“Architectural pearl in the centre of Kathmandu”

Kantipur Temple House
Ranked #17 of 202 Hotels in Kathmandu
New York City, New York
“Architectural pearl in the centre of Kathmandu”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at Kantipur Temple House for 2 nights in the middle of May. The hotel is built in the same style as the century old Hindu temples which are scattered throughout Kathmandu. Focus is very much on eco friendliness and awareness on leading a non waste and quality, which is very well integrated in all operations of the hotel. Lights are constantly dimmed in the corridors and rooms, most of the vegetables come from their own organic farm outside of Kathmandu (their carrot marmelade is absolutely heavenly!), safe water is served in bronze cans in the rooms and you can fill up your water bottle free of charge (no plastic bottles for sale!), free yoga lessons in the morning, and it is peaceful and very quiet! (even though it is 2 mins walk from bustling Thamel. Their service was flawless and timely. We had originally booked 3 nights, but had an unplanned layover in Nepalgunj, so came a day later. No charge, and we were even allowed to check in at 9 am in the morning in our original rooms. As an additional bonus we had made the reservation directly through the hotel - which proved to be almost 20% cheaper that going through any of the regular agents!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Beautifully designed and built using old decorative timber windows and doors, it feels like a small palace rather than a hotel. The staff were friendly, and our rooms were always clean. Loved the peace and quiet, although it is really only a minute away from the Thamel shopping area. The peaceful gardens were a delight after the dusty Kathmandu streets, and would recommend this for any traveller.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Concord, California
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My jaw dropped when I arrived at the Kantipur Temple House. It is meticulously maintained and gives you a feeling of wonder and serenity when you walk through it, especially the garden area and the courtyard area. The staff is attentive and professional and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, even if it was only for 2 nights. My only regret is that I didn't actually spend all that much time in our hotel in order to maximize my enjoyment! Most of our time was spent in Thamel and the surrounding sights. In my personal opinion, if you happen to be someone that does spend a lot of time in your hotel, Kantipur is well worth the money. However, if you are going to be out and about, and just need a comfortable place to stay, there are hundreds of different options at half the price. Another drawback is there's no aircon, but that wasn't really a bummer since it didn't get that hot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tricheng
dundee, scotland
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel is amazing, just situated off the main road, it's close proximity to Thamel, Dhurbar Square, which can both be a little hectic...... once you reach this hotel...peace and quiet and just a lovely homely feeling. The food is amazing, we tried the traditional Kathmandu set menu, plus of course their momos, and amazing lentil soup...all were amazing. The brilliant thing is the staff, always helpful, friendly, I just wanted them to come and sit down and have a cold beer with us...rooms are clean and amazingly decorated...great thing is they have solar powered hot water so it's always available to have a nice hot shower
this is the only place to stay in Kathmandu.....

Room Tip: we stayed overlooking the courtyard, which I really enjoyed, but I think any room would be nice here
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kwmilne
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Actually, it's all said by the other travelers: nice place, clean, quiet, Eco-friendly, very good food, wonderful garden, nice rooms...
I stayed here 3 times while I was in Nepal as I really felt home there. The staff and particularly the Manager did everything to make me feel safe and at home (I was traveling by myself). I was even taken to a private sightseeing walk in the neighborhood and not to forget some very nice conversation over a cup of ice-tea in the evenings... I would definitely come back here during my next trip to Nepal!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Really lovely hotel with great staff. Eco focus so don't expect them to run generator all day to charge your phone. On the edge of Thamel so very quiet and peaceful but only 2 mins to the shops. No aircon or tv but who cares, you are on holiday!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank RosscoNZ
China
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Service -
Stayed here for 3 nights in May 2013, our first impression was the very helpful staffs in Kantipur. Mr. Digambar, the manager of the hotel was an excellent host. I wasn't able to book a fortune teller trip with one of the local touring agent cause it was fully booked, but Mr. Digambar booked me one through his contacts and got me a slot in the last day of my trip. Though at the end I didn't go to the fortune teller that he booked for me due to my schedule conflict, I still very much appreciated his effort to make his guests get the most of it in Kathmandu. There's nothing better than staying in a foreign country with a warm and professional host.

Setting -
It is a beautiful building with a lovely courtyard - that's the main reason we booked Kantipur when planning our trip. We had breakfast in the sunlight every morning in the courtyard, and chilled with with other travellers when the butter lamps were lit up in the courtyard every evening. Don't forget to check out the rooftop during sunset.

Food -
I have a very picky taste about coffee, but the coffee here impressed me. It was freshly brewed every morning. For main course, get the Nepali set and Indian fried rice. A cooling drink that had mint in it was magical, I forgot the name of it but the staff must know.

Location -
5 min walk to Thamel. It is near Thamel but not in it so it is convenient but at the same time you can avoid the noise. A local touring agent was nearby called "Alpine". Nice people too.

Room -
Could be a little dark but it didn't bother us. Pillows were very comfortable - that's very important to me, who has sleeping problems sometimes. They hv wifi signals every corners in the hotel.

Overall we were very impressed! The main reason I recommend Kantipur is good value and excellent service!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends