“Clean, great food”

Kantipur Temple House
Ranked #18 of 209 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Rooms were clean, they had electric blankets on the beds, hot water was great. Wi fi was ok. Food was great, especially the brown bread at breakfast. All the food was home made and they have a no plastic policy in the hotel as well. They allowed us to keep our wine in their fridge for the whole stay.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a window, the "07" numbers don't seem to have.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathryn M

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Although this month of February they were in restoration the place is relaxing and allows to enjoy the style of local architecture. It is located at the edge of Thamel, just two blocks of nice walking and you are in the middle of the area of bars and restaurants. The service is fine and polite, Wi-Fi along all the hotel and a nice terrace that is enlighten with candles every night, We stayed for 4 nights in a Deluxe Room, I guess that the Standard rooms could be good enough, these Deluxe are larger, but the toilets still need some works and improve some amenities on them.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Beautiful hotel design. Elegant Buddhas and carvings. The welcome drink was refreshing and welcoming. The room was small but clean. The food was fantastic. Our stay was unfortunately for only one night so we didnt get to join in the yoga class. The overall feel of the place was very peaceful. The hotel is located right near the markets and some cheap and beautiful clothing and souvenirs can be found just down the street.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Didn't expect this beautiful boutique inside the small alleys, tucked in the corner with a character.
No doubt I love the hotel, great room service & very good restaurant staff. It was cold at night, so they had left me 2 hot water bags to warm up my bed :-) sweet!

The only problem was the 2 guys at the reception, not very hospitable. No smile with blunt answers to any questions.
Since they have a wooden flooring, its kind of annoying in the morning to be woken up by footsteps from room above LOL!

Overall, my stay was great.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I believe I reviewed this hotel 2 or 3 years ago and my feelings may have changed since then. It's still a wonderful place, an oasis in the midst of all the craziness of Thamel, but I just wish the owner would update the bathrooms. They are generally a bit scummy (and I expect a certain level if this considering the country). We had a deluxe room and every morning it took (exactly) 20 minutes for the shower water to turn warm, and then it was just a trickle and not suitable for showering. We did ask to be moved to a different deluxe room for the last 2 minutes and there we had a decent shower. One morning at breakfast we watched a mouse pop out of the bowl of cereal and run off with a corn flake! The staff is wonderful, all very kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room in the newer area, as they are a bit more updated.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank HappyMango
Reviewed January 25, 2014

As you walk around Thamel you can sense that it is a backpackers hub with all the shops, bars and restaurants. Tucked way in a small alley way away from the noise is this beautiful and well run boutique hotel. I stayed here for two nights and loved it including their service. The staff was well trained and they always tried to make conversation with the guests by asking them how the stay is going etc. The courtyard is beautiful. You can sit there for a cup of tea in the evening i.e if it's not too chilly. The rooms are clean and toilets are not very fancy but for the price they are good enough. The rooms have heaters for the cold nights. The electricity schedule is slightly iffy but that's not really in the hotel's control. They have a generator but the heater doesn't work when the generator is on. The morning breakfast at 8 USD is slightly pricey I think for Nepal standards and more so because I think the selection is very limited. Nonetheless I would recommend people to stay here for sure. If you are looking for a place which is not the run of the mill convention hotel and also not a hippie hostel then this is the perfect place for you.

Room Tip: Wireless is provided in the entire building free of charge. There are no elevators so if you are tro...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2014

It was magical staying at the Temple hotel. I loved walking into the walled sanctuary with its pretty green gardens and being greeted by friendly security guards.
My room was spotlessly clean and I loved the traditional decor and style. The room was very spacious and I really appreciated the Green philosophy, because after trekking the Himalayas for 2 weeks in the clean fresh air, it was horrible to come back to Kathmandu with all the smog and pollution. But at least Kantipur Temple is trying to reduce its footprint and I hope the other hotels follow suit.
I thoroughly enjoyed my unique yoga session which involved lots of deep breathing and stretching.
The highlight of my stay was when this distiguished fellow (Mr. Bharat Basnet, Owner) came around to greet all the guests in the morning at breakfast, and then joined me. It really added to my experience as I was able to ask him all the questions I had about why the city was so polluted and to hear what he has been doing to rectify the situation. He's very passionate about trying to improve the quality of air.
He then took me on a tour of the magnificent hotel. Which was his vision. Its a work in progress but its very impressive.

The staff were all very helpful too, as I wanted detail of an Orphanage so I could donate some gifts my friends had donated for Christmas.
Two of the ladies at the front desk even gave me a khata which I could offer to a Buddhist Llama. I was impressed.

Lastly, I loved how there was hot water bottles in the bed at night.

Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo