“Can't fault it”

Ranked #57 of 440 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Can't fault it”
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here both before and after our annapurna circuit trek and found it great.

The staff were attentive, friendly and helpful.
The location is great - down a side st in Thamel.
There's free wifi and a computer if you need it.
There's free luggage storage.

The rooms are cosy, clean and comfortable.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank holliesherlock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The lodge is situated at the edge of Thamel down a quiet side street. Booking by internet easy, we were met at the airport, free taxi. Our first room was a budget, a bit cramped but adequate for us seasoned traveller No fan but opening the windows was fine as KTM is cool at night in the spring. We went trekking and came back. We had booked a mid range room but as one was not available so were upgraded to "luxury" at no extra cost. Trek was booked in the guest house and was first rate. (Mount Fuji Adventure Ltd).
Lovely helpful and friendly staff, we were even given silk scarves when we left. If we ever go back to Kathmandu (this was our fourth trip) we shall definitely stay at the AGH.

Room Tip: The higher you go the quieter! If you are fit try the 4th floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davidvictorwheeler
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was on a backpacking trip in Nepal recently when i stayed at the Annapurna guest house. Here are some pros and cons.

PROS
1. Excellent location - situated in Thamel, the backpacking place. Most of the reputed trekking companies are at walking distance. And of course, there are numerous shops that sell trekking gear.
2. Very friendly staff - they were very helpful. Helped me with some useful information about Kathmandu.
3. Airport pickup - this is included in the room price, if you stay for 3 days or more.
4. Decent rooms - nothing fancy, but pretty decent for the price you pay. They also have deluxe rooms which cost more - i stayed in one of the budget rooms without an attached bath.
5. Free Wifi and a desktop for those without electronic devices

CONS
1. Figuring out the hotel board at the airport may be a bit of a treasure hunt - you need ask a couple of people to find the pickup.
2. Transport arranged by the hotel may be slightly expensive if you are on a tight budget

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AthmaGyaan
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed at this friendly guest house April 2013. Booked ahead accommodation for four nights in a standard room with shared bathroom. The rate included an airport pickup. Arrived at katmandu and saw numerous persons holding signs, not my guest house. Eventually with the help of a porter the transit was located. Arrived at guesthouse and they had given away my room. They had "upgraded" me to a third floor room with bathroom. The upgrade part had to be the bathroom included however the door lock was stripped and very difficult to open and close, I was locked in the room and not able to get out nor get help, the inhouse phone they provide was never answered. I eventually got the door open, after telling the manager my problem he admitted that he knew there was a problem with the door and advised me not to use the lock, just the latch. No extra charge for this upgraded room. The mattress was in poor shape and the sheets were threadbare and bally, but for the price ok. The power outs were continuous and no alternate lights provided. The wifi worked well but with no power the useage was limited. Next day I was supposed to receive a new room. I packed my bags and started my day. I arrived back at my accommodation to be told I was now on the fifth floor in a standard room as I had booked. I hiked up to the fifth floor, there was one room opposite the storage room and next to the garden restaurant rooftop area. The bathroom was wet and filthy and shared with the restaurant, I was told not but when I asked where did the people go to use the toilet that were in the restaurant he said back down to their room. I think not as the bathroom door was open to the public. The room was very dirty, with filth not swept off the floor and the sheets smelt from the previous owner. I reported my discomfort to the manager and he checked the room and said yes there was a problem and he offered me another room of course this time more expensive, I took the room and agreed to the higher price. The room was ok, on the first floor, large and decently clean however the smell from generators premeated within the room and I found that I was getting sick and lightheaded, and at this point after three nights, I decided although it was a very friendly guesthouse, it was not a good choice healthwise. I looked for another guesthouse and checked out. They were surprised i decided to leave. The did admit that they had a generator but limited the use. I can respect their decision but it would be a good suggestion to post the hours for the guests to know this. I barely used the facility at this guest house, however, I must say that the staff was extremely friendly, the location very good. I would not come here again but that is a very personal decision based on my comfort level. Traveling alone as a budget traveller this is a good guesthouse and my suggestion to the management would be to just do a little minor maintenance to ensure the safety and comfort of the guest, and perhaps do a qualtity control once in a while on the cleaning staff upon a checkout room.

Room Tip: bring a towel, not provided, bring a flashlight many powerouts, don't stay on the first floor fu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just return from this guest house after spending several night.....this is my fourth visit and feel good as always....this time stayed at room 303 .....pick up as always at TIA this time face recognition is excellent...welcome board is not required anymore for me.....they just spot me on the spot.....journey from TIA to guest house took less than 30 minutes upon departure it took around 20 minutes. lucky me....overall stayed is cool as always

Room Tip: 203 or 303 room its deluxe
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Called from the Airport, and was quoted 1000 NR for room, plus reimburse Taxi driver. But upon arrival, price was raised to 1100 NR for the room, which was claimed to be a "Deluxe". Well, our "Deluxe Room", had a large hole in the bathroom wall leading to a large dark space that looked like rats could live in there; had a leaky toilet; the common hall bathroom/toilet shared a window into our bathroom that could be seen thru if desired (not to mention sharing the wonderful odors), had a TV that didn't work at all (wouldn't even power on), and no toilet paper was provided. And, the WIFI was spotty and extremely slow. Room wasn't cleaned during our stay. Finally, on nite before check out, the Manager got really 'pushy' about having us use his Travel Agency -- we ignored him. Not a place I could Recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrjustice
Brescia, Italy
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Nice and very kind family, good position far from the too busy center of Thamel. The view from the top roof is wide and clear, breakfast is simple but nice. I enjoyed it and if I would come back to Kathmandu I'll sure return there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo