“Walking Tour”

Welcome To My Yard
Ranked #167 of 713 Tours in Kathmandu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Amongst these bustling lanes lies the real magic of Kathmandu. Gods and Goddesses, Kings, Ceremonies and rituals, the shop keepers, musicians and the beautifully diverse communities whose thousands of tales are woven into the fabric of this incredible mze of houses, shops, temples and markets Welcome To My Yard's City Walk is an exciting not for profit tour where you will experience the the history, culture and communities of ancient and modern Nepal. Take part in an amazing City Walk with WTMY and you will also be donating to a great cause by directly helping street young people to save for their futures and by supporting WTMY to run and centre and programmes for street children and young people in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New Zealand
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Walking Tour”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Walking tour of the Thamel and surrounding areas. Ambika knows her stuff and is very informative. We took the 1.5 hour tour which we had to postpone the previous rain due to rain, fortunately enough they were able to accommodate. We booked this tour after having done another tour 2 days prior and really only saw a couple of new things.
When I was emailed a quote of the tour I was told children 9 and under were free so it was only 1000Rs per adult, but then the tour guide informed us that we had to actually pay for the 9 year old.
Make sure if you take the tour to clarify this!. Also, they don't take you back to the starting point, so we had to find our way back through the busy streets and after stopping and asking a couple of police officers we found our way to Thamel.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Peter R
Raymond R, Owner at Welcome To My Yard, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Hi Peter R,

Thank you for your review. I know I responded to your review directly on email but I wanted to respond here so others can see. I do apologies for the confusion on the quote and it is correct that 9 years and under are free. It was the first week of our new guide and it is our fault that the information was not passed on correctly to her but this is now rectified. I am more than happy to bank transfer this cost over to you if you reply back to my email with your bank details.

Thank you also for your feedback on not returning to the starting location, we will review this as a team and consider this.

Thank you so much again for taking time to review us and sincerely apologies again for not delivering our usual 200% quality tours.

Raymond R
Welcome To My Yard
Director

• Korean first
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
“Insightful and enjoyable”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Guided by dedicated and professional guide, Ambika, this 3 hours walk are just simply enjoyable and insightful. This walk will let you have a glimpse of Nepalese daily life and gain understanding of the religious and cultural history. Highly recommend to anyone who plan to visit Kathamandu, you should not miss it!

Visited August 2014
Durham, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent Walking Tour”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This was a fantastic walking tour. Sumit (the guide) was extremely knowledgeable and showed us a completely different side to Kathmandu from the touristy Thamel (which gets old after about 3 or 4 days). His english is perfect and he took us to some really neat spots, always explaining the history of the street or the backstory of the hindu gods and goddesses at the hidden temples we stopped in at. Really great program he has with the street youth too, they are all provided with savings accounts for the future and classes to prepare them for the future. Definitely worth the money, wish I could have gone on the 3 hour version!

Visited June 2014
Tucson, AZ
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Interesting tour”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I took this tour with my two children, ages 15 and 11. I took the 1.5 hour version. Unless you know a local Nepali, there is no way you can navigate through Kathmandu and see the sights as presented by the guide (his name is Sumit). He speaks English well and seems to enjoy himself. I only wish I had taken this tour on the first day, instead of the last. My 11 year son did get tired but my 15 year old tolerated it well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. To give a flavor of what you see: hidden temples, a stupa, a monastery, a bead market, the Durbar, and finally, the heady mix of everyday Kathmandu life. Wear comfortable shoes. Bring a camera.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank SandmanTucson
Somerset, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Welcome to my Yard”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Brilliant walk about tour discover Thamel's hidden gems - where to go if you have tooth ache !!
Excellent tour guide accompanied by street child who was learning to be a guide speaks very good English
Highly reccommend this tour wish I had taken it on arrival not a week later
Very good cause and your your small fee goes to help the street children of Kathmandu

Visited March 2014