“Beautiful place to stay and very close to Monkey Temple”
Review of Hotel Vajra

Hotel Vajra
Ranked #114 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This is an excellent Hotel.We stayed here from 13th May till 25th May.The Hotel has a beautiful garden that sweeps around the entire Hotel.If you've been to Nepal before, you'll know that dogs can be a big problem.They sleep all day and bark/howl all night, however you don't hear the dogs in Hotel Vajra because of the beautiful garden that surrounds the Hotel.In the early morning and evening, the garden is filled with Bird song.In the evening you can smell the sweet,enchanting smell of Jasmine from the many trailing plants that cover the garden walls.

The Hotel itself is very clean inside and out and the staff are helpful,smartly dressed and polite.While we were there, the Bandha's/ strikes were on and the staff went out of their way to make sure we still had a great time whilst there.

The waiters are lovely and no one expects a tip which is great news if your travelling for a long time and watching your money.The menu has a wide choice of food for both non veg and veggies and the coffee ( as much as you can drink ) is the best I have tasted in a long time.

Our Maid/cleaner was really lovely and even brought us freshly picked flowers every day.She would leave them in our room and when we returned in the evenings,the room would smell lovely from the roses and Jasmine she had left.A lovely kind touch we thought.We're sorry we didn't get chance to say goodbye to a lovely friend we made of her.

We stayed in the back packers part of the Hotel and had a shared toilet and shower.This didn't bother us at all.The toilet was next door to our room and the shower was just down a few steps.You're given a key to the shower so you know only the guests in the back packers part of the Hotel can use the shower.There is also another toilet in the shower room.We didn't have to wait once during our stay, to use either the toilet or the shower.The Hotel provide you with fresh clean towels every day, soap and plenty of loo roll also.The bathroom's shared between 2 rooms.

All in all, it's a beautiful place with really lovely staff and we'll stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KarmaSonam

Reviewed May 30, 2012

It was during my last year's vacation when I had visited this hotel. Swayambhu Stupa or Monkey Temple as tourists commonly call it, is very near. One can walk in the morning and take a visit to the stupa and return back to the hotel for the coffee. The service of the hotel is best and I never knew staff of the hotel were so polite and obedient. They made me feel home away from home!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank nrgauli
Reviewed May 28, 2012

For the price I paid, expected much more.
The rooms are very old and basic, definitely in need of renovation .. During power cuts its very dark walking the corridors and the bathroom blacked out. The pipes and tubes need seriously cleaning or upgrading.
Bed was hard and uncomfortable, but bearable for one night. The staff seemed friendly enough and the grounds around the hotel were nice with a garden and chairs.
Not sure how far it was to walk around but while driving away I don't think too close to much.
I would have liked to see the dance show, but unfortunately had checked out and wasn't too excited about coming back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed at hotel vajra in 2000 and 2002. I was disappointing so far with my experience in 2012 and would not recommend the hotel:
Checkin:
- we were helped with our bags by two helpful porters.
- the checkin process took quite a long time. The reception staff were slightly rude and pushy and did not seem to be organise or aware of one our party's booking.
Room:
There was no electricity when we arrived. There was only one candle in our room which was not.sufficient.
- The old wing is just that, old.
- the shower was cold, the reception notified me when I told them that hot water was only available when electricity is on.
- it would be easy for the hotel to provide hot water if they had battteries or a generator as many hotels do.
Dinner:
- our party of four ordered a range of Indian and western dishes. The service was excellent and the food was of a high standard.
-the manager of the restaurant overcharged us and was very reluctant to give us the change back.
- there was a 23% surcharge on our meals. This is very rare in Kathmandu and we found this excessive.
- meals were very overpriced but if you stay at Hotel Vajra you really have no choice but to eat dinner in as there are no restaurants near by.
Breakfast:
- Service was of a good standard.
- it was dissapointing the pancakes I ordered were cold when.delivered and were not made fresh to order, They came straight off the buffet!
- Breakfast was very expensive compared to places outside.
And then my Kindle reader blew up due to their faulty power supply to top it off!
I told the management about the about issues and their response was not very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kiwitraveller1978
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Low services quality especially in front desk. Hotel charge us airport pick up which we didn't asked for it!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed at the Vajra three times in the basic room with sink during my recent trip to Nepal. As other reviewers have noted, it is a calm oasis in Kathmandu. No problem getting taxis and a easy walk to Thamel. Clean and quiet. Love it!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank TommyBrisbane
Reviewed December 3, 2011

After reading other reviews of Hotel Vajra, I decided that it was definitely the place for me to have a well deserved rest at following a week doing Humanitarian work in the rural Lamjung region in November of 2010. I chose to stay in a private room in the Trekkers House and was able to enjoy all the amenities of the Hotel at a budget price. My lovely room had a wrap around porch where I enjoyed the beautiful sunsets. My friendly housekeeper made sure I always had filtered drinking water and a clean floor, and the staff at the front desk were excellent in all recommendations. The only thing that I would mark down was the cleanliness of the bathroom in my room as the shower and basin faucet needed some deep cleaning.I also chose to utilize the private taxi service to travel to destinations around the Kathmandu valley, and I felt safe with my driver wherever I went. After taking a walk in Thamel or down to Durbar Square, Hotel Vajra was always a refuge from the noise and insanity. One evening I was enchanted to watch the Traditional Dance troup that rehearses in the Pagoda room, and enjoyed a private performance. It is too bad that other travellers did not take advantage of this unique cultural experience.I also enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the choice of menu items for dinner at the restaurant. I will definitely return to Hotel Vajra the next time I visit Nepal and Kathmandu. A video walk through of the property can be seen here: http://youtu.be/kOL405EUBjo

Room Tip: There are several different levels of room quality depending upon your budget- and I enjoyed a priva...