Hotel Florid Nepal
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Hotel Buddha(Kathmandu)
View Hotel
All reviewsnice garden restaurantgreen valleyhot waterhotel ownerspretty gardentouristic areagreat central locationcomfortable roomtrekking tripawesome staycheap hotelside streetbig roomhotel locatedreception deskfour nightsfree wifi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Nepal was a big culture shock for my father and I but we ended up not wanting to leave. Hotel Florid has basic rooms with shower and toilet attached. It boasts cyber cafe and currency exchange which actually isn't true. The exchange bureau is down the street and there's an internet cafe opposite that doesn't serve food or drinks. What hotel florid does have is a beautiful garden, great food and drinks all very cheap, fantastic staff and WiFi which I could access from my room. The owner is very friendly and helpful and helped us to organise a flight over Everest through a local tour operator and a hiking trip which we truly enjoyed. A few other downfalls where the airport pickup, we were mobbed when we arrived at Kathmandu by taxi drivers but we dismissed them and stood round waiting for our pickup which didn't arrive. We ended up taking a taxi after a long wait. Lastly, I found myself locked out of the hotel on a few occasions, as they lock up really quite early. Although I was only over the road using the computer, I found myself having to bang on the shutters and waking up the staff to let me in at 11pm. Overall we did feel very at home there and well looked after even though we were only there for 5 days. All said, I'd definitely stay there again and recommend it. The people are just lovely, so hard working and happy. Sad to have left Nepal, what a place it is.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 3, 2012

First things first, this is not a luxury hotel. But for a budget hotel, I think this is one of the better ones I stayed at during my time in Nepal. I've stayed at other guest houses/hotels and paid more, for less quality than Hotel Florid.

Overall the rooms were very clean and well maintained (I could sleep without having to use my sleeping bag) and the owner and staff are very friendly and attentive.

Power outages are common (as it is for the rest of Nepal) and I think this affects the availability of hot water and WI-FI when the power is out which can be frustrating at times.

Its located in the middle of Thamel and a close walk to all the main cafes, shops and restaurants.

One of the things I liked the most was the affordability of their meals. The american breakfast and fried rice is really good and portions are generous - for almost half the price of the tourist restaurants in Thamel. well worth it.

Will definitely stay there again if I come back to Nepal.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eric1205
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Travellers beware: Kathmandu is cold at night and not every hotel has 24-hour hot water. This hotel is one of them. First the owner's wife came to our room who simply said no hot water. Then a young male staff came and said no power (but we still have lights). We asked him to find hot water for us. We desperately needed a shower after our excursion. We waited for nearly an hour. Finally we found the owner who said it's a budget hotel and they cannot guarantee hot water, blah blah blah. So we went to Cosmic Hotel right next door. The kind owner opened the store room for us and brought us 3 buckets of hot water with towels - for free! Recommend you to go to Cosmic which is cheaper with helpful staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer n
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I were in Nepal in October 2012 and stayed multiple times at Hotel Florid as we used Kathmandu as a base for other excursions. The owners and staff were very warm and welcoming without being too friendly or intrusive as some other hotels can be ( I talking about you Hotel Courtyard). The location of the hotel was great for exploring Thamel, the rooms were basic, clean and safe. The only downside was the street noise and the power outages but that can be said for any hotel in Kathmandu. Very good value for the room (less than half the price of neighboring Hotel Courtyard). We would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelBug3919
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The hospitality of the owner, his family and staff is what you expect when you stay in Nepal. Nice and clean rooms and in a quiet street. This is where you want to stay in Kathmandu.
Ina and Marco (room 501)