Review of Casino Royale

Casino Royale
Ranked #92 of 190 things to do in Kathmandu
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Casino stands for CASH IN NO OUT.....do not make it a habit. look at your family and do not blow uour m9ney for just a fun of no meaning.

2  Thank Danielanini
All reviews
"yak yeti"
in 4 reviews
in 7 reviews
in 12 reviews
in 7 reviews

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My first thought of casino in nepal was like low grade affair but it turns out that it has fun content.Casino royal is in Yak & Yeti hotel ground floor. Entry is free for Indian but they ask for your nationality proof, choose to go with voter ID card or Passport otherwise they could doubt you to enter.the most common game is roulette, min amount is 100INR. There are slot machines, where you will get 20 coins for 100 INR. There is a stage where live music & dance goes on & the high rich indian fly their money on dancers. There is buffet meal, which is not as per other casino standard. Waiter's & manager services are good.

8  Thank Pankaj7269
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Go with your friends to enjoy the evening and nights at the casino. You will enjoy the dancing troops too along with the wine.

The buffet food is not good, avoid it and go for ordered food and snacks. The place is filled with activities at night.

5  Thank ManishSarraf
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was not sure about going to Casino Royale, there weren't very many reviews, and is low on the list of attractions for KTM. I did not have high expectations. But I was pleasantly surprised. There is a dress code posted outside that said "no half pants." I suppose being a westerner they decided to let me in despite wearing shorts. I guess I added to the diversity of the clientele. I was the only Westerner inside.

Casino Royale is dated. But it's Kathmandu, what do you expect. There are table games and slots. I don't bother with slots. There is baccarate, roulette, and blackjack. I played blackjack with an Indian who was dropping huge sums of money by the way. As the evening wore on, the casino was getting more crowded and popular mostly with Indians and Chinese, Koreans, etc. Despite the small number of reviews, the casino is quite popular.

The currency of play is the Indian Rupee. The minimum blackjack bet is 2 Rupees, and the maximum is 50, so low stakes and high stakes players are at the same table. I loved playing blackjack here, and won money. I found it a relaxing way to get free drinks and have a good time. I live in Saudi Arabia, a very restricted society, so I love places where I can drink booze for free and play low stakes games. There is a free buffet that is just so-so. There were some dance shows going on in the evening.

Contrary to what another poster wrote, there is absolutely not a fully stocked bar at the Casino Royale. I am picky sometimes about alcohol. I love sweet drinks like Bailey's on the rocks and Midori Sour. But here? No way. I also love Mai-Tais and Daiquiri's. But they only serve beer, wine, whiskey, scotch, vodka, and such. So I had to keep it real simple.

While playing blackjack I had beer and wonderfully strong screwdrivers. However no one was coming around asking us what we wanted to drink. I would have to ask casino employees just standing around observing the games. I felt awkward doing this. But they kept the drinks coming.

I loved playing here. We had to be vigilant over the dealer's actions. Occasionally he or she would make a mistake and we had to remind the dealer. It was a relaxed and nonstrict environment. The dealers don't constantly scold players on the correct handsignals and such. For free drinks, low stakes and fun, I could not ask for anything more. I take that back, they don't have poker tables. Oh well, we can't have everything we want can we now? The environment was very hospitable, fun, and relaxed. The casino is open 24 hours. I know people don't come to KTM to gamble. But I was wrong. I met some who do, but they weren't other westerners. I have heard there are other casinos at the Hotel Everest and the Radisson. I think gaming is a fun way to spend time in Kathmandu.

5  Thank desertdiablo
See more reviews
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Let's face it. Kathmandu isn't Vegas or Macau. Gambling is not exactly on top of any traveller's KTM bucket list. However, if you want to blow off some steam in the evening then Casino Royale is a decent place to do it. There are live dances every 20 minutes in case you need a break from the limited tables that operate and a fully equipped bar to help you forget about all the money that you are losing.
Staff here are helpful and refreshingly relaxed about the way you play blackjack or roulette. They are not strict about punters putting their hands on the chips or messing up the hand signals and stuff like that. This is Kathmandu after all, where everything isn't quite up to standard.
Casino Royale is small and there isn't a big variety of games to play. However, you can always sit back and enjoy the classics as long as you able to put up with unpleasant Indians smoking next to you.

2  Thank geelongexpat