“Well worth it”

Zen Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the only true spa experience in Kathmandu
Reviewed January 2, 2013

After 12 days trekking to EBC this was just the tonic for aching limbs. Brilliant. Had a trekkers massage and manicure and felt right as rain. Friendly staff.

Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

After a failed trip to another salon in Nepal, that left my hair too blonde and burnt, I turned to zen. The treatments they put on my hair were great and made it look like it still had life. I had other treatments done there also and it was all good. The staff are professional and the surrounds modern.

Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I developed acute severe hip pain after a day of walking Thamel in flop flops. I searched for a spa and found this place via TripAdvisor. I immediately went over. I had a one hour shiatsu massage, followed by a one hour foot massage (just because). I literally have no pain now, none! Completely gone following her treatment. It was an intense massage that I had breath hard through at times but totally worth it! I feel amazing and like nothing ever happened.

The spa is across from KGH but you have to walk into a little entrance, side street, to see it. It's literally right across the road from KGH. Easy to miss though. It was clean and lovely on the inside like a Western spa center. I was highly impressed and would certainly recommend.

A one hour shiatsu was 2000 rupees and worth every penny! Whatever brings you to Kathmandu make time to go here!

Thanks guys. The remainder of my holiday will be better because of you!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We literally spent two full days here after two weeks of trekking. We had great service, the rooms were intimate, and the prices were moderate. The management even gave us a discount for our next visit, which is why we went back for a second massage. The made for a great ending to our time in Nepal so our bodies were prepared for our continued travels.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We went to the Zen Experience around 7:00 p.m. It was a little difficult to see the sign, but it truly is directly across from the Kathmandu Guest House. The prices were a little high, but I am spoiled as I currently live in Vietnam where massages are excellent and very inexpensive. My husband and I decided to try the massage where they drip hot oil on your head. We did a regular oil massage first for about 75 minutes and then 15-20 minutes of the hot oil on the head. The transition from the massage to the hot oil on the head was not very smooth and ruined whatever zen I had going on. Seriously, there was about 6 people in the room setting up the oil. There was loud music starting from a bar nearby and someone in the lobby was talking to the staff very loudly. After much set-up, moving of the massage bed, etc. they started the oil. For me, it was just okay. I thought they were going to massage my head while the oil dripped, but they did not. The oil had a smell. Not a bad smell, just a weird smell. No perfumes. I have never had this done before, so I have no other basis to compare. For me, I don't think I would do it again. Of course, your hair is soaking with oil when you are done. I knew this going into the treatment, so that was not an issue. It did take a little bit of bravery to walk through Kathmandu and get into a taxi with my hair sliced with oil. I left the oil in overnight and it was conditioning to my hair. The spa offered an option to shower and wash the oil out if we wanted. I am unclear if they do hair styling or not. The spa offeres other services as well and take credit card. In total our two massages were almost $100 usd. This included a 10% service charge, so we did not give an additional tip. This is the only massasge we did in Kathmandu, so I can't say how it compares to other places. I would suspect that you could find less expensive places with the same quality service. We tried this spa because it was highly recommended on Trip Advisor. The Zen Experience does have a website showing what services they offer, but prices are not quoted on the website.