“First choice in Kathmandu”

Shambaling Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 201 Hotels in Kathmandu
Dusseldorf, Germany
“First choice in Kathmandu”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This hotel is our first choice in Kathmandu.
The team is extremely nice. There is a very pleasant and friendly atmosphere in the hotel and in the restaurant. The rooms are very nicely designed. The garden is beautiful and invites you to linger.
We feel most comfortable in Kathmandu Bhoudunath. The hotel fits very well into the Buddhist district.
Those who seek unnecessary luxury and complain here in reviews about bad road conditions, should look for another hotel and should please also stay there. Those who are looking for friendly people and a place that is filled with much love, will feel very comfortable here. This is our second time at this hotel and will definitely return.
5 green dots from the heart for one of the best hotels in Kathmandu!
And special thanks and 7 green dots to Tenzin Gelden for their incredible kindness, helpfulness and professionalism ;-)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Uwe M
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Mr. Uwe, The entire team would like to thank you from our heart for the wonderful review. We are all very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us on both your visits. Our aim is to make our guest comfortable and at home during their stay with us and I am glad you experienced it.
Warm Regards,
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed there for 5 nights in december through Jan for the new year and though the place is a well maintained and the staff are very courteous , since its a new hotel they didn't have many things in place.

at nearly 5000 INR for a night its actually pretty costly considering the fact that they didn't even have warmers in the room and Nepal in Dec can get very very cold.

They have bed warmers but it was not working at all.
The food menu has a limited list and the complimentary breakfast offered is the same everyday.

It would have been better if they had atleast changed the breakfast menu.
Apart from this there was no problem with the hotel.
They say that the hotel is a work in progress and they are getting things in place still , but in that view they seem to be missing some key points that a traveller looks for while searching for accommadations

Room Tip: Ensure you ask what's on offer by directly calling them and then decided if you really want to b...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank ShamPavman C
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you for your review. It was our pleasure to have you at our Hotel. I am very sorry about the bed warmer. I understand it is very cold in December. If you had inform our front desk regarding the problem, we would have replaced the bed warmer immediately. We are already preparing few addition items in our menu. Thank you very much for your suggestion. We hope that you will give us a chance to serve you again. I assure you that you will thoroughly enjoy your stay at Shambaling. All in all I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
GM
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed here with my husband in December 2013 and after a lovely experience in Pokhara, we were quite disappointed with this one. When we entered we were received really well with the traditional Nepali scarf. From then on it was all down the hill.

Bad points :
- We had asked for a room with a garden view and with the heater and we got none. The staff didn't seem sad about it either. It was almost like "This is what we got. Take it or leave it". We had paid for this already and so we had to stick to this hotel.
- The Wifi was HORRENDOUS! You can access the Wifi only at the reception area. The entire week, I was out of touch with the world thanks to this. I missed a few important mails and notifications.
- The food is very regular. Their variety is very minimal and the coffee and tea served during breakfast is very bad. If your a morning person who values his tea / coffee, this can piss you off.
- The plumbing in the room is faulty. Somewhere in the middle of the night we heard water draining out of the pipes and when its all silent outside, this sound is really loud and annoying.
- The housekeeping comes everyday and puts in fresh water bottles in the room. If they miss it, then you will have to pay for this. None of the hotels that I've stayed at so far have charged me for replacing the complementary bottles that the housekeeping missed out on.
- The room apparently had a bed warmer and this didn't work well. Only one tiny part of one of the beds felt warm.

Frankly, I think I could have booked myself into a much better and a cheaper hotel in Kathmandu. Would I come back here? NO.

Room Tip: Rooms with the garden view I HEAR are better than ones with the view of the monastery (which really...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank TheMistressOfSpices
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Mistress of Spices,

My sincere apologies, that your experience with us was not up to your expectations. Our aim is to make all our guest feel at home and give the highest quality service in every way possible. I apologize for the bed warmer, I understand it's cold and a proper working bed warmer would be nice. If you had informed our Front staff about the bed warmer, we would have been happy to replace it with another one immediately.

Regarding the GARDEN ROOM VIEW or WIFI, all our standard rooms are monastery facing as mentioned on all the booking sites. As your reservation was in Standard room we could not allot you a Garden view room although we offered you an upgrade to our Deluxe room at a very minimal amount. It is also clearly mentioned that our WIFI is free and available only in public areas (lobby and garden) where the speed is high.

In regards to coffee/tea, I inquired with our F&B manager. I was informed that on the very days you were with us, other guest really appreciated our coffee and one of our guests even bought a packet of the coffee which we served as this is the one of the highest quality Organic Nepali fresh coffee. I am therefore quite surprised with this remark. As for the complimentary water bottles, we keep new bottles as and when the water is consumed by the guest and we do not charge any amount for complimentary water consumed. However, if you consume both the bottles and use water from Mini Bar then that is chargeable. Since we take all our guest comments and suggestions very seriously, I personally checked with the accounts department and there were no bills where you have been charged for any water.

Lastly, on behalf of the entire Shambaling family, I would like to once again apologize for any details that went unnoticed by me and my staffs during your stay with us.

Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We spent seven delightful nights at this lovely boutique hotel! As it happened it was my husbands 50th birthday whilst we were there and we were very humbled when the management offered us an upgrade to their beautiful Kala suite as a gift! It made our stay there so much more special and we could not have been more impressed with this most amazingly generous offer! During our stay 'all' of the staff were impeccable and bent over backwards to ensure that we received the best service possible! The hotel itself was an oasis from the busy streets of Boudhha, it is beautifully maintained and the food in the restaurant was superb and could not be faulted! The rates are very reasonable and we thought amazing value compared to others that we were looking at nearby! Thank-you so much to all the Shambaling staff for making our stay at your gorgeous hotel so amazing, we would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone or returning in the future!

Room Tip: It is worth paying a bit more for a suite if staying there for more than a couple of nights for a bi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leanne O
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you very much for such a beautiful review. I and my entire team is very happy to know that you both enjoyed your stay with us. At Shambaling, our aim to make our guest feel at home and provide the highest quality service. I am glad you felt our service during your stay with us. It was our pleasure to have you at Shambaling and to get the opportunity to serve you.
We look forward to welcoming you at Shambaling in future.
brighton
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I was invited to a lunch today in the garden restaurant of the Shambaling Hotel. I've been visiting Nepal for 20 years and was hugely impressed by my experience today. The staff were welcoming and charming, from the car park attendant to the manager, all took time to converse and engage with us. We were given a tour of the hotel rooms and they were large and beautifully designed, with spacious beds and bathrooms of a standard I have not seen in Kathmandu. In a land of musty hotel rooms, the whole hotel smelt of lemongrass!

Lunch was wonderful, a menu of choice without being overwhelming, they cover both western and Asian tastes. Service was attentive but discreet and again, with a genuine smile.

I wholly recommend this hotel based on a wonderful afternoon with genuinely warm hospitality.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank debsett
Thank you for the beautiful review. I am glad you took tour of the Hotel rooms. Yes, our rooms are spacious and beds are very comfortable. Deluxe rooms have rain shower which our guest loves after a long days at the city. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your afternoon at Shambaling Garden. We look forward to seeing you at Shambaling again.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

The staff where extremely helpful and couldn't do enough to help. Rooms are large and quiet. Not something you can say often in Nepal. very close to the Bodanatha stupa. Food at the Resturant was lovely and authentic Nepalese. Try the momo,s . I was there when the elections were on the staff even carried the bags across the city to my next hotel! Now that is service

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for the lovely review. I am really happy that you liked Shambaling and enjoyed your stay with us. Our aim is to make every guest feel at home and I am glad you felt our service. We look forward to welcome you at Shambaling in future.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We use Tripadvisor as our primary research when we travel, and this was a gem. We can confirm all the good things written about Shambaling.

This is a boutique hotel situated in the NE of Kathmandu - from the noise and awful pollution of the central part of the city. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the Boudhanath Stupa - the largest in Nepal and one of the main Kathmandu tourist attractions. The road to get to the hotel is terrible, (they say it will be repaved in 2014), but don't be put off as it is worth it to get away to this little Shangri La of peace. As soon as you enter the hotel gates you come upon a lovely central garden where one can sit and eat (served from the restaurant) or simply read a book over a cup of tea or coffee.

Every member of the staff is well-trained... friendly, welcoming and professional. It was lovely to be greeted like family when we returned from trips. In addition to the very helpful staff, the general manager, Mrs. Chodon also gave us wonderful assistance via e-mail before we arrived (and of course during our stay) with organizing flights and car transfers etc. If you get a chance, chat with the hotel staff. Some of them come from Tibetan refugee camps and have fascinating stories to tell.

The rooms on each floor have their ceilings painted based on Buddhist rainbow colors. We first stayed in a deluxe room overlooking the central courtyard on the 2nd floor (red ceiling). We recommend the view and also it is quieter (dogs bark all night long everywhere we went in the region). The room space was large enough to be a suite and the (King) bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was also modern (western) and good. We always travel with our own soaps, shampoos and TP. However, Shambaling provides good quality soaps and had good toilet paper etc. For our final nights, we were surprised and delighted to be upgraded to one of their two larger suites which have even better bathrooms. I only wish we had more time to hang out and just chill in these lovel suites.

Food in Nepal and the region is generally not that great, but the food quality at Shambaling was better than average. We particularly enjoyed all of the soups (especially the Dal) and the breads and pastries (which were generally good everywhere in the region). Again, the best aspect was the excellent and friendly service.

The only area that could use improvement is the car service that the hotel uses for airport transfers. The cars they used were rather old and less comfortable. For our daily car rentals that one needs to get into town or for meetings, we used a different service as the cars were new and more comfortable.

Staying at Shambaling Hotel was a great choice for us and we would enjoy staying here again.

Room Tip: Overlooking the courtyard. Also, I don't know if this happens all year round, but people were b...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank T S
Thank you for staying with us and for your wonderful review with detail of your stay and our services. It was a pleasure to have both of you at Shambaling and was pleasure meeting you personally. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found Shambaling as good as "the good things" mentioned on trip advisor.
Thank you once again for your review, we really appreciate it.