“VERY GOOD TO STAY IN KATHMANDU”
Review of Hotel Gangjong

Hotel Gangjong
Ranked #147 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 days and our experience of staying is too good.service was very good and break fast was part of our package and it was very good.They actually called repeatedly to have a breakfast.Menu for breakfast changed everyday and was very good.Food quality was good.Room service was very good and rooms were very clean.Staff was courteous.Very much affordable to stay in this hotel.Sacheen tours also prefer this hotel.I must say thanks to hotel staff for this wonderful stay at hotel.

sandeep,pune

Room Tip: Go for double bed and not for twin bed.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 6, 2011

Again, I stayed in Hotel Gangjong as part of a working trip so I do not know the price of this hotel. I stayed here for two nights - the first I had to share with a colleague so it was a twin sharing room; the second night I had a room to myself.

The twin room we had smelled very strongly of medicated oil. I initially thought it was used for all the rooms there, so I just lived with it. The twin sharing room was old; the furniture showing years of wear and tear, carpet quite worn, dated furniture. Nonetheless, there was piping hot water within minutes of turning on the hot tap, and I had a good shower (no toiletries provided at all!). The heating was also working, so we had the room warmed (in Kathmandu early winter). The bed was fine, sheets clean, blanket warm. There was a TV which also provided cable tv - HBO, starworld, BBC, CNN, etc.

The downside to the room other than the decor and age was also the soundproofness, or lack of. Even with windows firmly shut, I woke easily to early traffic honks and dogs barking in the middle of the night.

The second night (separated by a week) I had a double room to myself. This room was somehow much plushier than the twin room I had - the carpet was thicker, newer, and looks quite luxurious. The fittings and furniture looked newer, though still rather dated, it actually looked good. The bed was fine. There was toiletries - shampoo and soap, shower cap!

However, the hot water took some time to heat up. Also, the heater was not working this time - I turned it on and expected it to work but I slept so poorly as it was freezing cold the entire night! The blanket was not even thick enough to cope with the cold. Horrid.

There is wifi at the lobby only. It is passworded, but I simply went to the receptionist and he typed in the password for me in my iphone (they do not give out the password for some reason), and I got to use wifi whenever I was in the lobby.

Breakfast was fine - local food - vegge, omelet, toast, yoghurt.

The area around the hotel - not that much but it was about 20 minutes brisk walk to the president's palace. There are several cafes around but they seem to only open from about 8.30am or 9am onwards. There are several supermarkets nearby.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank areisende
Reviewed November 6, 2011

The carpet is quite dirty. The space under the basin is dirty too.

I was sick and I wished to have a hot shower. It was around 3 pm. The water is the bathroom was freezingly cold. I can only feel a bit of hot water at 6 pm.

I still remember the big eye and skinny guy at the reception who never smile and greet. I enquired about charges of the internet usage at the lobby. I couldn't remember what he has said, could be 60 to 120 rupees per hour. Then, I walked a bit distance from the hotel and able to find one cybercafe charged me 30 rupees per hour.

The next day I asked the reception again, the big eye skinny guy not there and a smart looking guy said to me that it is free of charge for me to use the internet and computer at the lobby but the internet was not working.

I really do not know who is honest.

And then the next day, I saw the big eye skinny guy again and asked him whether I can use the internet. He said yes. However, I found that the internet was not working.

It seems like Gangjong Hotel did not care about it.

I spent 3 days in the hotel. At the last day, I got a room at first floor which is very near to the hotel restaurant kitchen. I smell cooking and even smoking. It was extremely noisy outside the room too and I couldn't have good rest eventhough I was sick. Then, I switched on the air-cond and got rid of the smell.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Jane L
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I make my Indian group stayed in this hotel from 23rd Sep to 26th Sep 2011. Rooms are good & spacious. But services are pathetic. Our bed tea was a part of the package & daily we need to request them to serve it, they don't want to serve it in the room and daily ask my guest to come down at the restaurant & have it there. Serve stale food with a limitation to the quantity. In our package it was unlimited buffet & always they say sorry this item is over you can take another item. Location is good walking distance from Radisson & Shangrila. Never stay in such type of hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank RishiKhandelwal
Reviewed June 24, 2011

This Property is 3 Star property buy facilities are just like 5 star. I and my family stayed with Kailash Yatra Group. This is in the heart of city and in the area of Lazimpat. Rooms are very Spacious built and interior are also well designed. The maintaince is excellent.
Toilets are also very neat and clean with bath tubs, showers, dryers etc.
Breakfast is also good. Veg and Non-veg items both are served.

Nearby some departmental stores are also their for daily uses and good things collection. Cyber cafe, Tours & Travels, Wine Shops, Mobile shops Etc. are their.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank RohitGaneriwala
Reviewed June 3, 2011

This is hotel is located in Lazimpat in Katmandu , just 5 minutes away from the Radisson hotel, it is the best valur for money hotel . The rooms are clean , the staff is friendly and food is delicious. They serve buffet breakfast which has a huge menu.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Jayesh8989
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Everything was a bit worn, and not terribly clean, but the bedrooms were spacious and the location was good and pretty central. The breakfasts were not very appetizing, but the staff were helpful, and overall this was good value if unexciting.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business