“Quiet green oasis in the heart of Kathmandu”

Kathmandu Hi Thamel Hostel
Kathmandu Hi Thamel Hostel
Ranked #77 of 151 Specialty Lodging in Kathmandu
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I've stayed at Hi Thamel Hostel for a week now. I have a huge room at a very reasonable price with lots of natural light thanks to the two large windows and the high ceiling. I share a massive balcony with tree top views over a courtyard with a restaurant. I'm so glad my friends showed me this hostel because it has given me a homely sanctuary away from the chaos of the streets of Kathmandu. The hostel is tucked away from the main streets of Thamel down a one way street. The courtyard has many trees and plants and therefore provides a quiet, green environment. The staff are very friendly and helpful and make you feel at home. I will definitely stay here again when I return to Nepal.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the courtyard
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Kathmandu Hi Thamel Hostel

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The rooms are simple but comfortable.
The location is good a bit hiding from the main street.
And most important the staff are very friendly. I stayed there 4 times, each time they got me back with a big smile.
I looked inside many hostels in Thamel and this one gave me the nicest feeling.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed two nights May 2013. The staff were very helpful, particularly Dilip who very rapidly set up a trip to Chitwan National Park, including travel, accommodation and guides. Special mention also to our driver during our time in Kathmandu, Lama, who somehow made sense of the chaotic Kathmandu traffic, got us to where we were supposed to be on time, and showed us the sites of Kathmandu.

Room Tip: Get the dbl + single room upstairs - you will have your own bathroom and be out of the traffic areas...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed 3 days in April - no hot water the whole time, no water at all for one day. I finally gave up and left. The staff are not very clued in and are unconcerned about things (fixtures, lights, water, etc) not working well - clear evidence of absentee ownership. I had the large deluxe dbl+sgl bed room, for 1200 NRS, overlooking the courtyard, which was pleasant. The wifi worked ok. The hotel is centrally located in a small alleyway off Thamel Marg, so it is quiet. It could be excellent if maintained with a little loving care, but as it is I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank John F
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Not the cleanest place, but it's in a convenient location (close to the bus station). Has free wifi and a computer with a printer you could use in the lounge, which has a TV. The staff is helpful and someone will come to pick you up at the airport. Stayed in a six-person dormitory with it's own bathroom (+ hot shower). met some great people on both occasions I was there. Also has free purified water on the second floor, and they offer boiled water if you ask for it. Would come here again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at this hostel for 4 nights at the beginning of november.

The location of the hostel is nice, it is central but still quite as it is in an alley. The double room we stayed in was big but not very clean, especially the bathroom which was dirty. The room included a tv which is good for the value rs. 900.

Nonetheless, we had a very unpleasant time here. Of the 4 nights we only had one below average hot shower, the rest of the days we had to go to another room (which smelled like gas) or had a cold shower. We had to inform the staff before we took a shower, when we told them this was at 5 am they seemed very unhappy about it. Nonetheless, they advertise for hot water.

The most unpleasemt experience was when we checked out. We told the manager about the problems with the shower and he responded that it was a budget hotel so we needed to adjust. When we said we did not paid for that he reacted aggressivly and we felt that we needed to defend ourselves, which is ridiculous. Ow, and the wifi didn't work properly as well.

The other reviews state the restaurant is good (peace garden), which it is, but this is not part of the hostel.

Overall, there are much better budget options in Thamel with friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tim A
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed in this Hostel in 2 occasions in 3 different rooms, twice on the 2nd floor in double room with and without toilet and once in the dorm. It was a quiet place as the hostel is at the back lane. The staff are helpful, I left my luggage there for a week without problem. Price for the room was reasonable. However the hot water was annoying, doesn't work when I was there. One time it was too hot that we couldn't shower. The restaurant right in front is the best value in town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends