“Very kind staff, very good host”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kathmandu
Dolphin Guest House
Ranked #40 of 442 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Bad Karlshafen
“Very kind staff, very good host”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We (my husband and I, in the mid - fifties, from Germany) just returned from our Nepal trip and a second stay in Kathmandu, Dolphin Guest House. For the first stay, we had a double bed room with internal bathroom, very small but clean and always with hot water (which is not standard in Nepal!! At all, not in the budget hotel). Electricity is always a problem because of arbitrary cut off of power by who knows who . But there is always emergency illumination in every room an bathroom (my experience at least). When we returned to Kathmandu after two and a half week, we had a double bed room with shared bathroom - and this is the reason for one star less: I assume, that this is - in contrary to the bathrooms belonging to only one room - are not cleaned up as carefully. The quality of beds is the average nepali quality - everywhere where we stayed in hotels it was the same - so it is okay for this price.
What we liked the most:

- Mr. Joshis an his staff`extraodinary kindness who give help whenever you need it, for example, when youre looking for a hotel in another city, a bus ticket etc.
- the roof garden !!! Nice flowers, nice view (at all: you can see the golden roof of Swayambunath at night - very nice!)
- the breakfast - rolls - hmmmmmhjammmy....

Tomorrow we will try our present for breakfast - Nepali organic coffee, an we will remember the good times in Kathmandu...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We are a couple in our fifties just back from three weeks Nepal in July.
We arrived in Kathmandu without accommodation plans, had a coffee and chose the Dolphin Guest House based on Trip Advisor reviews.
We were delighted with the choice.
The guesthouse is in the north of Thamel but only a pleasant walk to all parts of Thamel and a little further to Durbar Square.
We stayed at the Dolphin twice, before and after a trip to Pokhara.
It ticked all the boxes, quiet, secure, clean, good sized rooms and hot showers.
The real bonus however was the service and friendliness of Surendra and his staff who were more than happy to talk and help. They were great sources of information about what to see, how to get there, what to avoid and general cultural information.
Surendra booked our Pokhara bus trip and his staff got us to the bus in the morning so we didn't get lost. They were constantly anticipating possible needs (umbrellas if you need them - and it was the monsoon, wi-fi, advice on eating places, prices you might expect to pay etc) as well as happily fielding our direct questions.
Surendra speaks a number of languages including English and French (we believe he is quite competent in about eight of them) and I am very grateful for his patience in conversing with this elementary Australian French student trying out his skills, or lack thereof, with him. It was a highlight for me and entertained my wife who could see some basic return for my two years of lessons at the Alliance Francaise.
A very pleasant experience which we recommend to others.

Room Tip: The staff will no doubt tell you that the rooms on one side of the hotel have bathrooms while those...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DannyandLinda
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was pleased to stay there. Yes, there may be places around with bigger rooms for similar budget, but overall it’s excellent. The hotel staff is very kind. Breakfast in the terrace is tasty (the coffee!) and relaxing. Didn’t have a computer, they left me use one downstairs. The place is well maintained. Hot water all time even under power shortage. More importantly, it is safe. The door is constantly watched.
I did not know KTM or Nepal before, and during my 3 days there, the owner suggested a program of visit day by day, which I followed. Flawless, great time. I would have not dared take buses or go to the places I’ve been without his guidance. Also of good advice when I queried the price of things and taxis. Very friendly and resourceful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Innsbruck, Austria
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I experienced the Dolphin as a quiet and relaxing place at the brink of the busy Thamel quarter. The host (Mr. Joshi) is a very cordial person and nice to talk to on possibly every issue a visitor could think of, from informations on daytrips around Kathmandu, the appropriate taxi fare to any sight and also interesting background informations on Nepali culture and traditions.The rooms were always nice and clean, hot showers were available at any daytime as well as Wi-Fi and the rooms were taken care of on a daily basis. Another nice feature of the Guesthouse is its quiet rooftop terrace where it is also possible to have a hearty breakfeast in a relaxing atmosphere before one starts into the bustling streets of Kathmandu!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Dolphin Guest House is run by Mr. Joshi and his wonderful manager Barbarat, they both go out of their way to be helpful and obliging. We were picked up at the airport, no charge and taken straight to the guest house. The rooms are typically Nepali with big blankets to keep you warm if necessary, very clean sheets, light airy rooms,constant hot water and working plumbing! Wardrobes,bedside tables etc.There are power cuts but usually not that much of a nuisance. Location is great, down a tiny back street but only a 5 minute stroll to Thamel where all the action is, very little street noise at night, there is a lovely roof terrace with a pretty garden complete with sparrows.........we even had a complimentary pot of tea when we arrived. You can also leave anything you want in a secure room if you go to Pokhara trekking, which is what we did, spending our last two days in Katmandu before returning to the UK. This is value for money with a cheery smile.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms on the 3rd floor, little bit lighter..........
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at Dolphin Guesthouse on and off between travels in Nepal from Feb 20-Mar 31. This was my first visit to Nepal so I looked at TA to help me find a decent place to stay. The choices can be overwhelming but I settled on Dolphin based on good reviews and I wasn't disappointed. I am a 53 yr old solo, female, budget traveler, but prefer a private room. When I inquired about a reservation at Dolphin, the owner Mr. Joshi responded quickly to my emails and thoroughly answered all my questions. I immediately felt comfortable so I reserved my first nights there via email. What I really liked about the place is that it is family owned and run. Mr. Joshi and his wife live on the premises. He was almost always available and often working at reception. He was friendly and gave good recommendations for travel and sightseeing around Kathmandu. He also referred me to a wonderful tour agency for my Mt. Everest trek when I asked him for a suggestion. I checked other agencies but his recommendation turned out to be a great choice for me. Dolphin was a basic, no frills accomodation. It was very clean, quiet (inside the guesthouse) and secure. I had room 305 with a shared bathroom next to my room. I thought this bathroom was fairly large and always had hot water with good pressure. My room had a fan, no AC (although I didn't need it) and plenty of light. During the 12 hour a day power outages the room had a small but adequate emergency light. My room faced a side street and although Dolphin sits at the quieter, less hectic north edge of Thamel I have to admit there was quite a bit of street noise until about 11-11:30pm. Most of it came from people hanging around on the street talking loud. There were no clubs with loud music or anything like that. It seems nearly impossible to get away from noise completely in Thamel so I just accepted that fact. At least Dolphin was quiet inside, all of the guests seemed pretty considerate in that regard. Someone else covered breakfast and wifi so all I will add is that they do go and get fresh baked bread from a local bakery and it was good. They also give you complimentary coffee or tea. I used the reasonably priced laundry service there and was always satisfied. They also provided me free luggage storage on several occasions. If I return to Kathmandu I will stay at Dolphin again. There may be less expensive budget places but none where I would feel as comfortable and welcome. There are definitely more expensive budget places that are not much nicer, less personal, and plenty noisy. Thanks again to Mr. Joshi and Dolphin for providing me a home away from home.

Room Tip: Rooms at back may be quieter.
Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kathy M
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice guesthouse close to the main drag so you have access to great restaurants of Thamel but on a side street so that its quite peaceful at night. The owner is very friendly and helpful and even offered to take me to the local organic market. The rooms are cozy but they are spotless and the rooftop garden is a really nice place to read and relax after a busy day in the city. Great value and a good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013