“Great hotel in the heart of Thamel”
Review of Hotel Access Nepal

Hotel Access Nepal
Ranked #45 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Access Nepal Hotel is one of the larger and grander hotels in Thamel. Thamel is the backpackers district of Kathmandu, and a great place to stay. Everything you need is a stone throw away, and the streets/hotels will be full of friendly people who can help you organise your trip. Within Thamel, Access Nepal is strategically located near the more buzzling streets with noisy pubs and good restaurants. Its just a few steps away from pumpernickel bakery (Good for breakfast) and Roadhouse Cafe (Good for Lunch/Dinner), and is also beside Kathmandu Guest House (KGH, just next door).
Most taxi drivers may not know the exact location of Access Nepal hotel just based on the address. If this happens, pass them the phone number, or try going to Kathmandu Guest House instead.

One interesting thing about the hotel when you walk in (instead of booking online), is that there is not exactly a fixed price. So its probably better to do some research by visiting other hotels before deciding, or bargaining with the owners over the price. There are lots of hotels in Thamel, at different price ranges.

The room was clean and good, certainly one of the best (if not the best) among those we stayed in Nepal. Power cuts are common in Nepal, but Access Nepal fixes that by using a backup battery that runs during these power shortage. However, during the period of time, only the lights are working (plugs do not work). The wifi and hot water also works perfectly. The room includes a small refrigerator, but we never found any use for that, especially given the power cuts. The 'sound proof' windows work to a certain extend, blocking off most of the noise from the live bands in the pubs nearby. The music stopped about 12 midnight on a Saturday night.

We stayed there for 1 night (on the 3rd floor), and would have gladly extended our stay if not for the planned flight.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank l0nEr
Subash k, Owner at Hotel Access Nepal, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you so much not only for staying with us but billions of thanks for spending your valuable time to reviewed our hotel, we are so glad that you had checked the different hotel but like ours for your accommodation. I had already shared your review with my staff that they are helpful to you. I definitely I take note your suggestion such as power plugs not working of the room during the power cuts, but also suggest our valuable guest we do have enough power plugs in Lobby to charge battery or phone for our guest during the power cuts however the power plugs also work when there is generator back up. I am sure that we will have another chance to serve you again in near future. wish you all the very best for your every steps. Thank you,

Reviewed April 27, 2014

First, you have to level set what you are expecting in a hotel if you are going to Kathmandu (it is not a five star city like New York City or Maui). We were doing a Base Camp Trek with Ace The Himalayas, and this was our first and final stop. So what you want in a hotel in Nepal is clean rooms, a friendly/helpful staff, great price, and other amenities. Hotel Access Nepal hits it out of the park on all of these categories.

The Staff: From Nina's smile at the front desk, to the always helpful bellboys, the courtesy and service you get at your breakfast from the kitchen staff, to the outstanding service from Dhruba the manager. More than anything else the staff made my son and my stay a fantastic one.

The rooms were clean (nice room, air conditioning, flat screen TV, free wi-fi, and everything you'd want in a bathroom). Buffet breakfast that came with the room every morning was great - good food, fun view of Thamel, great service.

Now Thamel is in the heart of the shopping district. It is loud, it is lively, it is fun. If you want a super quiet stay in Kathmandu, don't stay in Thamel. but if you want to be at the heart of the city, feel safe, and have access to stores, bakery, bars, music, food, and shopping - Hotel Access Nepal is the place to stay.

It's not the Ritz, but we did stay at two other places while in Kathmandu, and Hotel Access Nepal was far superior. Again, can't say enough about the staff under Dhruba Dharel's management. Sincerely a great stay.

When we go back...this will be home base.

Room Tip: Room's closer to the street may have more nightlife noise, but I found all rooms were good!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Subash k, Owner at Hotel Access Nepal, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you so much for giving us a golden opportunity to serve you during your holiday in Nepal as well also many thanks for spending your valuable time to reviewed our hotel. Each of your words is really valuable and all your sentences give us an extra energy to serve better. I already share your experience about us with my Staff Nina, Dhruba, and others. We are very glad that you like our place, food, location and service, we are sure that we will have another chance to serve you again. We wish you all the very best for your every steps. With smile many thanks.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 7 night, they have good intrrnet 24 hrs, no problem for the hoy water. Nice room with balvony. The staff were very helpful, very good breakfast in sunny rooftop reastursnt, choose this hotel without any hesitatation.

• Stayed: April 2014
Subash k, Owner at Hotel Access Nepal, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you so much for staying with us. we are glad that your like our service and stayed with us for 7 night. Thank also for your recommendation to the other visitors for our hotel. we hope to see you again. Thank you,

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I had booked the hotel for 1 night before the trip, just in case the hotel is below my expectation. When I 1st arrived at the hotel, the staff Gotum had been helpful to help picked up the luggages from taxi ( the taxi was stopped at the junction of busy traffic so taxi driver was not convenient to help out, and my luggage are many). Spent only one comfortable night at kathmandu and I went trekking for 13 days and back to this hotel again. The receptionist Debendra was always helpful and friendly in providing information like currency exchange, tourist info, others. The hotel is clean and strategically located in Thamel, so its very convenient to do shopping, dining, and others within walking distance. Most of the rooms are with balcony with view towards the Thamel Street. However, the windows & doors have perfectly sound proofed so I was not disturbed by the street noises. Overall, I think the hotel worth the price and rated excellent for my trip.

Room Tip: 501 is a very nice view room at top floor !!! Must get this room !!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Subash k, Owner at Hotel Access Nepal, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear Kengpin,
Millions of thanks not only for staying with us, but thanks a lot and lot for reviewed our hotel with excellent mark. We are very glad that our staff were very much helpful to you which I had already shared with them. It was our pleasure that you like our service and staff so you came back to our hotel for your second visit after the trek,
I am glad that our sound proof windows and doors deduct the noise and you had not any problem for sleeping, I have no doubt that you will give us a chance to serve you again in near future. wish you all the very best and good luck for your every steps,
Subash & Team.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Access in April - 2 nights before our trek and 3 nights after our trek.
It is in a good location right in the heart of Thamel, right across from the supermarket and close to lots of shops and restaurants.
The rooms and facilities are good, with a nice rooftop breakfast and good wi-fi (when Kathmandu power is on).
The staff are great and very helpful, and looked after our excess luggage whilst we were trekking.
However you do need to get used to the noise at night - Thamel is very busy and the music blares away to 2am and then early morning noisy street cleaners and barking dogs can be annoying. Prior to the trek we found the noise hard, but on returning we got used to it and slept right through it. I would think most hotels in Thamel would have the same issue with noise - possibly staying outside of Thamel is better if you don't like noise at night.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter_Clare_50

Dear Sir/Madam,
We, thank you for staying with us during your holiday in Nepal, also many thanks for your reviewed our hotel, we are very glad that you like the location of our hotel as well as breakfast, Wifi, and rooms, I hope you will choose us again if you will make a plan to visit Kathmandu again. wish you all the very best and good luck. Thank you.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I checked into Access after escaping from another disappointing (untidy) hotel nearby and I was glad I made the switch. The staff were great and gave me a good price for my last minute booking and I love the clean and well-lit room I was given. The staff were helpful and I've had friendly exchanges with them during the 7 days I was there. Pros: Great location and friendly staff. Cons: It can be noisy on club nights.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you so much for staying with us as well as your feed back, we are very glad that you found our staff are helpful which I had already shared with them and your like the location. we hope that we will get another chance to serve you again, we wish you all the very best and good luck.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I had justtwo nigh in this hotel. I had wonderful stay and great pickup from the airport . The manager was very helpful and kind. He Always around the hotel know each thing regarding to the hotel either the problems of internet or laundry . It may be some of the room has noise because of its center location but depend whip room you choose, the balcony room may be some noise, But i am not fully accept the both review publish recently. Thanks guys.

Room Tip: Choose he room with no balcony
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank deb pan p

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thanks a lot for choosing our hotel as well as rating us as excellent, we are so glad to serve you as well as glad to know that you did not have any problem during your staying with us, Your feed back will always help us a lot to improve our service to our valuable clients, I hope to get another chance to serve you again, wish you all the very best, Thank you so much.