“Good value choice”

Hotel Encounter Nepal
Ranked #28 of 209 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I originally booked for 3 nights but decided that it was good value for money (28USD/day) and extended my stay. I knew several people staying in Kathmandu at the same time and all the others felt it necessary to move hotels. All the staff were helpful and while the breakfast didn't vary much each day it was good. I do not know what the deluxe rooms are like but I met several people staying who were there on extended stays and felt no desire to move.

6  Thank CE778
EncounterNepal, Owner at Hotel Encounter Nepal, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Thank you for writing review and namaste from Hotel Encounter Nepal

Thank you for choosing Hotel Encounter and staying with us, we have a great choice of rooms for all level 3 star hotel like ours, it is hard to get such choice in a 3 star hotel in Kathmandu, convenient with very nice ambiance indoor and our door garden and courtyard for Breakfast, Lunch and dinner. All rooms are nicely decor with all modern facilities.

We will update our service as per your suggestion in the future. Thank you again staying with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed November 19, 2011

This hotel exceeded all my expectations - I would definitely stay here again if I return to Nepal. The room was tastfully furnished and a very good size. The service was impeccable and the staff were very friendly. My room was immaculately CLEAN and the bed was so comfortable and a dream to sleep in.The breakfast was just perfect each morning to get started.The hospitality was outstanding ! Great Accommodation facilities like air conditioners, IDD telephone connection, satellite television, safe deposit lockers, every morning local news paper THE KATHMANDU POST AT ROOM, I never did expected these facilities in a Hotel in Kathmandu. KATHMANDU have no light but they have backup power all the times

Yes! that is true they had big problems because unforseen circumstances, all the domestic flight were cancelled but middle at night THE WONDER Mr.PRAMOD GAJUREL had relocated ours rooms in 4 star Park village Hotel with out charging any extra money and also provided drop and pick up services morning. As I heard many tourists were roaming here and there in search of Hotels in Themel at the mid of the night, alots of Thanks to Mr. Pramod for his help to the Tourist, WONDERFUL JOB!!! I GOT THE ONLY ONE ROBOT IN THE HEART OF KATHMANDU. KEEP IT UP MR. PRAMOD," I will see you and your team very soon."
I would definitely reccomend this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay Midtown and be right in the action but have a feel that is quiet and comfortable. CHEERS!!!

9  Thank Anish D
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Worst. Hotel. Ever. We booked a deluxe room through Agoda, and our card was charged before we left. When we arrived at the hotel the lobby was full of angry guests. Since flights to Pokhara had been cancelled for several days, they allowed all guests to stay, and sent new arrivals with bookings to another hotel more than an hour away. The manager was extremely rude to many guests, yelling at some, ignoring others. When we came back the next day rooms were not cleaned. There is not even a ladies restroom accessible when you wait for your room, they escorted me to a guest room that had not been made up! Rude, filthy, dishonest. Oh, and they can never seem to get a line out on the phone. We travel a lot, and this was the worst experience we ever had.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Nan W
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I do not recommand to book this hotel at all! I booked it way ahead to my trip to Nepal and asked not only for a room but also for airport and also managing my bus ticked to Pokhara. All of this was confirmed and lately reconfirmed few day prior to my arrival. What a surprise that no one was waiting for me at the airport, there was no room available and of course I had to deal with arranging my bus ticked for the next morning upon my late night arrival to Kathmandu.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank Sylvia2321

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for choosing with us and your comments and I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Actually our intention was not that to make your stay inconvenient, the situation was really worse and out of our control during the first week of November due to the domestic flight cancellation as I have answers many reviews below who have same concern. Dear readers I please you to read all the reviews before November 2011, there were over 180 guest has wonderful experience with our hotel.

Next time we will efficiently manage crisis which we had not faced in our biz history. Again thank you for your kind report to aware us.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

I don't recommand this hotel at all.
Rooms are old , bathroom are dirty, no hot water during one full day ,AC was not working ... But this is what you can expect if you get a room ..
We booked 2 nights , got a confirmation but on our arrival , there were no rooms avalilable and we were not the only ones . They transfered us to another hotel ( 3 km away in a suburb without anything around the hotel ) , the day after we eventually got our " room " . We booked a room with terrace ( and we paid more for the terrace ) , of course all rooms with terrace were already occupied . When we complained , because yes we complained , they said that now we should be happy as they finally found us a room . Yes , staff is really rude with all the guests , I mean every time we came to the reception , someone was complaining about something and the message was always the same " pay and be happy with your crappy room " .
Well , do not risk booking this hotel , you will be better anywhere else and with a more polite and caring staff .

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
11  Thank Amy B
EncounterNepal, Owner at Hotel Encounter Nepal, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Dear Guest!

Thanks for the review and comments. I am really sorry for the your experince and it should not happen like that, Yes! that is ture that we were not able to give you the room up on arrival due to the unforseen circumstances, all the domestic flight were cancelled but we had relocated your rooms in 4 star Park village Hotel with out charging any extra pannies and also provided free pick up drop services. Sometime it happen but we managed the crisis and hundreds of guests understood and supportive.

Our staffs can never be pretended rudelly as you have explain, it is not our culture and tradition either we did in the past or we will do in the future, if that the case as a owner I will investigate further. Our Organazation is not established from November 2011, we are greatly doing since 2003 and you can see all the reviews before November 2011, we were highly rated hotel in Kathmandu, We have already deacleared the first week of Nov 2011 is our black week in the history and we have corrected, what we will do then? We will simply transferred cancelled guests and accomodate the booked guest.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

This hotel is a scam. We are regular travellers and had never experienced anything as bad as this. To begin with, it really is a backpackers and not a hotel. It is ridiculously overpriced with stuffy, noisy old rooms and leaking toilets. The hotel staff has got a serious attitude problem. When we arrived we were told they didn't have any rooms as some guests had extended their stay (!!) and we were offered to be taken to another property. We complained we didn't want to stay at another hotel but at 1am, having already paid with nowhere else to go we were forced to accept. We got shuttled to a different hotel in a totally different area, only to be brought back to the Encounter the next day (we lost half a day waiting to be transferred in their shuttle bus). We had paid for a deluxe room and were given a basic room with no chances to get our money back. We saw the same thing happen to other travellers over the next couple of days. "Sir, Ma'am, this not out fault, you understand, guest ask if they can stay extra night because bad weather and now we have no room, sorry..." they were repeating like a mantra to crowds of tired, overbooked guests who were going to fill their otherwise empty properties out of town. When we said we were not happy at all with their management, we were rudely given poor excuses, phony smiles and amused looks. What bothered us most is that they treated us like idiots - the hotel deputy manager, Promod, laughed in our face more than once. He was the most unpleasant person I have ever liaised with. The rest of the hotel staff was no better, completely disorganised and unhelpful. The rooms are horrible. The bathrooms stink. Breakfast was pretty rotten. I would NOT go back to the Encounter Hotel to save my life. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

Room Tip: Haven't seen any decent rooms. They're all dingy, noisy and badly in need of renovations. Bu...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
10  Thank ardenlangdon

Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and I am really sorry to hear about sitiuation you have experinced the first week of November at Hotel Encounter Nepal.

First of all the problem happen due to the domestic flight cancellation, we had to force to check out the existing staying guests which was our big mistakes we had done in our business history, this seems that hotel had accepted over bookings but this is not the case as I have explained in the other reviews respond. Since from the first week of November we do not have such problem and we had efficiently manage as a result we do not have such problem since then.

Dear Guest, unfurtunatelly you have got the wrong room may be and we did have some room problem with water leaking and we were not able to repair in the same day and sorry for the inconvienent caused, if you have reported while you were at the hotel we would refund your money with out any questions regarding on such case and we 100% protect customer's right also If you are in the town and have chance to read this review I personally request to visit hotel get your money back right a way.

We promise and assure the full satisfactions and value of your money and holidays of our every future guests please stay 100% GURANTEE!!!

Reviewed November 13, 2011

I would not recommend this hotel
I stayed there recently and I ended up in pretty bad room ,all this for 84 dollars for 3 nights
I was very disappointed and it was definitely not what I was told
The rooms was very old, the shower broken and the furniture dreadful
You can get much better for the same price in Kathmandu

Room Tip: dont accept a room in the old building
8  Thank jacques g