“really huge prawns!!”

Royal Penguin Restaurant
Ranked #160 of 811 Restaurants in Kathmandu
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai, Nepali
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: International menu with more than 200 incredibly delicious recipes.You can have breakfast in the evening, or dinner in the morning – only you decide what you eat, or when, or how much.You can order a half portion of any dish.We cook your food exactly the way you want, removing or adding ingredients of your choice.You can take away any dish.Our freshly squeezed juices contain nothing but freshly squeezed juices!Royal Penguin restaurant welcomes you with exclusive european-grade interior and unique installations from South Korea and Singapore.You can have a table in one of our halls: beautiful Teak Root Hall, or warm Everest Hall, or bright Sunset Hall, or fresh-air Summit HallYou can book a table by the phoneThe entire restaurant is non-smoking area. With us you can always enjoy both delicious food and fresh air.AC is always on – to make you warm in chilly winter and make you fresh and cool in hot summerFree WIFI from 2 dedicated linesElectricity is always on.
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I lived in Royal Penguin Boutique Hotel
and I would also like to say about the Royal Penguin restaurant .
The interior seemed stylish and chic. I expected that the food here is very expensive, but then I turned out that the prices are the same as in other good restaurants in Thamel.
I ordered Tiger Prawn Cocktail, with huge and meaty shrimp - they are served with garlic mayonnaise sauce. Very tasty! I did not expect to find good seafood- salad in Nepal. The prawns were really huge.

I did not have to try the other dishes in this restaurant, because do not have the time.
This is non-smoking restaurant. I like it, because I dont smoke, and my friend had to go out for smoke.
Of the cons-the restaurant was very quiet. I'm a meloman and I would like to listern at least soft music in the restaurant .It makes tha place more cozy.

2  Thank Vika A
RoyalPenguin, General Manager at Royal Penguin Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Vika!

It's our pleasure to see such a wonderfu revie, as well as accomodate you.
Thank you for the advice about music. Now we added very light misic so our guest can feel more comfortable. We hope your next visit you wll enjoy both the food and the light relaxing misuc.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

The food was very tasty. I'm a fan of mashed potato. So here I found the best one in Thamel. Potato puree was soft and smooth, so I ate tons of it here. Steakes and fish were very delicious as well. In general the place is very cozy and comfortable, staff is helpful and friendly. It's completely smoke-free and that is a huge advantage, especially if you travel with children.

1  Thank Jane O

Dear Jane!

It's so nice to know that you enjoyed the meals in our retaurant.
We are happy to invite you to visit us again to taste other dishes, or to serve your favourite mashed potato.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Highly recommend this place to anyone. I tried the steak and some salads- the steak was cooked the way I liked it most of all – not too fried and not too raw, out of very tender meet. The service is one of the best I met in Nepal. The waiters are attentive and friendly just they way it should be.
They also have a big choice of desserts there. I tried baked stuffed apples – it was amazing, I couldn’t leave without ordering one more portion. In other restaurants I didn’t see that dessert for some reason.
Espresso and latte was great too, they use some high-quality western coffee beans for making coffee but not local.
The food is not supercheap but affordable – its like 7 dollars for a big nice dish. Well, you don’t wanna expect anything great from very cheap places.
Also loved the atmosphere there. Nice music, beautiful and unusual tables and halls – looks like something unreal yet very cozy. And its new and clean.
Check this place out if you long for some great homelike food.

3  Thank Maya005

Dear Maya!

Thank you so much for your review.
We are happy to know that you enjoyed our meals and the atmosphere.
We are looking forward to see you again.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The restaurant has several halls, each with unique design and lighting. My favorite was with shiny root tables. I also liked the orange table near the aquarium with white and red fish. It is very cheerful and relaxing to watch them.

The menu is very impressive. It is like a thick book with plenty of pictures, many unusual recipes – western and chinese. It's a pity that time a part of the dishes was not available coz the restaurant was still in the opening process. So I couldn’t order chocolate fondue but the stuffed apple with berries and condensed milk was the best I ever tried. Tom yam soup and chicken with baby corn are very tasty.

All restaurant is completely smoke-free, no noisy music - very comfortable.

The prices are in the middle range for Thamel.

They bring bills in a wooden big-eared fish carved by local artists – very funny and cute.

2  Thank Ju_Travel

Dear Ju!

Thank you for your review about our restaurant.
We are happy to inform you that now all menu is in operation, and now all dishes are available.
Our fishes are doing good and are also waiting for your return.

Warm regards, Royal Penguin Boutique Hotel team

Reviewed January 29, 2013

1) Design is fantastic. It's unforgettable. 3 or 4 halls with different design, but my favorite - with tables and chairs made from roots of wood. Never had this experience before. Very beautiful lights of different colors and sorts. And no loud music... I'm tired of noise so for me it's very important to have an opportunity just to seat and speak with my friends without boring melodies.
2) I was here at January, and everywhere is cold in hotels, so it was so great that they have AC with heater there. It's warm, clear and quite. Nice. In summer time, I think, it will be chilly and cool.
3) And - great menu. It takes 2-3 minutes just investigate it:) Many unusual dishes. Chinese, Indian and western kitchen. As to me - it was very tasty, and i like that they have some recipes which I never found before.

Overall - it's great.

And yes: they can serve breakfast anytime, even late evening! I like this.
Open up to midnight.
I like the "Root hall" on the 1 floor, bur I recommend you to visit the second floor of restaurant with some cosmic design and there is unusual and pleasant view to the sky through the glass ceiling.

2  Thank Andy P
RoyalPenguin, Owner at Royal Penguin Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your gorgeous review.

When you visit us next time, we can offer some thai food dishes as well, and also you are welcome to visit us on Valentine's day with a special menu.

Hope to see you again in our restaurant!

Royal Penguin Hotel team