“Go Kathmandou, Go Alobar1000”
Review of Alobar1000 Hostel

Alobar1000 Hostel
Ranked #41 of 440 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
lausanne
“Go Kathmandou, Go Alobar1000”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hi, I stayed a few days in Kathmandou and Alobar1000 is very nice.
Helpfull people, hot shower, internet, very good price. I had a good time in this Hostel.

So if you pass by Kathmandou, go in this hostel, it's in Thamel too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of hostels around the world and this one is well up there as one of the best, especially in terms of value for money, quality of service and atmosphere. The staff here really go out of there way to provide the best possible service for their guests. They are always very friendly and happy to help. The rooftop bar and chill-out area is a great place for socialising and meeting other backpackers, which for me, is exactly what I want from a hostel since I'm travelling alone. The food is very good and charged at a fair price. Yesterday I appreciated the free cooking class that was offered by the hostel manager, which he didn't need to do, but as an example of how the staff here like to engage with their guests and show off a bit of Nepali culture.
If there was one criticism of the hostel it would be the lack of showers and space in the toilet cubicles, but this problem will not be their for too much longer. As I left this morning I noticed that work had begun on the ground floor to construct a new toilet and shower block, which is a sign of how the management here listen to feedback from guests and are quick to take action. This place is still only 18 months old so is bound to have a few flaws. But I don't think it will take too long for this strong team to make this not only a very very good hostel, but an excellent one. It will be!
Thanks for everything Alobar. Alex

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed July 2, 2013

A very welcoming team, a nice bar on the rooftop, in short, a good place to relax after an exhausting trek!
There are also some useful facilities available such as laundry (60 nrps a kilo), free info desk, free wi-fi, etc.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

After travelling round Asia, I took the plunge and went to Nepal!
First impressions of Nepal scared me a little bit, and was a proper culture shock. However, upon arriving at Alobar, Nepal felt a lot more welcoming.
For me, the most important aspect of any hostel is the atmosphere, this hostel has to be up there as one of the very best I've been too! They have their own bar, which makes meeting other travelers a breeze. I met some great people there, some of which I met up with again later on my in my trip.
The staff were incredibly welcoming, I was lucky to be there during a festival, and you couldn't help but feel part of everything!
I didn't have time to do any treks (unfortunately), so I cheated a bit and got a flight to Everest - I was going to pay a premium but luckily manged to get a discount by booking through the hostel. I actually overslept, with the taxi waiting for me, I had slept through my alarm! Luckily, the staff came and woke me up - if I had missed it, I would have been absolutely gutted! (the pictures of Everest btw were brilliant!)
Location is also top-notch - easy to get to everything (and wow, the pizza place over the road (Fire and Ice I think) was incredible)!

In all, I loved my stay - I have recommended it to everyone I've met who is going to Nepal, to people who aren't going to Nepal, I've recommended they go to Nepal then to stay here!

The people who worked there were fantastic, if I had any questions about... well, ANYTHING there was always someone to talk to! With due to the nature of the type of travelers in Nepal, most of the travelers you meet there will have a story to tell as well! The bar, and roof top were great, there is also even a chill out room!
There were also a couple of walkabouts which were also great!

Value for money - for sure, I was very happy. It is basic, but what more do you need - the nice thick duvet at night was a life saver for me!

I stayed in the dorm - which was easy to meet/talk to others. You do need to buy your own toilet paper, which can be a shock, but easy to get!

I loved it there, and when I return back to Nepal, I will be checking in here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Da Nang, Vietnam
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I love Alobar1000.From the first impression to the last impression.The hostel is the TOP. Super warm , friendly staff , clean facilities , central location ,amazing food and the fantastic rooftop makes this one of the best hostel I have stayed at.The price is very reasonable ...And its the best place you can meet people. I wish I could stay there longer as Alobar1000 family always welcome you as a member in a big family.Thanks for a great stay ..I will come back.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I really liked staying at this place but I wanted to give a few pointers for the staff since my last stay there was not so good. I understand this place is new and probably the best in Kathmandu for what they do; however, I think that there are some fundamental things that they could fix. I am going to start off by saying I love this place, the food is amazing, the set-up is great which allows for travellers to meet, and it's in a great location but there are some creases that need to be ironed out still...One, I was checked into my bed at 10 AM with dirty sheets. When I asked about the dirty sheets, Sabina at reception told me it was because I was checked in earlier and that they didn't have time to clean up yet she was not apologetic and I was made to feel as if they were doing me a favour by checking me in early. A better solution to this would be, to not check people in until the beds have been cleaned and it is not a huge issue if they have to wait until check out time at 12. Secondly, upon asking about the dirty sheets, they did not get anyone to remove them. I asked two more times through out the day and it didn't happen. Finally, at 8 pm I pulled the sheets off the bed and had to take them to the guys in the bar who were mortified that it took this long to get clean sheets. It might be a good idea to buy more sheets and pillow cases because most people in my dorm had a mish mash of linens. I used a sheet as my pillow case since they ran out of pillow cases and some people were missing sheets so were using duvets on top of their matresses. The other issue I had was with the booking office. They did a great job booking my bus to Pokhora but the second bus to Lumbini was horrible. It got off in the middle of nowhere and we had to take 3 extra buses (which we also had to pay for). Although, the local bus company is not tied to the hostel, I think it is important for the hostel to consider the standard of bus they are booking and perhaps they shouldn't be even booking the most "local" buses and instead advising travellers on how to get to the bus station and what the process is. The bus to Pokhora had been what they called a "local" bus but it was still a tourist-bus and of different quality from the Lumbini one. Overall, I enjoyed my experience but I believe the manager should still be looking for ways to improve if they want to remain being the top hostel in Kathmandu.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Originally I had planned to only spend 3 nights in Alobar1000 but this turned into over a week because I loved it so much. The location is great - you are walking distance from Thamel and central Kathmandu. All of the staff are incredibly hospitable and helpful making an effort to know who you are personally and help organise tours, treks, day trips etc. Being one of very few hostels in Kathmandu it is the perfect place for solo travellers because it is extremely easy to meet people in the common areas. I also recommend the girls dorm - the beds are comfortable and room is big, sunny and clean with drawers you can lock securely. Bathrooms aren't fabulous yet, but being a new hostel it is developing quickly. To have a place this awesome in the off season I can only imagine how great it will be during the peak.

• Stayed June 2013