“Good value for money.”

Ranked #56 of 203 Hotels in Kathmandu
Sydney, Australia
“Good value for money.”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

First things first, this is not a luxury hotel. But for a budget hotel, I think this is one of the better ones I stayed at during my time in Nepal. I've stayed at other guest houses/hotels and paid more, for less quality than Hotel Florid.

Overall the rooms were very clean and well maintained (I could sleep without having to use my sleeping bag) and the owner and staff are very friendly and attentive.

Power outages are common (as it is for the rest of Nepal) and I think this affects the availability of hot water and WI-FI when the power is out which can be frustrating at times.

Its located in the middle of Thamel and a close walk to all the main cafes, shops and restaurants.

One of the things I liked the most was the affordability of their meals. The american breakfast and fried rice is really good and portions are generous - for almost half the price of the tourist restaurants in Thamel. well worth it.

Will definitely stay there again if I come back to Nepal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eric1205

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
hong kong
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Travellers beware: Kathmandu is cold at night and not every hotel has 24-hour hot water. This hotel is one of them. First the owner's wife came to our room who simply said no hot water. Then a young male staff came and said no power (but we still have lights). We asked him to find hot water for us. We desperately needed a shower after our excursion. We waited for nearly an hour. Finally we found the owner who said it's a budget hotel and they cannot guarantee hot water, blah blah blah. So we went to Cosmic Hotel right next door. The kind owner opened the store room for us and brought us 3 buckets of hot water with towels - for free! Recommend you to go to Cosmic which is cheaper with helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer n
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I were in Nepal in October 2012 and stayed multiple times at Hotel Florid as we used Kathmandu as a base for other excursions. The owners and staff were very warm and welcoming without being too friendly or intrusive as some other hotels can be ( I talking about you Hotel Courtyard). The location of the hotel was great for exploring Thamel, the rooms were basic, clean and safe. The only downside was the street noise and the power outages but that can be said for any hotel in Kathmandu. Very good value for the room (less than half the price of neighboring Hotel Courtyard). We would stay there again.

1 Thank TravelBug3919
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The hospitality of the owner, his family and staff is what you expect when you stay in Nepal. Nice and clean rooms and in a quiet street. This is where you want to stay in Kathmandu.
Ina and Marco (room 501)
Breda
The Netherlands

2 Thank Mavadeli
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed October 15, 2012

It has been most wonderful experience when I have stayed at "Hotel Florid' in Nepal. I was on pilgrimage there most recently. I am impressed with hospitality and kindness of the people who work at this hotel. The rooms have always been clean and bright. The food has always been fresh and tasty. I have had most interesting conversations with the staff as well as guests there. The hotel is owned by lovely Thali family. I would like to personally thank Chaman, who is the Managing Director of this hotel as well as Menuka, Bipim, Bishu and Meika. Thank you very much indeed for your warmth. Cheers!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Michael B
Witten, Germany
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed two days in Hotel Florid. The owner is helpful, but the room are overprized although we got one with garden view. Furniture ist old, the room and especially the bedding were dirty. You can find better accomodation for the same price!

2 Thank wilvol
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Florid in July 2010 and paid 300 rupees per night. I was 19 (lone female traveller) and I found the hotel to be really safe and friendly throughout my stay.

I went to Pokhara and they happily looked after my luggage in the storage room which was padlocked and my bags were safe and sound throughout my stay :).

There's also a nice little tea shop next door, and a bakery down the road for half priced bake goods after 7pm.

Highly recommended :).