“Great hotel with great people and a good spot!”

Potala Tourist Home
Ranked #26 of 489 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for over 3 weeks. The people are great including the service they provide. The management helped me multiple occassions with safekeeping my stuff during treks. The room is good with hot water 24/7. The food from the restaurant is sufficient. Furthermore, the hotel is located nearby the busy tourists area but despite this the hotel offers a peaceful environment without the many noises from dogs and the streets. Searching for a good and peaceful hotel in the middle of thamel..choose this one!

Room Tip: For families & couples choose the room on the top floor with the terrace because of the nice sun...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Tripper743

Reviewed February 1, 2014

It was a wonderful stay there. I stayed for around 8 or 9 days with my mom and dad, located very near Thamel area( the tourist area) but not noisy at all!!! I made many friends in the hotel and all were very funny and helpful. The room was good, it was comfortable like home and wifi was good as well !! I also tried Korean food there as they had Korean kitchen and a restaurant serving different cuisines attached,we did dine in other places too but this hotel food was not that bad for regular lunch and dinner... The small balcony at the front of my room was very cozy and warm.. I loved spending time there... .. I am really missing the place already, surely would love to visit them again.

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms but I stayed in the main building, it had a small balcony whe...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Dsaji
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I stayed at Potala Tourist Home for almost a week. The room was alright - clean, of course - and the staff is friendly. Assuming you know nothing of Nepal and you're traveling for your first time - be prepared to deliberately ask for toilet paper, and watch for the daily blackouts (load shedding) and occasional cold shower. My shower was consistently hot, thank God, but it isn't always that way, of course. The staff gives you the option to leave your room key with them, or to take it with you when you go out. I stayed on the second floor, and the wifi was good (considering it's not super-fast like other countries). I slept well the whole time I was staying there, so no complaints on that part. The Potala Tourist Home is also very close to the main streets of Thamel, and is near the attraction 'Garden of Dreams' and near the Greenline Bus Station, if you're traveling. I would stay there again, if I were to go back to Nepal!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sharon O
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed there for 3 days, room was okay,clean.. little cold.. but I managed. I liked the environment, it was quiet but one night I think the neighbors were having party there was some noise at night. The price was affordable .. overall everything was managed.. staffs always asking if I needed any help.. But I was fine... well good place!! had a comfortable time...

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Crazier M
Reviewed January 1, 2014

i was here for literally one night only. I arrived at around 9pm then left at 6am the next day to catch a flight to Pokhara. I was placed in one of the rooms on the 2nd floor of the building fronting reception, not in the building where reception is located.

First impressions: room was dingy, pretty dark and a bit depressing. Couldn't really judge whether the room/bed/carpet was clean or not because of poor lighting. Wifi was good, reached my room. They were also waiting for me at the airport as I requested (not free though; it cost 700 rupees).

Service was okay. They hailed a cab for me the next day for the airport. When I got back the night before someone knocked on my room asking if i needed hot water... I wasn't sure if he meant for showering but I assumed it was for drinking cos he was holding like a thermos. Anyway I shrugged it off since I had drinking water with me anyway.

It was really cold that night; had a hard time sleeping. Would maybe help if they had more thicker blankets to layer on. Otherwise just layer on your clothes so u'd sleep more comfortably.

Next morning I tried turning on the hot water and waited a while but the water was still freezing cold. Didn't have time to ask someone about it and I didn't wanna have to step outside the freezing cold so I just went ahead and changed clothes and didn't use the shower anymore. This was probably the biggest inconvenience for me. Either I didn't wait too long for the water to warm up (I did wait quite a while, though) or the hot shower just wasn't working that day.

location wise, pretty easy to find. Near the Garden of Dreams and Greenline bus station. Main Thamel area is around 1 minute walk.

should also note that I got back to the hotel after eating out at around midnight and the gate to that alley was closed. A guard arrived and opened it and I found out that they really close it from a certain time until a certain time also in the morning. Might inconvenience some who'd get back late and suddenly find no guard to open the gate for them.

Overall, it was an okay stay, save for the depressing dim lighting and the hot shower (or lack of) incident. I'd probably stay somewhere else with better lighting (I've decided that cold weather and dim lighting can dampen one's mood quite a bit).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Alexandra L
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

The room is fairly basic but clean enough and has everything you possibly need. Shower is very hot which I love. The staff are very helpful. They looked after my luggage while I go sightseeing before my flight. They also helped me call a taxi to send me to airport and helped bring my bags to the airport. Would love to stay here again if come back to Kathmandu.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank LillianWang
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 day and we were very happy, the room and the bed were very clean the location is good cause a little bit of the main road and the craziness of thamal.The staff were so friendly and trustworthy we recommend this guesthouse,we will definitily stay here again

• Stayed: September 2013