“An Oasis in the chaos of Kathmandu”

Kantipur Temple House
Ranked #16 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
Dallas, TX
“An Oasis in the chaos of Kathmandu”
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Kantipur Temple House is a Gem in the midst of the chaos of Kathmandu. The staff was excellent and worked to meet our every need with sincere Namaste's and helpful advice. Amenities such as complimentary juice in the lobby while you checked in, free "safe" water delivered to the room and available in the lobby , cloth bags for shopping and a comfortable courtyard for relaxing with an Everest beer were a welcome surprise. It is quaint and charming with traditional temple architecture and realistic Hindu and Buddhist trim, a well-kept courtyard and roof-top patio.

The restaurant was excellent with an amazing variety of cuisines - Nepalese, Thai, Chinese, American/European - at very reasonable prices. Everything I tried was delicious. They have both table/chair and pillowed floor seating with a breakfast buffet that was very satisfying in both taste and variety.

Located on the edge of Thamel, it is convenient for shopping yet not in the middle of the crowd, constant horn honking, and chaos. It is not easy to find but cab drivers and merchants have no trouble in getting you there.

To be fair, there were items that put this hotel in the "quaint" category and I have only made one trip to Kathmandu so this is the only hotel I have experienced in Kathmandu. I was very happy with this experience and would strive to stay at the Kantipur Temple House if I ever return. I would recommend this to anyone with an American/European heritage and are anxious about what you will find for lodging, food and water in Kathmandu.

The "quaint" features:
- No elevators for a 4 story hotel (Plenty of strong porters to carry your bags).
- It takes a few minutes to get hot water and they encourage you to save water (cute "Shower together" to save water signs)
- Lighting (dim and intermittent, See my note below)
- Back Alley Entrance (There was a gateman who controlled access)
- No heating or AC (This was not a problem while I was there)
- Sturdy Mattresses (which I loved)
- Nepalese Door locks (a bolt on the outside of the door with a padlock. The fact that a vandal could walk by, slip the bolt and lock you in the room was disconcerting to me at first but apparently a common locking mechanism in Nepal)
- A map supplied with every room that shows you how to get back to the Hotel if you venture into Thamel. (I tried to use this once and could not find the street names in English as they are written on the map. I did get lost but was able to get back on track with information from a Thamel merchant)

Lighting Note: The electricity went out every evening around 6 or 7pm. I found the night before I left this was not the hotel's fault but a city imposed rolling blackout. It was just that no one warned us and treated it as a minor inconvenience. They do handle this outage very well with a battery system that provides one light in every room, hallway/lobby lighting and restaurant lighting. This loss of electricity did not seem to have an effect on the staff's nor the restaurant's ability to serve their customers.

Overall I was very happy with my stay. It provided the right mix of familiar American/European conveniences with Nepalese culture. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who must spend time in Kathmandu even though I would not recommend Kathmandu as vacation spot. I was in Nepal for a fabulous Himalayan trek and this hotel was a great way to begin and end that trip. Kathmandu is crowded, with polluted air and water and unbelievable traffic. Hence my "Oasis in the chaos of Kathmandu" title.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham
Reviewed January 15, 2010

First impression of this place is great, with the by now commonplace traditional nepali-style decor. It's conveniently located for Thamel, while still being in a quiet area, and the courtyard is very relaxing. But you can tell very quickly that it's run very shoddily. Staff are grumpy and snobbish. We received a discount on our rooms but weren't told that this meant we weren't entitled to breakfast. Result: Kantupur recouped its discount and we ended up eating a really poor quality, breakfast without realising we were paying through the nose for it. What's more, the breakfast price was quoted to us in dollars when we did eventually find out we were paying for it. This was translated into rupees for our bill and thane converted back in to dollars for us to pay. Of course, conversion 1 was at the hotel's selling rate, and transaction 2 at the buying rate, meaning the hotel made a tidy 20% odd on our slimy sausages. This situation at least did manage to make the otherwise very unhelpful lady at reception slightly embarassed.

As with all bad management, it's not really the fault of the staff, it rather comes straight down from the top. One of the other breakfast delights was being harassed by the owner to write a review on tripadvisor. Oops.

If you also have the same problem with the breakfast ripoff, take a few seconds walk down the lane to the delightful ladies at "spicy affair" and have a delicious meal any time of day at a very reasonable price. More importantly, and refreshingly, if you've spent too long at the Kantipur, they're really nice people.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Projapati
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed December 23, 2009

A fantastic escape from the busy streets of Kathmandu. We tried to avoid staying in too modern hotels because we wanted to absorb as much nepalese spirit as possible. Kantipur temple house is perfect. They have paid attention to every little detail, and the result is an oasis for the western eyes. We stayed there for three days and were pampered like princesses by the kind staff of the hotel. We enjoyed great food both indoors in the lovely restaurand and outdoors in the superb garden. I would highly recommend it :)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 17, 2009

A nicely designed hotel extremely well located in a quiet area with Tamil only 5 minutes walk away. The staff are very friendly and the food is excellent. They also seem to be making an effort to be environmentally friendly by providing drinking bottles and re-usable shopping bags. The only downside is the price which seemed to be a bit expensive. I'd recommend it and would stay there again. Also the beds are very hard, but then again aren't they all in Nepal?

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Clivedubai
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 8, 2009

We only stayed here for one night but the service was excellent and it was a very welcomed treat after spending 10 days travelling through Tibet.

We had lunch on the patio the day we arrived and had dinner the night we left and both meals were very delicious.

It was a very nice hotel and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a nice relaxing place to come home to after a chaotic day exploring Kathmandu.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ihavefunideas
Austin, TX
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Arriving at the Kantipur Temple House hotel after a 30 hour trip from the States and an adventuresome taxi ride from the airport through the chaos of the Kathmandu streets, the soothing relief of this calm and beautiful hotel was exactly what I needed. The staff is very friendly and helpful, happily arranging dinner reservations, taxis, storing our luggage during our two week trek to EBC, etc. Exquisitely carved woodwork surrounds every window and door. A beautiful and quiet courtyard garden, watched over by a large stone Buddha, is a great place to relax and read a book, drink a beer, or have dinner.

The rooms are large, quiet, clean, and comfortable. They could use more lighting, but as electricity is a rare commodity in Nepal, lighting most everywhere is lacking. I stayed there twice and was in a 1 person, single bed room the first time, and a much larger (409 I believe) king bed (w/ TV!) room the second time. The bathrooms are stone/marble, and very nice (although the first room tended to flood from the shower). The shower was reasonably hot and plenty strong. Electrical plugs for most nations are provided.

The breakfasts were very good there, and the one dinner we had was also very good.
The rates are very fare, but be sure to book in advance as they can fill up during high season.

Their location is very good, especially because it's close to the Fire and Ice restaurant, an Italian pizzaria that provided us with some much needed Western food.

The owner, Bharat Basnet, a very personable guy who runs the Explore Nepal group of hotels and travel services (www.xplorenepal.com), can recommend restaurants, tours, etc.

I will definitely stay there on my next trip to Kathmandu.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank MoreGasLessBrake
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed December 5, 2009

I stayed in this hotel 3 nights and i was very pleased both with staff and the rooms .

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo