“Wonderful Guest House!”

Ranked #9 of 433 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Wonderful Guest House!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I absolutely loved staying at this guest house in Boudha (Kathmandu). It was a serene place to stay in the midst of the typical chaos of Kathmandu. There is a beautiful courtyard as well as a beautiful interior. I was thrilled to find a library of books left by previous guests. This was helpful since I had left my Lonely Planet on the plane!

The manager, Ramu, and staff were always incredibly helpful. The food from the cafe was some of the best I had in Nepal! If I could review that separately, I would! It is very close to the stupa, one of the most holy places for Buddhists, and I really enjoyed going there in the mornings and evenings to soak up the awesome energy.

Traveling as a solo female, I always felt safe at this place, especially with a second floor room.

The ROKPA organization is doing great work and by staying here, you help support the Children's Home and Women's Workshop next door.

I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank oracle_blue
Ramu2013, Manager at Rokpa Guest House, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for your time to share your experience at ROKPA Guest House,Our entire team is very happy to see your such a nice comment.We are glad you enjoyed your stay at ROKPA Guest House.We are looking forward to welcome you and your guest at ROKPA Guest House.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I recently stayed at the Rokpa Guesthouse for a month and had a great experience. The entire staff was excellent and went above and beyond what I expected. They were extremely pleasant and even helped me accomplish things during business trip there that I wouldn't normally expect from the staff of a guesthouse/hotel. The food at the guesthouse was also excellent and was as good as or better then the food from the local restaurants. Because of this, I ate a majority of my meals at the guesthouse despite there being some good restaurants in that area.

Overall, it is a great place to stay and I have no complaints.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ramu2013, Manager at Rokpa Guest House, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Mr.Trevor,

Thank you for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your comments on our services and food quality as well as food.
We are very pleased we are able to give you better service beyond your expectation.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at ROKPA Guest House.
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed April 25, 2014

First of all apologies for the delay in writing this, I stayed in Rokpa Guest House in March this year. I have never been to Nepal before so I was looking for a quiet, clean place to stay for my 2 weeks in Kathmandu.

I was so impressed with the friendliness of all the staff there but also the way they made me feel at home, they really couldn't have been more helpful.

The rooms were basic but clean and spacious and the garden more than made up for not having the luxuries that you might be used to in other countries.

The guest house was close to restaurants and the famous bodnath stupa. My personal favourite restaurant was Flavor's beside the stupa itself.

All in all a great 2 weeks and a place I hope to return to!

Thanks

Marie :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mariekennedy08
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We didn't stay here, wish we had! They've just redecorated and the rooms are beautiful and very reasonable. We had lunch in their garden which was exquisite. We had a tour of the Childrens' Home which this hotel supports and what a happy place it was. They help school, feed and love these kids who can go on to help in the Guesthouse or Restaurant when they get older. There is also a Fairtrade Women's Workshop that you can visit and buy some beautiful gifts. They also do a soup kitchen each winter to help the poor of Kathmandu survive. This place is a must if visiting Kathmandu, it's in a safe area very near to the greatest Stupa Boudha, forget Thamel this is the place to be!

Room Tip: There are some lovely deluxe rooms if you want to treat yourself.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dehradun, India
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have long since outgrown backpacker Kathmandu, but continue to come every year. So I have stayed in a number of nice guest houses with great staff. ROKPA has set the bar a bit higher these days. It has all the requirements, location, staff, hot water, wi fi.
Add to that you have the best coffee in Boudha and terrific food served in their hidden away garden.
Staying a long stay has been wonderful to have a quite place to return too in the evening.
Cannot recommend it enough and the garden awaits you.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I can highly recommend this Guest House for anyone, who wants to stay in a quiet and peacefull place.
The garden is wonderful and we enjoyed every morning sitting there for the very delicious breakfast!
The rooms are comfortable, the shower is hot and most importantly the staff is very friendly and let's you feel very much welcome.
Finally the work that ROKPA (www.rokpa.org) is doing to help less fortunate people around the globe looks very good and trustworthy and so you are contributing to it with a stay at their guest house. Wonderful!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Qatar
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was our sixth visit to Nepal, (we come every year), and we had yet to find a place that we would return to. However, I can now say Rokpa is the one. The staff, particularly Ramu and Jimke, are very friendly and helpful, our room was very spacious and clean, the garden is a real oasis and the location is great, being so near to Boudhanath Stupa.

The reason we chose Rokpa was because the profits go towards running the children's home and women's workshop next door. We met some of the children, who were amazing, and we bought some lovely handicrafts - although there was never any pressure to buy. Each of the rooms is named after a child that has lived at the home, and there are certainly some incredible stories. It's great to be able to help such great causes, but we would still stay at Rokpa even if the charitable side did not exist.

We look forward to returning next year. One small tip would be to make sure that you have the phone number of the guesthouse when you arrive, as none of the taxi drivers we went with seemed to be able to find it.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite as we had many bags with us. This was very good value and overlooked the garde...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ramu2013, Manager at Rokpa Guest House, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for your time to write such a nice review,We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at ROKPA Guest House.Yes ROKPA is a charity organization and guest house is a part of this organization,Profit which we earn from Guest House goes for ROKPA Children's(Orphan) home, which is next to the Guest House.We are looking forward to welcome you back at ROKPA Guest House in near future.

Ramu