“I hope there are better places for the money”

Hotel Holy Himalaya
Ranked #60 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed December 6, 2010

It has a pretty good location, fairly central, but quiet. Otherwise, in any civilized place it would be 1.5-2 star hotel. While recently freshened up, it remains a creaky place with very basic amenities, grey towels and slow(but free) Internet access. I guess I would be quite fine with it had it been at half the price, but by local standards they are quite expensive and have very little to show for it. A friend was staying at a Guest house at $20 a night and Holy Himalya was just marginally better.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 25, 2010

Good location to experience the Tamel area. With-in walking distance of Durbar Square. The staff were wonderful and always helpfull. Just tell them where you want to go and what you want to see and presto... they arrange taxis, flights, treks the works. Excellent breakfast to start the day. Thanks Joti and all; hope to return soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We have just returned from Nepal. We spent 3 nights here and we loved it. Really helpful and a great spot with a young child. We didn't know where we staying before hand and was booked by Kris at Trekking Encounters (kris@trekkingencounters.com). Who was absolutely awesome and went over and beyond with organising everything for us on our trip in Kathmandu and Chitwan.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I stayed here 3 times before and after 2 treks. This hotel is by far the best value in Thamel as it is located in a quiet area but close to all the shops and restaurants.
Compared to other hotels I looked at it is cleaner, friendlier and great breakfasts
I booked airport transfer as I was arriving at midnight and I was pleased to see my transfer as soon as I arrived. Also what a pleasant surprise from the minute I arrived to the last day these people at this hotel are so obliging. I asked for a quiet room at the back and I got it although the front is also on a quiet road. They have bath tubs or showers and always had hot water. The bedding and towels are immaculate which cannot be said for all other hotels in Thamel
The staff are just brilliant and want to make you part of the family. I was offered tea in my room when I was tired or a nice bed on the garden roof to recover from the treks.
The breakfast is great as they will cook fresh pancakes with fresh fruit, omelletes, toast croissants and fresh juice and fresh coffee.
I was delighted to return back to this hotel after 2 treks as it's quiet, cozy and friendly and I would strongly recommend this hotel over any others I have seen.
There is a cafe at the top of the road called GAIA cafe which is superb as the food is excellent quality and very reasonable prices.
They have 2 computers and wifi. The TV has many channels and they have a superb lantern in the room if there are power cuts.
This hotel made it all worthwhile for me and If I were to revisit Thamel I would always stay at here at Holy Himalaya
Try to book well in advance as they do get full quickly
Thanks to all here for making my stay so enjoyable and thanks to Anil for arranging all he did for me here.
'The girl from UK'

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Mishtravels51
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights as arranged by itournepal.com, which was an excellent company to see Nepal with.
Excellent location, right in Thamel, but away from the noise of the main street.
Everyone you need is walking distance.
Free Internet on 2nd floor.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I had never been to Nepal before and booked my ticket, travel through EcoTrek International. Part of this was staying in Holy Himalaya Hotel. From the minute I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted with smiles and the most amazing hospitality. The people who work at the hotel were happy to help with anything that I needed whether it was setting me up for an international call, telling me where a restaurant was, or even just a simple cup of tea. The food was great and dining room was clean and hygienic. Everyone was so easy to talk with and I felt like I had all these friends in such a short time. I felt safe going out any time of the day and walking around in the area. The rooms were clean and just enough for the type of travel I was doing. There was even a beautiful rooftop garden to just relax in. I had access to free internet in the hotel. I must say I was very very sad to leave when I had to. WHEN I go back to Kathmandu, I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Suryashine
Reviewed April 15, 2010

We used the Holy Himalaya as a base during our three week trip to Nepal. Most roads seem to originate in Kathmandu, like the spooks of a wheel, you travel back to the center before heading off in another direction. We stored our larger case with them and would take just enough with us to get by for 5-6 days, then come back and spend a night, and from there head in a new direction. Each time we were greeted like members of their family! They serve a very nice breakfast in the morning.....I love banana pancakes and they always did one up special for me which I might add were the best I tasted in all of Nepal. The rooms are spacious and clean. I might suggest you ask for a room in the back.....although located on a small alley there is construction going on just across from them. The hotels location in Thamel is great! Without hesitation I would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends