“Warm staff but tepid water”

Kathmandu Peace Guest House
Ranked #97 of 433 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Bangladesh
“Warm staff but tepid water”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The staff go out of their way to be helpful and welcoming. There is also a free pickup/drop from the airport if you stay 2+ nights. I'd recommend this place if you are coming into the country and don't mind the tepid water so much. It never really gets hot. If you finished a trek and need to relax you may want a hot shower.

The power in the city goes out on a schedule. There is an emergency light in the room. Small and cheap guest houses can't afford a generator. If you want them to turn on the boiler make sure that this isn't during a power outage and then give them a ring at reception. The heater seems to turn the water from ice cold to tepid. It was OK for me when I wanted a cheap hotel for my first few nights.

This place is excellent value.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
upreti, Front Office Manager at Kathmandu Peace Guest House, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear guest !
Thank your for your valuable review and searing our service at tripadvisor . we are always cearful to guest satisfaction and quality servie maintain. But unfortunately your didin't got hot sawer and tapid water problem, if we know on time we are aredy to fix it withen a minute but we are late so i like to say sorry and promise you next time definitely will not happen. thank you for your support to our management team.
Have a nice time and waiting your next visit to Nepal.
Bikash upreti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Great place to stay. Bikash helped me at many points, from giving me directions to sights, or helping me with taxi fares and showing me the way to clinics. Bikash stored my luggage while I went to India and helped me book train tickets through India. The night I returned to Kathmandu I got back at 3 am, and he was waiting to let me in the gates. The rooftop view is phenomenal and a great place for late nights. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Geust !
Thank your for choosing kathmandu peace guesthouse and like our service . it is our duty and responsibility to help and make easier to our guest during a staying in Nepal. Thank to used our free luggage storage service which is only for our guest who staying at guest house. Normally we close the main gate after 11 pm, so i thought you was tired with long journey so that i don't liek to wait outside thats way i was waiting outside to carry your bag and make your easier.
see your in your next visit to nepal
Athens, Greece
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed here March 2014 for 9 excellent days. It was what it said, peaceful in Kathmandu style. I had an accident and Bikash took me to the hospital 2 times, generally very friendly owners and staff. Bikash smart and funny guy, always there to help. Especially if there are peanuts on the table!

Thank you for nursing us with great chai masala and food in the room, for the company on the ismall garden under the sun, generally for everything and mostly for your smiles :)

Giorgos and Artemis

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest
Thank your for your review at tripadvisor and staying at kathmandu peace guest house. Thank your again to remember us what i did to you , it was my duty to help becouse of you had bike accident so it my duty and also responsibility to take to hospital for your treatment. i am very happy to know that you like our familier service ...with smile.
we will be waiting your next visit soon.
Kathmandu peace guest house
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed about a week with in this guest house and found it to be comfortable, inexpensive and relaxing. the staff were very helpful and went out of their way to assist me in my stay in Nepal. The food was nice and plentiful. The accommodation is simple but comfortable and clean. Would definitely stay again.
I found this guest house through Himalayan Quest Travels & Tourism. The staff from this company were very very helpful and I highly recommend them to anyone needing travel assistance in Nepal.

Room Tip: Ask the staff for help. They are great and very willing to assist you!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
upreti, Front Office Manager at Kathmandu Peace Guest House, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear valuable guest
Thank your for your review at tripadvisor and like our service & Food at Restaurant. we always careful for cleanness, comfortable and securety to our guest. For your next visit will be more comfortable & great time to nepal.
Thank your !
Noorat
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My wife and I just spent 2 weeks trekking in Nepal, staying in Kathmandu, Pokhara and Chitwan National Park. We were fortunate to link up with the hotel in KTM as a mate and his wife had done the same trek years earlier. So with confidence we left everything to Kesab and Khrishna at the KTM Peace Guest House, from picking us up at the airport , outlying a 6 day trek to Poon Hill and Ghandruk which was tailored to our needs, me being 61 and my wife 59 we were looked after famously by our guide Dip and porter Sembu. We stayed.3 nights at Chitwan at the tiger Camp and 3 nights at HOTEL Grand , Lakeside. But the trek was fantastic, so helpful was the guide and the porter they made the trip for us. My advice go with these guys and you will not be disappointed. Honest, trustworthy, reputable, caring what more can we say. Happy to take questions re costs etc. don't worry about buying sleeping bags and thermal coats etc, wait until you get to Nepal, Dip took me to a place in KTM costs were about $60 each for sleeping bag and coats, sure not the real North Face but made in Vietnam or China but did the trick , we were warm thru the night. Going back again to do Everest viewing, can't wait. Do yourself a favour contact me for details etc. form Marg and Justin in Australia.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest !
Thank your for your review at trip advisor and like our service. we are glad to know your are trusting and used our free storage service at hotel. Also we like to say thank to your valuable suggesation for shopping, next time we will directly helping by my self. we all are waiting your next visit to Nepal.
thank you again.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2013

It is a very standard budget accommodation but you can get a nicer room for less even in Thamel. I think the allure is that it is just outside of thamel's busy areas so it's quieter but it's also annoying to walk back late at night. It's not atrocious by any means it's just I don't think the value is there.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank canadianhockey91
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I went here for a few days on the beginning of my trip to Nepal.
Owner seemed to be nice, but it turned out he only tried to get as much money from me as possible. I booked a standard room in advance, and even after confirming I wanted a standard room, it turned out I was put in a 'deluxe' room. The owner made me pay for a deluxe room I didn't ask for. (Also charged me Rs.700 for Airport transport, and I had to remind him of the 20% discount for online booking).
Don't listen to the guy from a travelagency that wants to sell you a trek, as he will ask way too much money.

Beds where not clean (blood on the sheets), and bathroom wasn't very good either (the sink was leaking and the shower wasn't working properly). Wifi and sattelite TV are OK. Also the WIFI and a backup light are working when there is no power. The restaurant at the hotel was not bad either.

bottom line: You easily find a better room for less money elsewhere at Thamel, so don't go here if you don't have to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo