“Distinctly Average”

Ranked #23 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
“Distinctly Average”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I booked this after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and quite honestly do not understand why they were so glowing. First impressions as I entered the the hotel courtyard nicely laid out with trees for shade and an open terrace restaurant were good. Reception was curteous and welcoming with a choice of beverage. So far so good. I was then approached by Raj and asked to go into his office(Tours). Now I had alredy e-mailed and said I may wish to book something, either a trek or tour ect. Raj's approach was in my view "Hard sell", I say this after a lifetime in various sales positions from showroom to Sales Director. "Hard" sells only ever work on a guest/client/customer once. A more gentle approach especially after i had said I wanted to look at all options would have been better. My booking of a day tour of Kathmandu with car & driver was met with the derogetory remark, "thank you for the small business"? I will say the driver was very good and helpfull on the day tour. On being shown to my room I was dissaponted to say the least. It was very worn and basic. See photo's. To be fair at the price paid it may just qualify as OK. However what I did not see in any other reviews was the mention of the noise levels here. My room 603 over looked the courtyard and some relgious shrine with a bell on it that devotees started to ring from about 5AM every morning! That and the dogs barking in the courtyard and pigeons cooing outside my window meant i did not get a good nights sleep in 3 nights here. Although staff enter the rooms every day to tidy & "clean" they failed to clean the cobweb over the sink with several spider dinners in it. I deliberately did'nt say anything just to see if it would ever be removed. It wasn't. Check if you get this room! The toilet seat was broken and loose. Hot water was at a premium. 2 hot showers out of 7. I also booked an Everest flight for 7.30 am which meant leaving the hotel at 6.30. Despite them knowing and my requesting something? to eat & drink before leaving, the morning staff were dismissive and unhelpfull.

Room Tip: Aviod rooms overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Skinut79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Beijing, China
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The service was prompt and professional. The location is right next to Thamel and is very convenient. Breakfast was great. Room is clean. Wifi (sometimes patchy) but most of the times are reliable. They can also help you arrange with car and driver. They even offered me with reconfirming flight without prompting. Would definitely stay again in this place when im back in Kathmandu.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank tedy g
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed September 8, 2011

This summer was my second time there. It's a lovely hotel with a lovely garden where the hours seem to pass by. Also, it has a somonkin area as well as a non smoking area, which is new in Nepal, as you can smoke practically anywhere. So that is good for everyone.
They also provide with free internet 24 hours.
The hotel is clean, the cleanning ladies clean it as many times you want it in your stay.
I highly recommend this hotel as one of the best in Kathmandu (oh! and it's really close to Thamel, the tourist area, but not right in the middle, which is very nice!)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank 842JessicaE
Salmiyah, Kuwait
Reviewed September 7, 2011

If You are looking for a reasonable budget stay hotel in Thamel, this is fine. Hotel is clean and food is fine. We ordered pasta which my kid didn't like since it didn't have the authentic taste. Mr Sujan (mgr) is very friendly and you can depend on him for right advice. We were fly including my 5 year old kid. According to our experience, I don't recommend anybody to stay near to Thamel area . This place is good only for bachelors who wants to freak out. For family It's better to stay in Kathmandu.
Overall, two nights stay here was fine out of our 1 week nepal stay.
for transportation in nepal, I arranged myself after contacting couple of agents. From Chitwan, Mr Suman of Jungle safari lodge gave me a good package for transportation and loding in Chitwan.

Room Tip: if you stay here, go for one with mountain view if you are not in budget.. If in budget, you can get...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Vijaymenon
DUBAI
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The hotel was in a good location, centre of the city, easy access to different destinations. Staff were gentle and generous. The management was well educated and the hospitality level was awesome!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SAMIR M
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Very nice, friendly and helpfull staff. Excelent management. They are always trying to help. We ended here by luck. We went back to more times. Next time in Nepal, will stay there again. It is not a five starts hotel, but the nice enviroment, makes you fill pleasant.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Ovidio F
Ponferrada, Spain
Reviewed August 20, 2011

It was a pleasure checking what a friend said me before to recomend me this hotel; I had just 3 days to spend in Nepal and everything I needed was solved by the hotel making me enjoy so much of the 3days plan they suggested me. A pleasure to stay in such a familiar and nice hotel in where the staff is so kind, friendly and warm; they attended all our desires in so lovely way. I keep such a endearing memories from there that I think about returning when I can.

Room Tip: Just you can ask for what you exactly want and they understand your preference
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends