“Best service and Serenity”

Shambaling Boutique Hotel
Ranked #3 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed in Shambaling for 5 days during our recent family trip to Nepal. It's located nearby Boudha Stupa, within walking distance, but away from the chaos and cacophony. Tastefully decorated rooms, simple but great food menu at restaurant, but most importantly best quality service. Hotel staffs are not only professional, but very personable. We also arranged our trip to Pokhara, Nagarkot and roaming around in Kathmandu through their concierge, and everything was arranged as promised and on time. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Get a Garden facing super deluxe room if you are travelling in winter time, those rooms are fitted w...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear Mr. Anol,
Thank you very much for taking time to write your beautiful review. It was a pleasure to have your beautiful family as guest at Shambaling. Our goal is to make our guest feel comfortable and provide the highest standard service. I am glad you felt it and enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcome you and your family at Shambaling in future.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Just spent a night at the Shambaling Hotel. Most taxi drivers are quite clueless about the hotel but I was fortunate enough to have found one.

The hotel was serene and nice - a huge contrast from the hussle and bussle of Kathmandu.

Friendly reception - checking was a breeze, the reception lady gave a tour of the room which was nice. They had international adapters, hot water, electric blankets, non interruptible electricity and a nice restaurant. The weather in Nepal can be nasty and the above would make your stay here very pleasant.

Walking distance to Boudha Stupa but it can be quite tricky walking back to the hotel at night as the streets are almost pitch dark. I missed my turning and lost my way but after going around and round I finally found the hotel.

Its the only hotel I stayed in Kathmandu during winter - I think its a great hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for choosing Shambaling for your stay in Kathmandu. I am very glad that our service quality was up to your expectation and you enjoyed your stay with us. We are all very happy to go though your review and happy to know that, you think "it's a great Hotel".

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Shambaling is a true refuge in Kathmandu. Located very close to Boudha Stupa, a short, pleasant, safe 10 minute walk, yet far enough from everyday chaos, noise and dust of the city, Shambaling will embrace you with it's peaceful calm, charm, impeccable service, clean, beautiful, spacious rooms with stunning Kalachakra design and thoughtful touches like meditation bowls, hair dryers (oh my), fluffy cloudlike cozy comforters and pillows, and what might be the best hot shower in Nepal. From the moment you walk onto the property, you are greeted with genuine respect and care, and the atmosphere of a place where you can just simply rest and restore yourself. Treat yourself to this gem, you will be glad you did. I am definitely coming back.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet on both sides of the hotel, courtyard or monastery.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Irina,
Thank you very much for taking time to write about your experience at Shambaling. It was a pleasure to have you at Shambaling and to have met you personally. We are very happy to go through your review and glad to know that you genuinely enjoyed your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you at Shambaling soon in future.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Our stay here was great. In a quieter part of town, facilities were perfect and the food was amazing. Decently priced and the staff were unbelievably accommodating and were there for any advice we needed.

As it was our first time in Nepal, we were made to feel welcome at the Shambaling and everything went to plan, with no dramas with our booking or anything else. We would recommend this to anyone looking for a quality but reasonably priced hotel to stay at in Kathmandu. 5 min walk to the Boudha Stupa as well!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mr. Tom M. Thank you very much for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure to have you both at Shambaling. We are all very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcome you at Shambaling in future.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights after I exit Tibet into Nepal. Frankly, on my way there, I wondered if I had chosen the right place, as I was exhausted & needed a good bath, good sleep, lots of hot running water and quality chocolate.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by smiling and helpful staff. In fact, all the staff ( from the reception to the manager) had this "we are here to help, please" kind of disposition about them and you could see and feel that they really tried their best and put in their best effort.
At the reception counter, I casually asked where I could get some chocolates as I felt deprived for so many days. And later, out of my expectations, the manager brought 2 medium bars of Toblerone to the room. I had developed sun sensitive skin in Tibet and therefore, insisted on a room with little or no sun. My request sounded weird ... it being cold winter and there I was, so afraid of the sun. However, the staff went up and down the place with me, going through at least 3 rooms to suit my requirement. I am thankful for such kind and patient service.
The room did not disappoint too. It was beautifully decorated, very cosy and had a nice door lock. Oooh... my first night was heavenly as I had plenty of hot bath water ! My room overlooked the attractive garden. And the best part was, wi fi was somehow accessible from the room even though it was stated only in the lobby and restaurant. I slept so happily on my first night.
Before my arrival, the kind management had offered to arrange for a personal wi fi device for me. That was some time ago and upon checking-in, I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel actually remembered my request. Thumbs up!
The hotel is located around 7-10 mins' walk from the Stupa area. Do not be deceived by the exterior of the hotel building. It may look unimpressive and not that new (the hotel is around one and a half years' old) but what goes on inside is terrific .... great staff & service and beautiful & comfortable rooms !
This Tibetan style hotel definitely has very great potential, to rival places like Hotel Tibet International. And at a much more attractive price too. Truly good value. Kudos to u! Keep it up !

1  Thank Lisa P
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Lisa,
Thank you for your time to write about your experience at Shambaling in such detail. Any special request from our guest is always a priority for us, we remember it even if it was mentioned couple of months ago. Our aim is to provide a personalized service to all our guest and I am glad you found the room of your preference (with less sun).
We are all very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt well taken care of during your stay with us.
We look forward to welcome you at Shambaling in near future.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I took a chance on Shambaling by reading trip advisor. It is a wonderful hotel, the rooms are extremely clean and well thought out (different colour each floor). the nepali Thali in the restaurant was surprisingly excellent (had it twice), but the thing that makes this hotel so special are the staff - unbelievably freindly and helpful. As soon as you arrive they cannot do enough for you - always with a smile. The manageress came outside and walked quite a distance with me to show me the route to Bodnath to ensure i did not lose my way. Amazing! This will be my number 1 choice when I visit Kathmandu in future.

Room Tip: there are upgraded rooms and normal rooms, I stayed in both (two visits) and would be very happy in...
1  Thank caracal56

Thank you for your review in detail. It was my pleasure to show you the way to Boudhanath. It was pretty late therefore I wanted to be sure. We are all very happy that you choose to stay at Shambaling after reading the reviews and we exceeded your expectation. At Shambaling, Our goal is to take care of our guest in the best possible way and I am glad you received the same. Thank you for staying with us and we very much look forward to having you at Shambaling in future.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Our Everest BC trek group of four stayed at the Shambaling before and after our trek. The Shambaling is well-situated, a short (10 min) walk to the Boudha Stupa, a must-see if you're visiting Katmandu. Rooms were very comfortable (and, oh, the shower was hot and relaxing after two weeks trekking!), courtyard garden is great place to sit and read, hotel staff (especially my new-found friend and doorman, Norbu Sherpa) were very friendly and helpful, and the food and service in the restaurant were exceptional. The Shambaling is truly a little oasis in the middle of the chaos and dust of Katmandu. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

It was very nice to go through your review. Thank you very much for your time and caring to write about your experience at Shambaling. Our aim is take care of all our guest in best possible way and I am glad you felt it. We are very happy that liked the rooms and equally enjoyed the rain shower.
Thank you for choosing Shambaling for your stay in Kathmandu.
We look forward to welcome you at Shambaling in near future.
Ward Regards,