“Awesome days in Thamel Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Thamel

Hotel Thamel
Ranked #52 of 194 Hotels in Kathmandu
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Awesome days in Thamel Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

The hotel staffs were very friendly and the amenities provided were good enough. Suggest to get a tour arranged by the hotel itself as the tour provided is safe and convenient. Bravo to Thamel Hotel. Location of the hotel is good; around Thamel area where lots of bazaars available.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with balcony
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

a while ago we stayed 10 days in this clean and confortable hotel. We have enjoyed it a lot! It has a perfect location, the room are good and the service is the best. The staff was just great. They were helpfull and super friendly. The hotelmanager arranged some trips for us and showed us around thamel. nice nepali tea.
if we would hopefully visit kathmandu again, I know were we would stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

If you are going to Nepal and staying in Thamel, go to Hotel Thamel. I have stayed at other places and there isn't a better place for the people, price and location. The hotel is in Thamel but off the main road which means it is quiet in the daytime. There are shops around the corner for SIM cards or recharging your phone. If you go the opposite direction, there is shopping galore (if you are into that) and a good general grocery store about five or ten minutes walk from the hotel. Getting a taxi or rickshaw is convenient. I check with the desk for a estimate of the right price to pay for either mode of transport. Haggling the price is a ritual. Knowing what is the right price makes the process less stressful and maybe a little fun.

And the hotel itself has a nice home feel, not all like the plastic stuff that is typical in the US. They have a hotel-generator for the times the power-shedding kicks in. The rooms I have stayed in are always clean with fresh linen daily. The rates are good and most important, the people are very, very nice. I have stayed here for three times now, and each time has been excellent. I travel alone but have local friends to help me while traveling in the country. The first time in Nepal, I wanted to plan everything out in advance. Now, I go with a general plan and rely on the expertise of the manager, Anish, to sort out places to stay and how to get there. Sometimes it is better to get a driver, other times its better to fly. If I find out something noteworthy for Anish, I pass it on too. He can arrange anything. I definitely take advantage of the included breakfast with the room. The guys in the restaurant work hard to get folks in and out for their trips or just keep the coffee or tea going if the morning is made for leisure.

Everyone, from the guy at the door, the drivers, the housekeeping staff and, of course, the front desk folks are cordial, and go out of their way to help us travelers. For the times I have planned to be gone from the hotel for a while and save some money, I was able to keep my luggage securely stored there at the hotel until I returned. I have also kept the room while gone and have no concerns about the safety of my belongings in the room while gone. I am more comfortable in this hotel than I am at any local (US) hotels. The people working at Hotel Thamel care about the people visiting Nepal and staying at their hotel. Their smiles are really from their heart. It shows. I will always stay at Hotel Thamel when I am in Nepal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have been to Nepal Twice this year and have on both occasions stayed at Hotel Thamel. 1st was with a group. We had booked the hotel at late notice and was informed that the management will be able to organise our 5 day trip once there. The 5 days was packed with everything we could have done in 5 days, bungy jump, canyon swing, monkey temple and Everest flight..Transit to and from all the major tourist attractions within a moments notice. The Hotel is situated just off the main street of Thamel, away from the hustle n bustle but Literally 2-3 mins walk you are in the heart of it all. The rooms are very clean comfortable and spacious. Staff are awesome. Made me feel like i have been going for years, prematurely as we/i will only stay at Thamel Hotel in future:-) Great Hotel, Awesome staff, convenient location and will be going again Jan 2013.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both single and double on both sides of Hotel and have no issue to mentioned regard...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Refit B
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

I really liked this Hotel, it is located in the very center of the Thamel area, everything is really close by. The service and staff is great, they treat you very nicely and are eager to help. I would undoubtably return to this hotel. They even helped me plan all of my everest trek.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Thamel on two separate trips to Nepal - Oct. 2010 and Feb 2011. I had a great experience each time.

Everyone who works at the hotel is very friendly and accommodating. If you need help with anything - arranging a taxi, planning a trek, etc. the staff is very willing to help. You can also arrange pickup from the airport ahead of time. It was nice arriving in Nepal at the airport and knowing there would be a ride waiting for me.

The rooms are comfortable, clean, and quiet. Modern toilets, too (I was a little worried the toilets would be squat-style). I also enjoyed the attached restaurant where you can get a nice meal for a small price.

And the location is good, too, in the heart of Thamel. You'll have access to many shops, restaurants, internet cafes, and trekking services. Although the hotel is located in a busy area, it is tucked away a bit from the hustle and bustle so you never have problems resting and relaxing inside your room.

I don't know the next time I will return to Kathmandu, but when I do, I will only book a stay at Thamel Hotel. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

The main advantage of Thamel hotel is its location: as the name says, it is in the busy Thamel district, full of shops, cafes, restaurants and tourists (which means if you are looking for the 'true' Nepal, don't book this hotel). Yet, it is surprisingly quiet. The rooms are more than basic, but it seems to be a standard of majority of Kathmandu hotels I have visited; anyway the price/quality ratio is OK. The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo