“An experience I still can't wrap my brain around!”
Review of The Crematoria

The Crematoria
Ranked #13 of 178 things to do in Kathmandu
Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“An experience I still can't wrap my brain around!”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I don't think I would go here two times but the one time was a must! WOW! Interesting to learn about other cultures and this was certainly no exception!!!!

Visited April 2014

1,772 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,658 helpful votes
“Memorable”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is Pashupatinath Temple and the sights you see here will stay in your mind for a long time after you have left. Death and grieving are on display in a way very different to western culture. You might feel slightly uncomfortable watching the events going on here. It is almost factory like with its efficiency. A body takes 3 hours to burn and they get through about 30 per day. You will see grieving families washing bodies in the Bagmati River. People draped in white or gold robes. It is all very symbolic. Have respect and don't get too close with your cameras and keep quiet. Tourists watch from the opposite side of the river. Sadhus or Holy Men in all their Technicolour glory will pose for photos if given 15Rs.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Jolyon67
Vancouver, Canada
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“A very different experience”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

So, this was a very ... different ... experience, and it's not for everyone. The smell of the smoke stayed in my hair/clothes after (but, so does everything in Kathmandu).
You could watch the rituals taking place before the cremations. It was a bit strange to watch people's grief as a tourist attraction, and I therefore refrained from taking pictures.
None the less, it's a very interesting thing to see if you are not from a Hindu country.
I still felt weird about watching this, but I think most people from countries where bodies are not publicly burned would feel weird about this.

I'd be very interested to know how the families feel about tourists coming here for a cultural experience.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank smfische
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Check First”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We visited this UNESCO World Heritage site as a part of a day tour when we first arrived in Kathmandu. We valued the cultural ritual of this ancient site but were unprepared for the open grief and confronting scenes we were privy to. Ask your tour guide if it is on the tour and perhaps read a little about it before going there. We were so wrapped up in our pending EBC trek that we had not given this site too much thought. I was haunted by the young woman who had lost her husband and her grief stricken cries. So public yet so very personal.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank 381Valj61
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“The cycle of life”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The timeless ritual of farewell, ashes to ashes and return to the waters of life. Take the time to watch and reflect......

Visited March 2014