“Very friendly, good location”

Annapurna Guest House
Ranked #58 of 452 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here in December 2012 with my daughter before we flew to Lukla and hiked to Everest Base Camp. We stayed 2 nights before our trek and 2 nights after. They were very helpful with booking our Lukla flights, getting us taxis to the airport and over all questions. We had cold showers at first but then figured out the warm water. We ate at the Guest House and it was fine. We were able to leave our excess baggage there while we hiked and it was safe and sound when we returned. I found it to be very clean and quiet and an easy walk to the backpacker's district. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Annapurna Guest House

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here at the beginning of our backpacking trip 8 months ago. I booked it by email because this place had ok reviews, location IS good, price seemed all right by western standadrs, and of course because of their airport pickup (i was landing late at night).

BIG MISTAKE! This has turned out to be one of the worst and dearest places that we stayed at.

1, We must have killed at least 10 cocroaches only the first night.
2, The room and bed sheets were filthy.
3, They are very pushy for guests to book trips and treks with their travel agent. Needless to say you'd be mad to do this.
4, They tried to overcharge us on checkout.

Theres plenty of places to stay in thamel for $4-$8, just walk in and check the rooms!

All in all this is a terrible place to stay and would not reccomend to anybody. I have stayed in a lot of budget accomodation and still cannot understand how this hotel gets so many good reviews.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed May 7, 2013

AGH is comfortable, clean, friendly and has great staff that will do just about anything for you if you ask! Cost is very affordable and has an awesome garden rooftop in which to enjoy honey ginger tea or whatever your preference of food or drink is from the hotel restaurant and they can bring it up for you. AGH is also within 5-10 minutes walk of all the best restaurants in Thamel and in general Kathmandu. There's also free wi-fi and a computer if you need to use it, also AGH is out of the hustle and bustle of Thamel so it's pretty quiet. AGH also offer taxi service to and from the airport if needed. I have stayed there and trekked in Nepal twice now and I would definately stay there again. :)

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and standard is good.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thor O
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here both before and after our annapurna circuit trek and found it great.

The staff were attentive, friendly and helpful.
The location is great - down a side st in Thamel.
There's free wifi and a computer if you need it.
There's free luggage storage.

The rooms are cosy, clean and comfortable.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank holliesherlock
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The lodge is situated at the edge of Thamel down a quiet side street. Booking by internet easy, we were met at the airport, free taxi. Our first room was a budget, a bit cramped but adequate for us seasoned traveller No fan but opening the windows was fine as KTM is cool at night in the spring. We went trekking and came back. We had booked a mid range room but as one was not available so were upgraded to "luxury" at no extra cost. Trek was booked in the guest house and was first rate. (Mount Fuji Adventure Ltd).
Lovely helpful and friendly staff, we were even given silk scarves when we left. If we ever go back to Kathmandu (this was our fourth trip) we shall definitely stay at the AGH.

Room Tip: The higher you go the quieter! If you are fit try the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davidvictorwheeler
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was on a backpacking trip in Nepal recently when i stayed at the Annapurna guest house. Here are some pros and cons.

PROS
1. Excellent location - situated in Thamel, the backpacking place. Most of the reputed trekking companies are at walking distance. And of course, there are numerous shops that sell trekking gear.
2. Very friendly staff - they were very helpful. Helped me with some useful information about Kathmandu.
3. Airport pickup - this is included in the room price, if you stay for 3 days or more.
4. Decent rooms - nothing fancy, but pretty decent for the price you pay. They also have deluxe rooms which cost more - i stayed in one of the budget rooms without an attached bath.
5. Free Wifi and a desktop for those without electronic devices

CONS
1. Figuring out the hotel board at the airport may be a bit of a treasure hunt - you need ask a couple of people to find the pickup.
2. Transport arranged by the hotel may be slightly expensive if you are on a tight budget

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AthmaGyaan
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed at this friendly guest house April 2013. Booked ahead accommodation for four nights in a standard room with shared bathroom. The rate included an airport pickup. Arrived at katmandu and saw numerous persons holding signs, not my guest house. Eventually with the help of a porter the transit was located. Arrived at guesthouse and they had given away my room. They had "upgraded" me to a third floor room with bathroom. The upgrade part had to be the bathroom included however the door lock was stripped and very difficult to open and close, I was locked in the room and not able to get out nor get help, the inhouse phone they provide was never answered. I eventually got the door open, after telling the manager my problem he admitted that he knew there was a problem with the door and advised me not to use the lock, just the latch. No extra charge for this upgraded room. The mattress was in poor shape and the sheets were threadbare and bally, but for the price ok. The power outs were continuous and no alternate lights provided. The wifi worked well but with no power the useage was limited. Next day I was supposed to receive a new room. I packed my bags and started my day. I arrived back at my accommodation to be told I was now on the fifth floor in a standard room as I had booked. I hiked up to the fifth floor, there was one room opposite the storage room and next to the garden restaurant rooftop area. The bathroom was wet and filthy and shared with the restaurant, I was told not but when I asked where did the people go to use the toilet that were in the restaurant he said back down to their room. I think not as the bathroom door was open to the public. The room was very dirty, with filth not swept off the floor and the sheets smelt from the previous owner. I reported my discomfort to the manager and he checked the room and said yes there was a problem and he offered me another room of course this time more expensive, I took the room and agreed to the higher price. The room was ok, on the first floor, large and decently clean however the smell from generators premeated within the room and I found that I was getting sick and lightheaded, and at this point after three nights, I decided although it was a very friendly guesthouse, it was not a good choice healthwise. I looked for another guesthouse and checked out. They were surprised i decided to leave. The did admit that they had a generator but limited the use. I can respect their decision but it would be a good suggestion to post the hours for the guests to know this. I barely used the facility at this guest house, however, I must say that the staff was extremely friendly, the location very good. I would not come here again but that is a very personal decision based on my comfort level. Traveling alone as a budget traveller this is a good guesthouse and my suggestion to the management would be to just do a little minor maintenance to ensure the safety and comfort of the guest, and perhaps do a qualtity control once in a while on the cleaning staff upon a checkout room.

Room Tip: bring a towel, not provided, bring a flashlight many powerouts, don't stay on the first floor fu...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo