Nirvana Garden Hotel
$69
$109
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsthe hotel sitssheets and towelsthamel districthuge roomperfect place to relaxquiet locationwould recommend this hotel to anyonetwo nightsan oasisbreakfast includedfree wifihustle bustledecent hotelheartnepalupgradesrelief
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Our stay at the Nirvana Garden Hotel was unpleasant from beginning to end. The hotel staff were not only unhelpful, but they were also rude. In particular the fron desk and resturant staff. On top of that the garden was lame and the room was uncomfortable.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HowPos
Reviewed October 24, 2007

We stayed at the Nirvana Garden Hotel for 2 nights

Advantages:
- Hotel consists of 2 buildings with a nice quiet garden in between
- Hotel is located in a cul-de-sac so it is a very quiet location in Thamel
- In the rear building the rooms are bright and clean and have a balcony facing onto the garden
- TV in the rooms
- We had 24hr hot water in the rooms at this hotel (although it was sunny)
- Restuarant downstairs
- Although the dogs sleep by day and bark by night in Kathmandu, this hotel is well sheltered from the dogs, so a good sleep is guaranteed
- Slightly pricier than other hotels (30 USD + Tax) in the vicinity, but the price/performance is justified.

Disadvantages:
- Although they advertise "Visa accepted here", they charge a 5% surcharge if you want to settle your bill using your Visa Card
- European tour groups tend to stay here, so it can get quite full. Tour groups tend to want to do the same thing at the same time, which always leads to congestion of the facilities they are using.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages for the Nirvana Garden Hotel, however we had to move out because the rooms were booked by a tour group in advance.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RPB88
Reviewed December 9, 2006

i am a frequent traveller to KTM for work and I stayed 6 times in a year at the Nirvana Garden Hotel. People are friendly and the garden provides peace in the tumult of Thamel.
Very conveniently located near a school so it is very quiet at night.
My only minus point is that in winter, you have to ask for heaters. they are not systematically installed in the rooms.
Overall excellent value for money and peace in the heart of the city with rooms having lovely balconies

Francoise

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank tangpa
Reviewed November 24, 2006

I travelled to Nepal with my family at the end of October through mid November. While in Kathmandu, we stayed at the Nirvana Garden hotel after learning of it from the internet. It had quite many positive reviews. We went to the hotel's website and used the form to send our reservation. We heard back from the hotel after a day acknowledging our reservation.

When we got to the airport, we were met by someone from the hotel as we had requested airport pick up. After about a 20 minute drive, we arrived at the hotel. Our room was a Double Deluxe. We were satisfied with the room - it had nice clean bed sheets, clean towels and the room was cleaned daily. The staff are courteous. The restaurant serves a wide variety of food. What we enjoyed very much was the hotel's wonderful garden. The profusion of plants and trees with a water-fall in the corner was really therapeutic after a long day of sightseeing in and around the city. One small complaint that I have about this hotel is the hotel tends to receive groups that stay at the hotel. They tend to crowd around the lobby either when checking in our checking out. But since I spent most of my time either in the garden or in the room and not in the lobby, it didn't bother me too much. All in all, a great hotel to stay in when in Kathmandu.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank 1Trotter
Reviewed October 28, 2005

Although this hotel was recommended to us by a company using it for its groups, I was very disappointed by a lot of things. First the car promised to take me from the airport did not come and I had to wait and take a taxi. Second, the rooms confirmed on reservation, were not according to the description. It was mentioned that the deluxe rooms had private balcony facing the garden and priced at US$31 +13% tax. We had 3 rooms reserved, got only one and two other, without balcony.,which were priced at US$26+13%tax. On my asking the manager answered that they could not reserve special rooms as they give them on a first come, first give basis. The garden was nice and quiet. The breakfast is served in the garden but on a terrible slow pace. After taking my order it took 1 hour to get not what I ordered. After complaining to the manager the next day the whole thing took 15 minutes. The last complaint I have is about the bill: although we didn't get the rooms we reserved, we were forced to pay for the more expensive ones, so we payed for what we didn't get. I just didn't have anymore energy left to complain and fight for our rights, as surprisingly we came to enjoy and not to have negative feelings. But I would say that this is outragious!
As a summary I would advise anyone wishing to stay in Kathmandu, to look at other hotels and stay away from the Nirvana.

• Stayed: October 2005