“hotelmums home”

Ranked #11 of 203 Hotels in Kathmandu
Beijing, China
“hotelmums home”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Being travelers it is hard to find good hotel but I trusted agoda and booked hotel mums home . I also came to know that it is number one in tripadvisor. Yes my three nights with wife at hotel mums was best in Kathmandu. Room was clean comfortable and breakfast was best

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Davidngix
mumshome, Owner at Hotel Mums Home Pvt Ltd, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Guest
Thanks alot for giving your valued time to review hotel Mums Home in such a great way. We really appreciated it and we promise to keep delivering our high level customer care & hospitality in future.

We hope to see you again in future and Mums Home will be happiest to welcome you in Hotel Mums Home.

Sudarshan Neupane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

The staff here are very friendly, welcoming, and honest. We have no complaints about the room, which was large, air conditioned and clean. The hotel is only 2 mins walk from the heart of thamel, which is the main tourist area. Breakfast is pretty good also.

The downside to this hotel is on subsequent visits we found you could get a better room in thamel for less. Let down by the price, but a great hotel nonetheless.

The hotel has a very straight-talking travel rep called Ram who I would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Ed333255120
mumshome, Owner at Hotel Mums Home Pvt Ltd, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Ed
Thanks for your review on hotel Mums Home. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff were friendly to you, room was really clean, air conditioned work properly, you felt that the location was very good too and the day tours/hiking was best but reading you review I came to know that you felt the price higher. Any one knows that to deliver best hospitality and quality of service hotel must work hard & operation cost get higher. We have challenge to keep up our quality and we rather prefer to deliver quality services then cheaper pricing. This is why we are different! If we were offering same price and same level of services what our competitors do, we would not be most preferred hotel in Kathmandu. Any way thank you so much for taking time to review Mums Home. We will surely think about the issue you raise.If there is any possibility we will revised but price of every single things are getting higher day by day. Specially operating hotel in Kathmandu where electricity supply is hardly for 8 hrs a day( 16 hours power cut !!!) is a challenge. The generators and fuel which we use over 14 hours also obliged us to pricing room as you noted in review. I kindly request you and other guest to understand the situation and our difficulties also.

Once again thanks alot and we were so glad to have you as our guest. You are most welcomed to Mums Home any time.

Best regards
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed at this 'home' from 23/03 to 26/03. After spending 6 nights at 3 different hotels in Nepal, this was our final pitstop. The hotel staff were extremely helpful, caring and served us everyday with a big smile on their faces. I was there with elderly parents and aunt, cousin, my little one and hubby. The day we arrived we ran out of diapers, cousin and i found our way to some local mini markets which had none. Disappointed, we informed Mr Sudharshan of our situation. Knowing that we were a little lost in that area, he requested me to get a ride with his manager to the nearest supermarket. We were extremely touched by their gesture. Free serving of coffee and tea makes it even wonderful for tea lovers like us! . They attended to each and every request of ours immediately. But we didn't know that the biggest surprise waited on the day we left as we requested Mr Sudharshan to arrange our transfer to airport and agreed on a price. Our final day came, so does our transport and when wished good bye to all the staffs, we were informed that its a free ride to the airport!! And even after reaching back home, Mr Sudharshan still texts to enquire about our journey and whether we've reached our homes..!!!! . Wonderful memories of Nepal and this great Hotel lingers on our minds.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank YunaKish
Dear Yuna & sweet family
Thanks for your wonderful review on Hotel Mums Home. We are so glad that you enjoyed you stay at Mums Home. Your words about our staffs, management, hotel's delivery and the family environment have made us excited. We will keep us our hospitable services in coming days too. We hope to see you once again in Nepal & Hotel Mums Home.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Mums Home for 2 nights last week. The hotel staffs are extremely friendly. We were promised that there will be unlimited servings of tea and coffee. At first we quite sceptical about it. We thought the hotel will charge us after a few servings. However we were wrong, we had at least 10 servings of coffee/tea. The staffs never show any sign unhappiness in their face. The coffee and tea were very nice, infact better than most of the restaurant.

The rooms are big and the beds are comfortable. Kathmandu has regular 14hours of blackout everyday. However the hotel has a power generator that provide us power. The aircon really works unlike other hotels. The TV programs really keep us busy in the night.

Highly recommended for everyone who wants to have a comfortable stay in Kathmandu

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank mingsiang
mumshome, Owner at Hotel Mums Home Pvt Ltd, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Guest
what a way to review! We really appreciated your sweet words. Yes Hotel Mums home is different in the crowd of hotels & guest houses. Our principle is to make our guests happy and satisfied.
We want our guest enjoying their stay as in Mum's Home.

We hope you will come back Nepal again & stay Mums Home.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed here with 2 kids and elderly parents. Very friendly staff with nice rooms. Free tea / coffee throughout the day. Clean premises and provides pickup from airport. Very helpful for explaining areas around and places to visit.
Only negative is the approach road is very narrow - but was not a problem even for our 7 seater van which we had booked.
Overall a very comfortable and memorable stay for 3 nights.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Parag K
mumshome, Owner at Hotel Mums Home Pvt Ltd, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Guest
Namaste & season's greetings from Himalayas!
We would like to thank you so much for reviewing hotel Mums Home in such a unique way. We were proud to keep you in mums home & we are now glad to find you very happy staying in in Mums Home.
We will keep our type of service in coming days too. Please remember us in your next travel to Nepal as well.

Best Regards
Rayong, Thailand
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Our experience with the hotel was excellent from the beginning to the end. Booking directly on the hotel website was really easy and considerably cheaper than booking through Agoda or Booking.com. No deposit was required and Mr. Sudarshan responded to our booking promptly. He also told us about the free airport pick-up. The pick-up came as told and everything was great. We were a bit surprised by the narrow alley that the hotel was located on, but we found out later that this fact made Hotel Mums home quiet and peaceful at all time despite the close proximity to Thamel shops.

We were welcomed with a warm greeting by a young, but very professional male receptionist who offered us greeting drinks. We asked him to exchange our big note with some small changes to tip the driver and he happily did so quickly. When we inquired about a trustworthy currency exchange bureau with good rates, he offered to exchange the money for us himself. To be honest, we were reluctant at first, but the rate he offered was better than at the airport, so we agreed. We later found that it was the best rate in all of Thamel!!! We had a meal as soon as we checked in, because we were starving. It was delicious then, because we were starving, but we tried it again and it was just all right. Plain and banana lassi though, were the best in Nepal! The same receptionist also helped us calling our trekking company (They didn't pick up and he had to call 3 different numbers, but he did not appear one bit agitated.) .

We stayed at the hotel for two nights, the night before and after our trek. When we left our luggage with them, they gave us a ticket that need to be present for luggage collection, so we were assured that it would be kept safe. We were in different types of rooms in our two night stays. The first one was without a balcony, but had the most beautiful Nepali decoration, beautiful wooden pillar bed and a naked brick wall. On our second stay, Mr. Sudarshan kindly gave us a free upgrade with a balcony. It was lovely and really spacious, which was great for our repacking after a trek, but to be honest, we liked the decoration of the first room better, it felt more unique and more Nepali (Sorry Mr. Sudarshan. We really appreciate the upgrade though.). The air con and the hot shower were great. For those who complain about electricity, you must understand that this is not the hotel's problem, but the problem of Nepal. We experienced some periods of blackout, of course, but being from a developing country myself, I am well aware that this can happen and when even the posh shopping mall in my country couldn't keep all shops well-lit during a blackout, I did not expect a small hotel in Nepal to be able to keep all air cons running with a generator. I'm really really picky about mattress because of my lower back pain, but the bed was so comfortable. I could not complain. I'm also so picky about pillows that I normally carry my own travelling pillow around, but pillows at Mums home were great, just as I like them to be. The room was also sparkly clean.

The free breakfast offers rather a limited choice of dishes, but you have to keep in mind that this is a hotel with 20 rooms not the Ritz! I think the selection was more than adequate and they all tasted great. I liked the potato dish, although it incorrectly says hash brown. My boyfriend and I had so much breakfast, maybe a bit too much. The chef inside the kitchen was keen to cook up eggs for us and we got them promptly. They were nice and each serving came with two eggs not just a single egg like at most hotels. The highlight though was the curd. We LOVE it !!!!! It was so good!!! You must try it!

The hotel also helped arrange a private car to the airport at a very reasonable rate.

Room Tip: I like the decoration of the first room by the stair case, but if you like spacious room, pick the o...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Naffion
Namaste!
We like to say you thank you so much for your great words you expressed in review. "Every Thing Perfect" is the title of your review ! We feel great that you enjoy our room, location, staff, meals and entire services.
We promise to keep up our hospitable service in coming days!

With best Regards
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Recently stayed at Hotel Mums for two nights. As a solo female traveler, found it safe and comfortable. The staff is pleasant and helpful. My room was large with a comfortable bed and plenty of hot water. Food was okay, on the greasy end. Day tours were arranged with a private driver for a reasonable amount. However, I really wanted to get out of the city for a day or afternoon but was told it was not possible (too far). After chatting with other guests who had hired private tour companies, I learned it was possible. All in all, Hotel Mums is a good basic hotel.

Room Tip: Higher up is always quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Doreen20
mumshome, Owner at Hotel Mums Home Pvt Ltd, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Dorren
Thank you very much for your comments about Hotel Mums Home. It was our great pleasure to have you as our guest at Hotel Mums Home. Personally I was very delighted to meet you and talk. I was the one who suggested Heritage tour. In First Day you had very short time so I tried my best to explore cutural heritage. Second Day, you had only a full day but your expection was to be many places. You either could go Hilly side like Nagarkot or do World heritage sites such as Bhaktapur, Budhanath & pashupatinath. I also checked wether online but the weather was not fair so suggesting Nagarkot was not good as mountain views were not visiable so Bhaktapur was suggested instead. Honestly I did not say that it is impossible to go out of Valley as reviewed. I just wanted to suggest you the best option within your time frame & weather condition. I am so sorry about it and really regreated for not being able to make you satisfied. regarding food, I have already made meting with my kitchen staffs & suggest the kitchen team to improve the food quality.
Finally thanks you so much for speaking so highly about our room, hot shower & staff. As a senior of management I promise you to improve the quality so that you may feel it in your another visit.

Wish you a great Day!