“Prefect stay”

Ranked #33 of 196 Hotels in Kathmandu
London, United Kingdom
“Prefect stay”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Gaju suite Hotel made my stay truly memorable. All I needed after my trek was a huge bed with good matress, heater, wifi and 24 hrs electricity. And Gaju suite Hotel fulfilled all my needs. The restaurant played good live music,food was good and the bar was fancy.The room was very cozy, I will return back to this very hotel when I visit Nepal for my Everest Expedition.

With regards
Moyes

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MoyesAlways

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Another glorious stay at the Gaju… When i went to visit last year the hotel’s restaurant was not open yet. My first choice when choosing a hotel was the Gaju because of the hospitality and great rooms I encountered the last time and I really wanted to check out their new restaurant!
I was not disappointed, Restaurant was beautiful, food was great, it s crazy that such an awesome place is like this in this city!!! I was a bit worried about the noise pollution that I’ve read from previous posts but I had no problem at all. I slept great!
Thanks to the Management for making my trips to Nepal an experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hellokittyninja
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here for our last few nights on Kathmandu, specifically over the New Years. We found it to be very spacious and in a quieter part of Thamel than others that we had stayed in. Reading some other reviews I'd agree its a bit different having the hotel itself on levels three and four, and having the restraunt on level five. Still. Not really an issue I found. The staff were very friendly and helpful and organised a complimentary taxi to the airport on our leaving. Very nice experience. Thanks

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank James H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for four nights. We booked for a deluxe room and they upgraded us to the suite room. The suite is spacious, clean and has the basic ammenities. It also has a microwave, kitchen stove, refrigerator and a hot pot. However no utensils or dishes provided. Since we don't intend to cook so the microwave was suffice for us.They got good hot shower supply in the room but the water pressure is very low. Not sure if it is just that particular room that has low water pressure. Breakfast is served in the lounge on the top floor. Basic breakfast selection but acceptable. The front desk crew were friendly and helpful all the way. The servers at the restaurant were als friendly and corteous.
Overall we had a pleasant stay.
Thamel Marg is very crowded area, has lots of narrow streets and alleys, dusty and crazy traffic. You'll hear cars and bikes honking at everybody and anybody constantly. That is the adventure and excitement of this place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NoomieT
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We spent three nights at Gaju and found the experience average for the price we paid.

The good things:

We traveled as a family, and had requested for an additional bed in one of our rooms at the time of booking. Since there was no space for an additional bed in the standard room, we were upgraded to a suite thanks to Ram. Both rooms (standard and suite) are clean and compact. Beds are comfortable and heating facilities good. The live band performances (in the restaurant on the fifth floor) were mostly good, and hence we did not mind the noise much.

The food at the Reef restaurant was very good. Twice, out of our three nights at Gaju, we chose to have our dinner here. It is not part of Gaju, but the guests get a 15% discount on the bill.

The not-so-good things:

The hotel is located in the crowded Thamel area. Also, it is very difficult to locate the place. We arrived at 11.30 pm and it took us more than half an hour to find the hotel even though we were on the same road.

The flush in our bathroom was not working. We had to complain about it atleast once every day. Also, the plumber could only come in the morning, so any such issues at night could not be resolved.

We had to go down to the reception each time we wanted to call our taxi driver, as calls could not be connected to our rooms.

You could possibly get a better hotel for the same price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank KarthikTS
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I was a bit surprised by the so high ranking of this hotel at tripadvisor.

I checked in at 1200 midnight. This "hotel" is not the usual kind that occupies the whole building, but rather the 3rd and 4th floors of a commercial complex. Some men were hanging out at the entrance upon my arrival and it's dim at the "lobby". I was a bit scared.

My room is a suite, with kitchenette, twin bedroom, dinning room. There are microwave, fridge but no cooking utensils cutleries so making kitchenette meaningless. No one told me where I could get them. Anyway I did not ever think of cooking myself so that's not a problem to me. Room very spacious. Not so clean, just acceptable.

There is noise problem as other reviewers already pointed out. My room is on 4/F and there is live band or karaoke on 5/F. Music and songs were around until 1am midnight (my stay is on Christmas Eve and probably finish 1 or 2 hour earlier during usual days). AND more, the ceiling/floor is thin. I was from time to time threathened by the sudden sound from the upper floor eg furniture removing, things dropping onto the floor etc. The sound is so loud just like it's happening inside my room. After the first night when I had been trained of what that kind of noise was used to be, and I was too exhausted during daytime, I could have a good sleep on the second night though the noise issue had not improved.

Overall, I did see so many options in Thamel area and I do not recommend this "hotel". But frankly, I do not recommend staying in Thamel at all, for it's messy dirty with crazy dangerous traffic. Wearing face mask is a must, no kidding, or you will just be a human vacuum cleaner sucking tons of dust and dirt everyday.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank MissHK2009
George Town, Malaysia
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Arrived 2.30pm 29.12.2013 and was told no room available although I booked & paid Agoda months in advance. The staff was dismissive & ushered me to the next hotel which was worse! Was shown to a dark damp ?standard room instead. I told them that's not the kind of hotel room I paid for and was immediately brought to a ?suite, I assumed because this was definitely larger cleaner & well painted.
I can only give a bad review to this booking and distrust the star ranking of Gaju Suite (versus my excellent stay in Ambassador Garden Home).
Let this bad review be a lesson to all hoteliers to be honest and accountable to clients.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo