“Don't stay there”

Ranked #93 of 438 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Saudi Arabia
“Don't stay there”
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Had booked for one week but left after 2 nights to a MUCH better and also cheaper guest house 2mins away. Stayed here last year for a few nights (bc the organization I came with puts you there) and it was ok (same toliet/curtain issue as described below but because I knew I would be leaving soon it was bearable).
First off, they said they would pick me up at the airport and when I arrived there was someone w/ my name on it as per email but the taxi driver didn't even know the way hence I got a little concerned and asked who sent him-didn't understand me so I mentioned the names of the staff there and he didn't know them--got to the guesthouse to be told that costs 500NPR and I said no the guest house will pay (which they did) only to be charged this when I checked out (that is my fault as I didn't read on site that airport pickup is free only if you book for more than 2nights--seeing as this is my 2nd time to nepal I'm pretty sure I could have got to the guesthouse myself for less than 500)...got to the room, decent enough just old/worn out...however "24hrs hot water" I do not think so also the toliet didn't even flush properly (at all, had to fill the bucket to flush toilet) as well as the curtains being fully see through and considering my room was by the staircase not all that ideal is it! When ya take a shower, water goes everywhere which is also a pain. Also my room didn't even have a place to store clothes such as a cupboard/drawer-which might be useful for ppl staying a longer period of time.
--Didn't eat the food this time but first time I did and it was good, nice view from the rooftop as well.
--Room did have a light running on a generator when loadshedding occured just not in bathroom.

Wouldn't rec. this place as there as so many other guesthouses nearby that are cleaner, newer, cheaper and have 24hr hot water

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank nz_er2010
upreti, manager at Kathmandu Peace Guest House, responded to this review, March 13, 2010
Dear Guest
Thank you for your valuable review on tripadvisor. According to your advised , we are immediately check and fixed.
We have different room have different tariff. Further next time if you want to our service again we are sure we will be ready to make you happy And also we don't have problem for the hot shower .
Thank you for your time.
Bikash Upreti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Belfast, Ireland
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Although the rooms are somewhat old fashioned and worn out, they are spotlessly clean and the service is very good. The location is great, just at the edge of Thamel and about 5 minutes walk from the main shopping streets, bars and restaurants. There's also a rooftop balcony. The only criticism is that the toilet was a bit leaky. Water ran out of it every time it was flushed. A plumber is required.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Reviewed January 16, 2010

The first time I arrived in the country, I was very apprehensive about what to expect and Kathmandu Peace Guest House made a lasting first impression. Located on the outskirts of Thamel, it's close enough to the action without being in the thick of it. The management, especially Bikash, are very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are clean and the food is good. Great value!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Switzerland
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We stayed a couple of nights in Kathmandu before and after the Annapurna Circuit. The Kathmandu Peace Guest House was a safe heaven to stay in walking distance to Thamel, but in a very quiet place. The rooms were big, simple and bright with a lot of windows and had all you need (even Internet access in your room). The staff was helpfull and our gear stored safely while we were trekking. The laundry though was cleaner after having it washed in a specialized place in Thamel (wash maschine) than by the service offered by the hotel (hand wash).

We found it a wonderful place to stay and will come again.

Andreas, Switzerland

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
upreti, manager at Kathmandu Peace Guest House, responded to this review, November 27, 2009
Dear sir/madam
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.com, we are very happy to see you soon.Thank you again for you like our service.hope we will see you again.
with best regard
bikash upreti
Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2009

We stayed at the Kathmandu Peace guest House for two weeks before heading out on a 22 day trek around the Annapurna Circuit and ABC Base Camp Sanctuary trek. We had a fantastic two weeks exploring Kathmandu and we had a fantastic and warm experience with Bikash and his accomidating staff. We left many items with him before leaving on the trek and returned to find them safetly stored and returned to us in perfect order. i would highly recomend the Kathmandu for anybody who is travelling to Nepal.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
upreti, manager at Kathmandu Peace Guest House, responded to this review, November 22, 2009
Dear Sir / madam
Thank your very much for your review on tripadvisor.com and like our service and safetly stored.Your review is very valubale for us.Hope we will see you soon.
Thank you again for contributing your time !
bikash upreti
Brussels
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I stayed 2 weeks around the Kathmandu valley last october and after staying at several places in Thamel I found by chance the lovely KTM peace guesthouse, in a quite location just out of the busy Thamel (5 mins walk). A really relaxing place; clean and with a manager always ready to help. My room had a nice sunny balcony, a private bathroom with hotshower (which is not common in places I went before), and a television to get some news from outside this world. Nice place and good value for such a package. I recommend it !

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Namaste !
Thank you for choosing Kathmandu Peace Guest House .We are very happy to see you reviev on trip advisor.com.Hope you enjoy and very happy with us.
Thank you again for contributing ! Your review is very valuable to us.
Bikash upreti
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 7, 2009

The Kathmandu peace guest house is a perfect place to stay in Kathmandu for western travelers. It's located in a super tourist friendly part of Kathmandu, Thamel. The streets are busy with rick shaws and shops but the kathmandu Peace guest house is just far enough from the chaos to provide peace and comfort. The staff there treats all guests like family and are always happy to serve you. Prices are also extremely reasonable, at about 10 USD per night. It is a great destination for anyone traveling to Kathmandu.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank kylemac177
Dear kyle
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.com. I am very happy to see your review and like our service.
Hope we will see you again at Kathmandu Peace Guest house.
Thank you !