“Ok Ok, Nice For The Price..”
Review of Hotel Blue Horizon

Hotel Blue Horizon
Ranked #86 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
“Ok Ok, Nice For The Price..”
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Super Deluxe And Suite Are Good With AC And Hygiene, Expensive Food As Compared To Quality They Provide And Street Leading To Hotel is Not Good With Lots Of Man-Hole Under Repairing, Unable To Enjoy Night Life In Thamel As It Is Inconv. To Walk At Night.

The Travel Packages They Provide Are Very Expensive, So Stay Away From Them.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank abhi6795
Wagledevendra, General Manager at Hotel Blue Horizon, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Abhi6795,
Thank you very much for staying with us. We are so happy to hear that you liked our super deluxe and the suites.

At the moment we are undergoing the situation that PUBLIC road that lead to out hotel have to be repaired which have disturbed you so we would like to present an apology for your inconveniences. Disaster can accur to anybody without the prior-information. The road department had helped us by digging the roads in this OFF SEASON otherwise it would have been more disaster. The works have been done so fast that in few more days roads will be as clean as before.

About the Travel packages, it is not compulsory to buy from the agents present at the hotel if you find it unfit for you. They are available for the FREE INFORMATION that you can always utilize, besides, you always have a choice. Compared to the quality and deliberation , the prices cannot be judged unless if you have experienced the trip with them. We believe guests love quality, and quality means little higher in prices.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I'll make this as detailed as possible. In doing so, I hope you will make an informed decision.

I stayed here for over three weeks. Knowing that is a review asking you to stay away, what compelled me to not move was that my internship was thirty seconds away.
Initially, there was no problem at all. We argued down the rate for the room to around Rs 1000 INR and it was specifically agreed that half the money would be paid by cash and the rest by bank transfer.

Over the next three weeks is where my impression was afforded the opportunity to change.
1) There are two wings. The newly constructed one and the older one. You will, for obvious reasons be shown the older one first.
2) Through out our stay, we could not sleep beyond 5 am as there is construction going on just next door. This means that everyday, there is no sleep beyond five.
3) There are power cuts till 5 on most days with no backup generator. ONE light in the room works. There are no working plug points anywhere in the hotel.
4) They cited technical problems for the lack of hot water more than thrice.
5) The food at the restaurant is below average. The Paneer Butter Masala was flooded in oil and we returned the entire food. The milk is old. And they will fight you on any problem you have with the food. ("No sir, a sandwhich here is not grilled unless you tell us while ordering that it should be grilled.")
6) The rooms are separated by a single wall. EVERYTHING spoken in another room, will be heard by you.

Most of all, here is where things got worse. At the time of payment (keeping in mind that half in cash was already paid), they refused bank transfer for the rest. And how was this done? With both the guys at the front desk screaming saying that they can demand payment however they want.

They refused the existence of net transfer on their website, and when I tried showing it to them on my laptop, both refused to acknowledge what was in front of their eyes. On things getting heated, they called their 'manager' who was accompanied by three others.
All four then proceeded to threaten me that me (and the lady accompanying me) would be forced to stay within the premises unless we made a cash payment. On raising our voices, two threatened to beat me up unless the cash was given to them and no bill for the same would be provided.
Keeping out physical safety in mind, before things got worse, I left from there and got to the room. The one that prevented me from calling the Tourist Police was that the flight was in 2 hours and we had no time to spare.
Don't get me wrong. The rooms are decent.
This is the experience you can expect with their 'management'. If you are looking for sub-standard stay with average food, this is the place. I did stay for three weeks. But did not expect to be beaten up by four oversized men.
In the end, I got not bill. The money was pocketed. The food bills were removed from the register. I was compelled to pay cash. With four men watching us, we left the premises quietly.
If you are women, I strongly suggest you stay away from this place. My reasons for this are primarily their waiters. Also, the street where they are located have no street lights. It's pitch dark and there is enough cat-calling.
In totality, if all you care about is a place to dump your bags, go ahead.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
8 Thank Karangupta12
Wagledevendra, Manager at Hotel Blue Horizon, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We Have sent the evidence of the copy of the bill paid by you and signed by you to TripAdvisor Team. If found necessary we can post those copy of your signed bill in public as well.You have stole a room key from the Hotel. Wire transfer is for your convenience as when you are short in money and you can ask your family to send via wire transfer or credit card etc during your stay, but cannot be utilized after the guests return. Original food bill is with you and we have the copy. the one you mentioned as a bill is just the rough estimates and you didnot take any tour from us. There are no such construction starting in 5 am and which is also not allowed in whole Kathmandu to start at that time. we have 100s of guest staying and this complain is just made by you.

Further evidences can be provided as per required. Your review is the clear case if revenge when we requested you to clear the bill BEFORE checking out.
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Nice quiet hotel in a peaceful residential lane, opposite yoga centre; close to main bank ATM and ex-Royal Palace; this small villa hotel is nice and friendly, informal but not over-familiar; just a couple hundred metres from boisterous Thamel with its pushy peddlers and noisy crowds. Good clean rooms and good service

• Stayed October 2013
Central Poland, Poland
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I stayed twice at Blue Horizon - a couple of days in 2013 (February) and just over two weeks in February/March 2014. Both trips were combinations of business (charity) and sightseeing. I chose The Blue Horizon looking for a budget hotel with basic amenities such as a bathroom, hot water and access to the Internet. I got it all. I knew I was going to the capital of a poor country so I was not expecting the standard of an average European hotel where one pays at least $100.00 per night and I was not disappointed. The hotel has a range of rooms of different standards and different prices. My room was OK (US25.00). The old TV set did not work but I didn't really need it as I was out most of the day. The room was clean and so was the bathroom. I enjoyed breakfasts in the garden but did not stay for lunch or dinner so I can't judge the quality of the food. For coffee drinkers there is a small cafe next door "The cafe" with the best coffee in Nepal! Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Each morning (and on returning to the hotel) I was greeted with a friendly smile of the staff member on duty. The hotel offers airport transport service.The price is the same as hiring a professional taxi service (I don't mean one of those little Suzuki which may be cheaper and are OK for a more adventurous traveler. Laundry service is good, quick and inexpensive. With frequent power cuts in Nepal it is essential to have a good torch. The hotel is located slightly off the main road so a torch comes very useful after dark ad at night when you need to get out of bed (the generator is switched off at some point). . Location is great - quiet yet very close to "the heart of Thamel", a supermarket, banks, ATMs and a post office. The hotel can arrange bus and plane tickets,tours etc but I did not use these services. The guests I saw there were of all ages, young and elderly, trekkers, traders, students, singles and couples which suggests that the hotel can meet all kinds of needs and both full and only half-full wallets. Summing up - a good budget hotel. I will stay there again.
Bob Marek, Poland forblindkids@gmail.com

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Bob M
Dubai
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Great team who go out of their way to help you. Tailored trips for your your personal needs. Lovely hotel tucked in a nice location which is conveniently tucked away at the end of Thamel's busy streets. If you want the most out of your holiday then this is the place to visit. Perfect for the solo traveller.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Adelaide River, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2014

During my EBC Trek in March 2014, I stayed at Hotel Blue Horizon. My experience of stay at Hotel BH was excellent. Their customer service, room service and food quality was of top class. I was welcomed everyday by smiling staff who was keen to provude any assistance needed. I would strongly recommend anyone to stay at Hotel BH?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Somesh D
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night. Room was drab, but ok. Not entirely clean. Hot water worked. Power worked as they have a generator. Quiet sidestreet location v. Convenient for thamel. Best bit is the nice garden, worst bit is the hotel manager who seemed intent on selling us a trek immediately on arrival and thereafter every time we saw him despite that we werent in the slightest bit interested. For this reason i cant recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple