“Beautiful hotel in crazy Thamel”

Kantipur Temple House
Ranked #20 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I believe I reviewed this hotel 2 or 3 years ago and my feelings may have changed since then. It's still a wonderful place, an oasis in the midst of all the craziness of Thamel, but I just wish the owner would update the bathrooms. They are generally a bit scummy (and I expect a certain level if this considering the country). We had a deluxe room and every morning it took (exactly) 20 minutes for the shower water to turn warm, and then it was just a trickle and not suitable for showering. We did ask to be moved to a different deluxe room for the last 2 minutes and there we had a decent shower. One morning at breakfast we watched a mouse pop out of the bowl of cereal and run off with a corn flake! The staff is wonderful, all very kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room in the newer area, as they are a bit more updated.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank HappyMango
There are newer reviews for Kantipur Temple House

Reviewed January 25, 2014

As you walk around Thamel you can sense that it is a backpackers hub with all the shops, bars and restaurants. Tucked way in a small alley way away from the noise is this beautiful and well run boutique hotel. I stayed here for two nights and loved it including their service. The staff was well trained and they always tried to make conversation with the guests by asking them how the stay is going etc. The courtyard is beautiful. You can sit there for a cup of tea in the evening i.e if it's not too chilly. The rooms are clean and toilets are not very fancy but for the price they are good enough. The rooms have heaters for the cold nights. The electricity schedule is slightly iffy but that's not really in the hotel's control. They have a generator but the heater doesn't work when the generator is on. The morning breakfast at 8 USD is slightly pricey I think for Nepal standards and more so because I think the selection is very limited. Nonetheless I would recommend people to stay here for sure. If you are looking for a place which is not the run of the mill convention hotel and also not a hippie hostel then this is the perfect place for you.

Room Tip: Wireless is provided in the entire building free of charge. There are no elevators so if you are tro...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2014

It was magical staying at the Temple hotel. I loved walking into the walled sanctuary with its pretty green gardens and being greeted by friendly security guards.
My room was spotlessly clean and I loved the traditional decor and style. The room was very spacious and I really appreciated the Green philosophy, because after trekking the Himalayas for 2 weeks in the clean fresh air, it was horrible to come back to Kathmandu with all the smog and pollution. But at least Kantipur Temple is trying to reduce its footprint and I hope the other hotels follow suit.
I thoroughly enjoyed my unique yoga session which involved lots of deep breathing and stretching.
The highlight of my stay was when this distiguished fellow (Mr. Bharat Basnet, Owner) came around to greet all the guests in the morning at breakfast, and then joined me. It really added to my experience as I was able to ask him all the questions I had about why the city was so polluted and to hear what he has been doing to rectify the situation. He's very passionate about trying to improve the quality of air.
He then took me on a tour of the magnificent hotel. Which was his vision. Its a work in progress but its very impressive.

The staff were all very helpful too, as I wanted detail of an Orphanage so I could donate some gifts my friends had donated for Christmas.
Two of the ladies at the front desk even gave me a khata which I could offer to a Buddhist Llama. I was impressed.

Lastly, I loved how there was hot water bottles in the bed at night.

Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank GGGRio
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We liked the hotel. It's beautiful and the staff is excellent. My main issue is that the rooms are dark. They are trying hard and there are about 17 lights and switches! But even with them all on, it's not the same as good old sunlight! It also is off the beaten path, a bit. But it is a very nice hotel. We were treated very well. It's upscale with the price for a double at $100. The courtyard is a very nice place to sit away from the intense horns, fumes and traffic of Thamel. It's a port in the storm. If room light isn't an issue, it's a great place!

Room Tip: All rooms are around an interior courtyard.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marlynne P
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

On my previous visits to Kathmandu I always stayed at the Hyatt but this time I decided to try the Kantipur Temple House and loved it!
We stayed in a beautiful deluxe room. The whole place is peaceful and beautiful and NO plastic!
The food was great, the staff friendly and helpful. Location is great.
Definitely a place I will stay on my next visit to Kathmandu.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We came to this hotel because of its overwhelmingly great reviews but only to leave with disappointment. Sure, it is a gorgeous hotel, absolutely beautiful to look at. But the services? basically it doesn't exist. I am sure they have more customers than they can handle and they don't really care of losing a few. They agreed to give us complimentary breakfasts and free transport to airport on the night we arrived, but then the next day, they told us we have to pay. And all the communications (in person and emails) just didn't make us feel welcome at all. No hospitality and just plain cocky. So I'd recommend you to come here to take pictures of the beautiful architecture but stay at the brand new hotel next door instead. At least the other hotel is new and would truly value your business.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank mokx0005
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

An absolutely stunning hotel amidst the slightly scuzzy surroundings in Thamel - traditional and modern blended with taste and comfort in mind, and also eco-friendly. Service unobtrusive but very helpful. In winter, lovely touches to keep you warm - hot water bottles, electric blankets etc. Beautiful and highly recommend!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple