“Second visit and last visit”

Happiness Vegetarian
Ranked #246 of 1,127 Restaurants in Kathmandu
Reviewed March 3, 2019 via mobile

I tried this place about a month ago and ordered the dal bhat set and was satisfied with my meal, however on this visit I was very disappointed. I decided to try something different and ordered the fried potato with rice. I asked the waitress if it was a meal with a sauce to have with rice and she just nodded. I also ordered a sprite. I waited for about 20 minutes before my drink was brought to me and I asked for a glass. Another 10 minutes passed and still no glass. My fried potato and rice was brought to me and it could only be described as bland slimey potato peelings. No sauce, completely tasteless. I also asked for a glass to the same waitress a second time and waited 5 more minutes and still no glass. I took a mouthful of the potato and decided it was time to leave. Very disappointed. It seems the staff here are only interested in large groups and less so on solo customers.

Date of visit: March 2019
Write a reviewReviews (23)

Reviewed November 7, 2018 via mobile

I went about 3pm; after the lunch rush and ordered the mixed vegetable hot stew that was advertised as the days special. I also ordered rice which arrived cold. The stew could have been good but it wasn’t hot either. I suggest you ask what is on the menu that can be prepared fresh if you are eating after the main meal time

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 4, 2018

Had a simple lunch (big veggie Momo, vegetables and rice noddles soup) with black tea in this restaurant, and I appreciated the food, simple, cooked at the moment, and for a fair price compared to the other restaurants overlooking the square. Also they do not add extra charges. It’s Chinese dishes, and some Tibetan, and most of the customers were Chinese tourists. It got crowded around 1pm, before it was very quiet. The best is the view from the big windows, as it is on the second floor facing the stupa. Service was smiling and polite. The only negative point is the toilet, really very dirty.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant has an extensive vegetarian menu, most of which is also vegan. It also has a good view of the Boudhanath stupa. We got a couple of dishes to share (deep fried mushrooms and tofu in fermented bean sauce), both of which were good. The restaurant caters mainly to Chinese tourists and Buddhist monks and nuns but the menu is also in English. This is a good option when you're at the stupa.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed April 29, 2018

It is definitely not the interior that you may remember after your visit in Happiness Vegetarian Restaurant but despite of rather modest set up the food is really good. The menu features many, many dishes ( noodles, moms, many kind of vegetable dishes etc ) but the special focus is on Chinese cuisine . The prices are moderate and the view on the Buddha Stupa is terrific. I had sweet and sour tofu and the dish was just perfect. Definitely a place I like to recommend and visit many times in the future.

Date of visit: April 2018