“Best Hotel in a decent Locality”
Review of Hotel Gangjong

and 1 more site!
Hotel Gangjong
Ranked #167 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I know i am a little late in writing the review for this wonderful property.
I happen to visit Nepal in the year 2008 and being students, we were looking for a great budget hotel.
Luckily we got introduced to Hotel Gangjong by a friend on mine who also helped us getting a good enough discount. I must say that the property is excellent. Also, staff is very courteous and helpful

Few cons are : the locality is not very good. Hotel is situated in a small lane. Also, it is better to have the food outside.

Room Tip: Good to opt for this, if you are going with friends
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Gangjong

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I used to stay in this hotel since last one year.Nice and cooperative employees.Value for money.Food items are normal. not so high price as well as quality.Morning break fast you cant find more varaities.Over all ok.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rajkumar862
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed here before and after our trek,, coming with a group, so the choice was not ours and we don't know the price paid. First we had a room at the backside, good , with a nice bathroom, We had dinner in the diningroom, rather slow service, but reasonable priced, and when it came, quite good. When we returned we had a room at the front, first the electricity was not working. The staff ws quick in fixing the problem. The next day,the toilet overflowed. Again, it was fixed when we returned from our day, but looking at other reviews, the plumbing seems to have problems.
Breakfast was rather large and more than enough on all our days.
The hotel is some 20 minutes walking from Thamel, along a road which is still not finished, so either dust or mud.

Room Tip: Rooms at the backside seem to be quieter
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 22, 2013

we a family were there for a night and the next day was the national election. We had booked some other hotel in Thamel area and I was told that all public transportation will not be available on this day till 5pm. So I ask the reception can We check out sometime after 12 as we are locked here till 5. They replied no you need to check out at 12 as other guests are coming. Then i asked if there is no vehicle then how come they can check in. Reception didnt reply anything. One nepali guy (may be floor supervisor) was standing there and said to the reception "as this is an exceptional case so kindly allow them to stay till 3pm even" but the man in the reception didnt agree and I have checked out at 11.30 and walked to Thamel area with all my luggage.
I will never ever come close to 1km proximity of this hotel in my life.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 2Raffee
Reviewed November 14, 2013

When you arrive, the hotel seems extremely palatial but appearances can be deceiving. In my first room, there was a lack of lighting in the room, the 2 lights over the bed did not work, and there was no hot water at 5.30 pm. The next day, the key to the door did not work (twice) and I had to get staff to bring the master key to open the door. In my second room, the TV didn’t work and the plugs were of the old 3 pin type, not the hybrid 2 plug / 3 plug type making it difficult to charge things. I did discover afterwards mind that the front desk had chargers. I woke up early due to jetlag and started reading at 4.0 a.m. in the morning however the lights suddenly went off and did not come back on again until later in the morning. Breakfast was buffet style with a good selection of hot and cold dishes. The location is not great. It is about a 30-minute walk into Thamel and the road resembled a permanent construction site.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back. There is a barking dog that always starts up around 2.00 a.m.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2013

First time we stayed the room had dirty carpet and air con not working. Our friends had dirty sheets on the bed. Unfortunately we had already booked and paid for a return visit a few days later but were given a room on the 6 th floor which was a big improvement - Quite clean and air con working. The staff were very disinterested in any complaints. Breakfast was pretty poor. ( stale cereal and rancid butter) I would not stay there again
They did allow us to keep a bag there for our return. Money exchange was at a good rate

Room Tip: 6th floor seemed the better option.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed in Hotel Gangjong for two nights. It is on the main street and pretty decent.

Good
Rooms were very spacious
Restaurant delivered food timely to the rooms

Bad
I got a different room the second night and the bed in that room was not that good.
The wash-basins got clogged both times

Overall, a decent place