“Great Flavours”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Friends, Kathmandu

Friends, Kathmandu
Ranked #48 of 717 Restaurants in Kathmandu
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: For mouth watering imported steaks, steak shislik, vegan foods, vegeterians, hummus, gnocchi, pizzas, vegab burger, pumpkin patties, tahini, some of the best juicy burgers in town with all the sides, and a selection of salads, soups, and Nepali classics come visit Friends Restaurant situated in the quiet heart of Mandala Lane, Thamel. We also have a selection of vegetarian options and our menu to available in Mandarin for Chinese visitors and residents.With a warm comfortable atmosphere, we provide fast free wifi, excellent coffees with table dining or cosy couches to curl up and enjoy your meal. And if leaving your guesthouse or home is just a bit much after trekking, a long day sight seeing around Kathmandu or a busy day at the office we also deliver.For those of you who love wine we have an extensive list of imported French and Italian classics, available by the glass or bottle, to soothe the rough edges of any day. We also have a great selection of cocktails to get any evening out to a great start!
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Flavours”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed two meals at friends. The staff were friendly and the dishes were very well prepared. The chicken schnitzel, steak shislik, and lamb tajine (spelling?) were all tasty.

Visited December 2013
niek g, Manager at Friends, Kathmandu, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Thank you very much. We are glad we could make you happy. And enjoyed the food

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
“An unfortunate meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I ate here a few days ago, excited at having the vegetarian tagine. It was very disappointing, the tofu seemed to be old and to have gone off (having a bitter, vinegary taste), and the base was a sort of gelatinous mushroom gravy. Having been to Morocco many times, I can say that it didn't taste anything like I had expected. I doubt I even finished half, and only that because I was hungry. I was also told that it could come with my choice of rice or baked potato, of which I chose the latter, but it never came. The popcorn that was served while I waited was completely unfresh, and I gave up after a few bites. The waiter was apologetic and offered a 10% discount, which I used to buy a falafel down the road.

I must also say that the restaurant has the most uncomfortable seating I have come across in all of Nepal (including simple guesthouses when trekking), straight-backed wooden chairs and lumpy, hard cushions. I suppose I should have used my judgment to not eat there upon seeing the place nearly empty.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jonathan M
We are really sorry to hear that you had an unfortunate experience with us.
But thank you for writing this. We can work with this and make things better.
Haifa, Israel
“Very delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Delicious food, fine service, good menu in my opinion. I do not eat meat but my friend ate a burger and hummus with meat and said everything was delicious, Good atmosphere, good music, definitely worth a taste

Thank you very much.....
We are happy that you enjoyed it so much
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“They've Nailed It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Atmosphere, music, decor, furniture, food ... just perfect. Menu is excellent. Hummus and lamb out of the world and a great idea.

• Visited November 2013
niek g, Manager at Friends, Kathmandu, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you.....
That makes us happy to hear that :-)
Melbourne, Australia
“Delicious Meat Dishes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have eaten several of the meat dishes here over the past few months, since my previous review of friends and they have all been great. The steak shaslik, Mongolian hot pot and the hummus with lamb are great meals. I was disappointed with the chicken sausage as it appears to be just the local frozen sausage you can buy in any freezer in KTM. However, the sauce that accompanies it is divine. Service is fine. I like that groups can pay individually with the manager. The prices are appropriate for Kathmandu as well. Friends is a new restaurant so it can be sparse, but this means you can always get a seat. Hopefully this changes as Friends is delight in Thamel.

• Visited November 2013
It's very nice to hear that you enjoyed having dinner in Friends several times. Hope to see you back again soon.