“GREAT PLACE!!”

Shambaling Boutique Hotel
Ranked #4 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Great place, great service, so nice to have western amenities after a week trekking in the Himalayas.
- They sent someone to meet me as I wandered the Boudha Stupa on foot. It was so nice because I had bags and trying to find them in a town with no street signs would have proven challenging.
- The room was AMAZING!! Clean, calming, beautiful, large with a fabulous bed. The A/C worked and I was able to sleep comfortably for the first time in weeks!
- The bathroom was clean, the shower delightful
- The food at the restaurant was delicious
- The staff - amazingly helpful, very courteous
- I got an in-room massage and it was divine! Highly recommended!
- Yeah to free Wi-Fi!!
- It's a little off the beaten path in that it's about a 5-10 min walk from the Boudha Stupa, but with directions, easy enough to navigate

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Yvonne G
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to write about your experience at Shambling and your positive feedback. The entire team is very happy to know that you enjoyed you stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you at Shambaling in near future.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

I was ready to love this hotel after reading the positive reviews here. It is a pleasant hotel with quality furnishings and the staff are friendly. My room on the top floor was large and clean, but had a strong odour of gas or sewage. I could have requested to change rooms - so that's a minor complaint.

The most unfortunate thing about my stay was that a bag went missing from my room. I was staying at the hotel for a week, but decided go away to Nagarkot for one night. Rather than packing up and checking out, I left my big suitcase and big toiletries bag which also had some jewellery in the front pocket, in the room, and told the reception that i was going away for one night (i had already paid for the whole week). I just took a small ziplock bag of toiletries with me, and an overnight bag of clothes. When I returned the next day the large toiletries bag (with jewellery) was no longer in the room.

"Why didn't you leave it in the safe?", I hear you ask.... Well, there wasn't a safe in the room, just lockers downstairs, and it wouldn't have been practical for me to leave my toiletries there, or the earrings and jewellery that I use everyday. None of the individual items were extremely valuable, but they added up to a significant amount and some had sentimental value

To be fair, the hotel supported me in reporting it to the police - but I was unable to get any resolution and have never received a police report, or even a letter from the hotel acknowledging that I made the report to them about the bag (not that it was stolen, but at least noting that I had reported it missing). Understandably, the hotel didn't want to accept any responsibility for the bag having gone missing and persistently suggested that I had left it elsewhere, which I am 100% certain that I didn't. It's possible that someone from outside broke in, as the bathroom window didn't have a lock - the toiletries bag was in the bathroom.

I am trying very hard to be fair here, as I think the staff are generally very nice (this is partly why it has taken me a long time to decide to write this review), but also want to be honest about my experience. I hope that some answers have been found about this issue, and also that no other similar incidents have occurred since - I'm sure they haven't. I do wish success for this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I am happy to know that you liked our Hotel and our services and staffs. I wish you had informed us about the odour in your room during your stay with us, we would have changed your room immediately so you would not have to go through the inconvenience.

It was our pleasure to be able to help you report regarding your missing toiletries bag with the Nepal tourist police as well as the local area police. We also requested the local police for a quick investigation and wanted to have the report you wanted as soon as possible, however due to the many pending cases before your case, its taking longer than expected. As we had informed you before leaving that it will take time, we have followed up with the police after you left as well but did not get any response.

As you have mentioned that someone might have broken in through the toilet window, it’s very unlikely that someone could climb up four floors without any support from outside on a straight wall.

We strictly investigated with our House Keeping staffs who were on duty for the first three days you were here prior to leaving for Nagarkot. And, the reason why we asked you again and again is that, none of the housekeeping staffs saw the bag in your room as well as in the bathroom where you mentioned you hanged it. Secondly, because you had earlier forgotten your laptop in your taxi and your phone in Nagarkot Hotel, we were of the thought that you may have left it somewhere outside the hotel. We floated the picture of your bag in all the departments and had a strict checking in every possible place of the hotel premises for similar looking bag and shampoo brands or other container with brands that you had mentioned but we could not find any. With our security checks, it is not possible for any staffs to take these things outside the hotel gate.
We have had many cases when guest left their digital camera, smart phones, chargers or clothes or shoes in their room but they were always returned or sent back to their addresses after informing our guest.

This is the first such case at Shambaling and we sincerely hope will be the last one too.

I am very sorry about your missing toiletries bag (backpack) and all the jewelries that was inside it. Please accept my apologies for not being able to give you a letter as it is already registered with the police. We will follow up with your case and will send you a police report as soon as it is ready.

Thank you for your best wishes.

Please feel free to contact me for any further assistance.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We ended up staying at Shambaling Hotel after having reservation problems with Rokpa guesthouse. After a long day, we were greeted by the staff with warm welcome and delicious walnut juice. Staff were always polite, professional and always helpful. The garden, restaurant and alfresco dining area also had a beautiful ambience. The place is also at the centre of town with the stupa within a close 10 minute walk. Definitely a hotel I can recommend at Bouddha!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank o1o129o
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feed back. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate you comments on our team and the garden restaurant as well as hotel location which is just about 7-8 mins walk to Boudhanath.

It was our pleasure to have you at Shambaling and we look forward to welcoming you in near future.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stayed at the Shambaling during the latter part of April, 2014. I chose it because of ‘tripadvisor’ and its reviews as this was our first adventure in Nepal. So I was compelled to write this review for anyone who is interested in staying at this hotel. I must say at the onset that this is not a cheap hotel by any means. We booked through Expedia and it was fairly expensive for a Nepali hotel.

The location of the hotel is very close to the Boudhanath and is walking distance to the stupa. We did that walk the first night in the dark which is not recommended through a short cut alley. Almost got totally lost. During the day it is fine and very safe. The courtyard of the hotel is very calm and serene and is well away from the hustle and bustle, and dirt of the outside. Getting to the hotel is a nightmare as it is written by others. It is off of a dusty back road clearly in need of an upgrade. Also good luck if you need to be dropped off by a taxi as nobody can ever find this place. Remember to take a business card from the hotel front desk. Getting AC in your taxi is almost impossible. The local taxi from outside of the hotel just does not have it. Even getting to the hotel from the airport via their own pickup had no AC. Quite a surprise for us!

Upon entry to the hotel you will get the customary Tibetan welcome. We had a lovely suite called the ‘Caran’ I believe. It was fantastic and very clean. Hot water was no issue and we had a reasonable Wi-Fi connection which is free. The room had AC ofcourse but if a power cut happens it will go off as it did a couple of times. The staff are very attentive and courteous and always helpful. We did have some room phone trouble at the beginning but it was quickly fixed. Note that gratuity is always included but we tipped anyway as the folks here were wonderful. They will gladly help you with any excursion including hiring a local guide.

The restaurant was a pleasure with a hearty breakfast and my wife loved their lentil soup. Dinner was also very good. Plenty of alcohol is available at the well stocked bar. Try the local brew aiyla, or a local beer. Overall this hotel is an amazing getaway. It is a beautiful hideaway and we will stay here again if we ever visit Katmandu again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank SamPerera

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to rate Shambaling Hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the service of our team and appreciate your comments on our guest room and restaurant. But I have also carefully read your comment about walk to Boudhanath in the evening, the area is very safe to walk around and we inform our guest a carry a torch light as most of the street lights in Kathmandu goes off during load shedding.

The road to Shambaling is under Kathmandu road expansion plan and I regret that it was not comfortable. We are hoping the road will be black topped soon.

Nevertheless we would be pleased to welcome you back to Shambaling Hotel in the future.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is our third visit to Nepal so we have a little experience with the city. It is tradition for us (and so many other trekkers and climbers) to stay at the Kathmandu Guest House in Thamel. This we did on our arrival, before the trek which allowed us to wander the streets of Thamel, pick up last minute trekking items at the many shops, and visit the sites close to this area of the city. On return from the trek we had 3 nights and decided to stay closer to the Boudhanath/Pashupatinath area (and the airport). The Shambaling is an oasis in a crazy city. Don't be put off by the stretch of dirt road approaching the hotel that rivals any road in the world for third world potholes, dust and rubble! It is all part of the experience - look out the window, watch daily life unfold (while you hang on for dear life) and know that you will soon make a turn through a gate into a lovely, relaxing compound. Taxi drivers may have trouble finding the hotel (we took one from Thamel one time and even with a map he was lost - but he asked directions and eventually found his way) so I advise to arrange taxis via the hotel when feasible. When you are ready to explore the area, the shortcut walk down a small alleyway/sidewalk then onto a busy narrow local street with shops servicing the Tibetan community and visitors to Boudhanath alike is wonderful. It is 10 minutes to the stupa. If you prefer that every second person you pass isn't a fellow tourist and you enjoy soaking up a more local experience, then this is your neighbourhood. We felt very safe - as we do anywhere we have been in Nepal. The staff at the hotel are very professional and attentive - they have been extremely well trained - kudos to the management. The daily breakfast in the garden was wonderful and extensive. We ate a dinner here as well and were very content. The cocktails are a treat. Our room was on the first floor (101), garden facing and was decorated in a pleasing calm, simple decor. The website pictures are pretty accurate. The hot water via the rain head shower was plentiful, the air conditioning functioning, the bed and linen quite comfortable. Who needs a TV in Kathmandu? We didn't miss it one bit. The wifi worked very well both in our room and in the garden. Thank-you Shambaling for a great stay.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor, room 101, which is at the end of the hallway, facing the garden and qu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank hamiltonfamily4

Thank you very much for your very positive feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the service of our team and appreciate your comments on the interior of our guest rooms. We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our breakfast in the garden and the location of our hotel.

Thank you for choosing Shambaling and we look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Jigme Phuntsok Chodon

Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Lovely little hotel with excellent customer service from very friendly staff.

Not all the rooms have air conditioning or TV's. Personally the lack of a TV was not an issue for me, but air conditioning in the summer months will be required.

The restaurant is well worth the visit with good food at a fair price.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your comments on our services and food quality as well as food pricing.

Television in room is available only on request and air conditioner is installed in all our deluxe rooms. We will definitely consider installing air conditioner in our standard rooms as well in coming years.

We look forward to welcoming you at Shambaling in future.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

It took me by total surprise, the route to the place, It is situated in an awful area, in literally a place with no character. Yet, the place itself is good, once you enter it. Clean, well maintained, and good attention to detail. Traditional tibetan hospitality, thats warm and courteous.

Don't take the help of the hotel to get a cab from the Airport, it is pricey for the distance. Simply take a pre-paid or taxis from the Airport, they charge 500 - 700 NPR. My suggestion to Shambaling - Please make the picking up from the Airport as part of the room rent. That is what many in Kathmandu already do.

The restaurant is good with good breakfast and coffee. Any thing extra is pricey. The people are very attentive and listen well to any issues you may have.

Room Tip: Take a garden facing room if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Solomonjp
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to write your comments. I am delighted to read that you liked our hotel and our restaurant. We are confident that we have one of the best restaurant in Kathmandu and appreciate your comment on our restaurant.

Airport pick from the hotel is an additional service for our guest convenience. Our airport representative with a driver from the hotel is outside the airport to personally receive our guest and help with the bags. However, thank you for your suggestion and we shall try and consider this in future.

We look forward to welcome you at Shambaling again.