“Home away from home”

and 1 more site!
Annapurna Guest House
Ranked #62 of 477 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 11, 2012

During our month travel in Nepal we returned 3 times to Kathmandu, also trying other Guesthouses we always came back to Annapurna Guesthouse as it was the best of all we tried.
It has a beautiful roof terrace which makes you feel like sitting in your garden. The owner family is very friendly and always there for you. Rooms are relatively big and available in all varietions, 1-3 people, with or without private bath. The guesthouse is right in the middle of Thamel, however in a small side street so noises wont bother you too much.

Overall it feels like a home away from home.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susanne R

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We booked via email. I've learned now that it's better not to and check the rooms when you're there.
Airport pickup was convenient, that's why we chose AGH.

The room was horrible, dirty beds and bathroom. There was à window between our bathroom and the one next to it and people came watching while we were taking a shower! It were nepali, so I even think it was the hotel staff.
I don't understand how people can write good reviews about it, or they must have different types of rooms (but we paid the highest price).

At night the cockroaches came out! Horrible! We had to sleep with the lights on. Or didn't sleep actually...

Staff was friendly, food was good, but don't book here! There are lots of guesthouses that are very decent at lower prices.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 6, 2012

HOW did I survive five days here?!?!?! You could probably get an eye infection from just looking at the carpet in this place. The rooms are dirty on a whole new level and I can’t even talk about the bathroom: the memories are too painful. The electricity was out for at least ten hours a day which means there’s no wifi (which barely works anyway) and somehow, the power kept going out just as soon as I’d get soaped up in the shower and I’d be stuck in total darkness. Oh- and there’s a huge construction project going on right next door and the super-loud hammering/yelling starts at 5:30am. In case no one’s told you yet, Kathmandu isn’t awesome so go see Swayambhunath Temple and Bodnath Stupa (skip Durbar Square) and get out to Pokhara (or ANYWHERE) as soon as you can.
Pros: hot water, free airport pick-up (if you stay for more than one night) and the staff were pretty nice and helpful (except don’t use their travel guy – his prices are outrageous)

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank expat_mbk
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I’ve chosen A.G.H. because of all good reviews and unfortunately for me it wasn’t so great.

I’ve got in touch over email before my arrival with Manjit (managing director) regarding airport pick up. I’ve been informed that since I've booked two nights, they would provide free airport pick up. I’ve replied with my flight details. When arriving to the airport there was no one waiting for me. I phoned them and they said they didn’t receive my email with flight details. Strange, when all other emails I’ve sent arrived well (I use private emails server, so I know what goes where and when). I’ve sorted my own taxi, no problem.
(My bad that I didn’t request confirmation email and assumed they received my details.)
When I’ve arrived, I heard no more word about airport misunderstanding, silence.

During my check in, I was asked the usual info about my plans and as I didn’t need any assistance with any of my trekking plans, etc. the general staff interest next days was down to zero.
I’ve asked staff about tourist entry fee to Durban square and been told that every time I’ll pass area I have to pay the fee. That's a lie!
(So, here is a TIP to all new to Kathmandu. You only pay once, take your ticket to Main Admin Office inside of square, one passport photo and your passport with visa and they’ll issue small card for the time of your stay. You’ll be able to pass the Durban square for free every time showing your card.)

I was given top room 5th floor, found it bit dirty with few bugs crawling around. I’ve been travelling for almost two years and seen many places, so this wasn’t a big problem for me. I was just disappointed that the reviews didn’t really match what I’ve experienced.
I’ve seen few other rooms at this place and rooms with single beds had really outdated mattress, think double rooms/beds are better value. In general this place needs revamp.

Funnily enough, when I was already checked out and later in a day walked by the A.G.H., I was stopped by Manjit who called out my name and introduced himself for the first time. This tells me that he must have seen me in the guest house, but didn’t say Hello during my stay. Only when I left, he asked me to return and tried to offer me a better deal for me to come back and stay, which is fair enough. The interest was simple, I was looking for a longer term stay in Kathmandu, they knew it, but it was too late.

Fortunately, I only booked two nights and found much nicer, friendlier and cleaner place for cheaper.

I never write such a long reviews, but this one really deserves it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank iLoveMySleep
Reviewed September 10, 2012

-Free pick-up from the airport or the bus station
-Central yet quite location on a Thamel side street
-Clean, cozy and peaceful rooms
-Super-friendly staff, not pushy at all
-Wonderful roof terrace with views over the valley
-Tasty authentic Nepali and Tibetan dishes
-Not bad prices for the service

It's been some time when I visited but after reading other comments it seems things look pretty much the same as before. This would be my definite first stop if I ever flew straight to Kathmandu again which I hope I will sooner or later. Thank you, Manjit and crew.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Annapurna Guest House is the best location in Thamel. I found it is peace location, nice rooms as our demand, cheap price and friendly people around there. Anyone can try once if looking cheap and peace place in Thamel, Kathmandu.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2012

A peaceful, unassuming guest house, near Thamel but off the main street. A great place to base yourself to explore more than just the backpacker scene.

One guidebook described the place as dour, but it's not- humble, yes, but not dour. I was very happy here :)

• Stayed: August 2012