshened up, it remains a creaky place with very basic amenities, grey towels and slow(but free) Internet access. I guess I would be quite fine with it had it been at half the price, but by local standards they are quite expensive and have very little to show for it. A friend was staying at a Guest house at $20 a night and Holy Himalya was just marginally better.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Good location to experience the Tamel area. With-in walking distance of Durbar Square. The staff were wonderful and always helpfull. Just tell them where you want to go and what you want to see and presto... they arrange taxis, flights, treks the works. Excellent breakfast to start the day. Thanks Joti and all; hope to return soon.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We have just returned from Nepal. We spent 3 nights here and we loved it. Really helpful and a great spot with a young child. We didn't know where we staying before hand and was booked by Kris at Trekking Encounters (kris@trekkingencounters.com). Who was absolutely awesome and went over and beyond with organising everything for us on our trip in Kathmandu and Chitwan.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I stayed here 3 times before and after 2 treks. This hotel is by far the best value in Thamel as it is located in a quiet area but close to all the shops and restaurants.
Compared to other hotels I looked at it is cleaner, friendlier and great breakfasts
I booked airport transfer as I was arriving at midnight and I was pleased to see my transfer as soon as I arrived. Also what a pleasant surprise from the minute I arrived to the last day these people at this hotel are so obliging. I asked for a quiet room at the back and I got it although the front is also on a quiet road. They have bath tubs or showers and always had hot water. The bedding and towels are immaculate which cannot be said for all other hotels in Thamel
The staff are just brilliant and want to make you part of the family. I was offered tea in my room when I was tired or a nice bed on the garden roof to recover from the treks.
The breakfast is great as they will cook fresh pancakes with fresh fruit, omelletes, toast croissants and fresh juice and fresh coffee.
I was delighted to return back to this hotel after 2 treks as it's quiet, cozy and friendly and I would strongly recommend this hotel over any others I have seen.
There is a cafe at the top of the road called GAIA cafe which is superb as the food is excellent quality and very reasonable prices.
They have 2 computers and wifi. The TV has many channels and they have a superb lantern in the room if there are power cuts.
This hotel made it all worthwhile for me and If I were to revisit Thamel I would always stay at here at Holy Himalaya
Try to book well in advance as they do get full quickly
Thanks to all here for making my stay so enjoyable and thanks to Anil for arranging all he did for me here.
'The girl from UK'

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Mishtravels51
Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights as arranged by itournepal.com, which was an excellent company to see Nepal with.
Excellent location, right in Thamel, but away from the noise of the main street.
Everyone you need is walking distance.
Free Internet on 2nd floor.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends